The GOP, Heavy Reliance On STUPID

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Today’s Republican Party: FUCK Democracy if it means we don’t win. 👺

Texas Supreme Court denies GOP-led petition seeking to invalidate nearly 127,000 votes in Houston area

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I listened to this 50ish white woman draped in a US Flag saying “I want our government brought back to the Constitution and is why I’m voting for Trump in 2020”, and I say WTF?? WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE, trying to sound smart but are clearly ignorant on the topic of what is Constitutional, out of their league, high on Orange Koolaid, spouting nonsense, clearly a mark, one of Donny’s MANY successes.

There is nothing in the Constitution about deceit, robbing us blind, outright criminality, destroying our civil liberties and sacred right to vote. Are we a country of marks on the Conman’s list? Tomorrow will tell. 🤔

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I woke up this morning cause the sunshine was streaming through my window. 30 minutes before the alarm was due to go off. (Why I have an alarm set is a subject for another thread.) The king cat deigned to accept my offering of 4 treats. Turned on Morning Joe and they just showed each losing candidate give their concession speeches, highlighting the importance of the peaceful transfer of power and the democratic process. I actually have a good feeling.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I woke up this morning cause the sunshine was streaming through my window. 30 minutes before the alarm was due to go off. (Why I have an alarm set is a subject for another thread.) The king cat deigned to accept my offering of 4 treats. Turned on Morning Joe and they just showed each losing candidate give their concession speeches, highlighting the importance of the peaceful transfer of power and the democratic process. I actually have a good feeling.

Yeah I'm gonna roll with someone who (anonymously, of course) has said that Trump will be Trump verbally and on Twitter regarding outcomes not in his favor.... but that in the end he will do what is expected on Inauguration Day if he loses, i.e. while Biden is riding to the White House after the inauguration ceremonies, Trump will get in a helicopter no longer named Marine One and fly to Andrews and get on a plane no longer named Air Force One and fly away to Florida to await whatever his new life as a private citizen may bring.

I believe Trump is entirely capable of doing that even while telling himself and his followers stuff like "this is not the end and believe me you'll see". Reality has always been a sometime thing for Trump. Pragmatism in the interests of getting to the end of a day in one piece is one thing --and he has had to walk that road many times before and during his Presidency-- but what he tells himself and others in order to maintain his fictional omnipotence can be quite something else. Nonetheless, reality is still reality.

However... that's for Inauguration Day. What this creature does between Nov 4 and January 20 may require intervention by denizens of this administration who still understand rule of law, even if they may be disappointed in assorted election outcomes. I'd like to think that perhaps some of them will drop their anonymity, having meanwhile arranged for a new landing spot in case Trump decides to fire them on the spot. It could get interesting, but I think it would be in a good way because more of it will become public in or near real time. I mean who really thinks all these guys still in the administration actually respect and admire Trump and how he has treated them while he and they have wrestled and tried to find ways to not quite break the law over his autocratic leanings?

A few nights ago I had a dream that I don't think was lucid in the sense of my having been able to control it. Anyway I dreamed that McConnell led a lame duck session Senate trial of a new impeachment by the (current) 116th House of Representatives, having discovered that he'd kept his seat but that in the 117th Senate he'd be a minority leader. I did wake up laughing.

chagla

Reaction score
If JB does end up winning, trump will make a case that hey, i won the election but they stole it from me. this what maga crowd is waiting for perhaps. instigate situation even further. trump senses trouble and it is still possible for him to lose. so he's preparing, otherwise why declare victory when counting has not been completed? no respect for law, democracy, women .. list goes on.

lizkat

Reaction score
If JB does end up winning, trump will make a case that hey, i won the election but they stole it from me. this what maga crowd is waiting for perhaps. instigate situation even further. trump senses trouble and it is still possible for him to lose. so he's preparing, otherwise why declare victory when counting has not been completed? no respect for law, democracy, women .. list goes on.

OK but try to think of it as the finale of a too long reality show series. At the end of a series one can get impatient over brand new loose ends dangled (is this really the end or room for a sequel season, e.g. The Sopranos) but with a lot of series it's like yeah ok maybe this even ran one or two seasons too long ya think?

Anyway there's realization that ok well that's over, so what to fill in with on TV on Tuesday nights now?? Life does go on, still have to do the laundry and mow the lawn or plow the driveway, no matter if ticked off there are no more seasons of whatever-it-was.

Honestly the only people really freaked out over the end of the Trump era should be Trump and the family members whose dynastic hopes just went up in flames. But never mind, they'll have more time now to focus on the legal problems related to their lack of business ethics.

I don't care what case Trump tries to make when the AP calls it for Biden. We'll have a new president in January. It will be time to look forward to a prez who understands he'll be president of all Americans, not just the ones who voted for him. He'll be sworn to uphold our rule of law just as Trump was, but Trump never saw a rule he figured applied to him if it proved inconvenient. I would expect a Biden administration to execute our laws thoughtfully and that would include how they deal with rowdy Trump-era lawbreakers from either side of any presumed political fences.

Just because people are noisy doesn't mean they are a majority... and there are plenty of people who didn't vote for Biden who do respect the rule of law. Let's not forget that some Trump voters went for him on expectation of more of what they did get from GOP-guided legislation affecting pocketbooks, and not as cult-like worshippers of Trump as a personality.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah I'm gonna roll with someone who (anonymously, of course) has said that Trump will be Trump verbally and on Twitter regarding outcomes not in his favor.... but that in the end he will do what is expected on Inauguration Day if he loses, i.e. while Biden is riding to the White House after the inauguration ceremonies, Trump will get in a helicopter no longer named Marine One and fly to Andrews and get on a plane no longer named Air Force One and fly away to Florida to await whatever his new life as a private citizen may bring.

I believe Trump is entirely capable of doing that even while telling himself and his followers stuff like "this is not the end and believe me you'll see". Reality has always been a sometime thing for Trump. Pragmatism in the interests of getting to the end of a day in one piece is one thing --and he has had to walk that road many times before and during his Presidency-- but what he tells himself and others in order to maintain his fictional omnipotence can be quite something else. Nonetheless, reality is still reality.

However... that's for Inauguration Day. What this creature does between Nov 4 and January 20 may require intervention by denizens of this administration who still understand rule of law, even if they may be disappointed in assorted election outcomes. I'd like to think that perhaps some of them will drop their anonymity, having meanwhile arranged for a new landing spot in case Trump decides to fire them on the spot. It could get interesting, but I think it would be in a good way because more of it will become public in or near real time. I mean who really thinks all these guys still in the administration actually respect and admire Trump and how he has treated them while he and they have wrestled and tried to find ways to not quite break the law over his autocratic leanings?

A few nights ago I had a dream that I don't think was lucid in the sense of my having been able to control it. Anyway I dreamed that McConnell led a lame duck session Senate trial of a new impeachment by the (current) 116th House of Representatives, having discovered that he'd kept his seat but that in the 117th Senate he'd be a minority leader. I did wake up laughing.

...with Federal Officers waiting there ready to hand Trump inditements and take him into custody... my fantasy. :love:

lizkat

Reaction score
I'm gonna tack into this thread some punditry on what the Republicans expect to pursue as an agenda between now and when electors cast their votes in the electoral college, presumably (?) as usual in December... and what role the courts might play in cases heard in the interim.

There was a thoughtful piece in the NYT about some of that, and I have put up a few quotes below.

The court having led [Pennsylvania] voters to believe they could mail back their ballots in confidence if they were received up to three days after the election, it would be stunning for the justices to turn around now and declare, in essence: “We misled you. Those votes are not valid.” The court might, for instance, decide that the state court acted beyond its authority, but still conclude that the ruling applies prospectively, not retroactively to invalidate ballots already cast.

It is hard to know the true motivation behind these new lawsuits. They could be all sound and fury, an effort to appease the president and his troops, demonstrating that the campaign is fighting to the last dawn. On the other hand, they may be less about their individual claims, or about winning in court, and more the start of a plan to attempt to sow confusion, to generate a sense of chaos, to undermine the perceived integrity of the vote — even to set up later tactics.

The bold right there is mine. It's a concern but it's not clear to me that it can be effective, not least because Americans are already confused --and is Trump himself not confused by seeming to fight in one state for more votes to be found somehow and in others for counting of perfectly validated ballots to be set aside despite the state's longstanding ways of treating mailed votes last?

And,,, Americans in 2020 may already have certain doubts about integrity of the vote if not of any outcome, even undeservedly so. There are thousands of self-described Republicans online who persist in accusing Dems to this day of a mass rejection of Trump's 2016 election --neven if we wished his presidency well in 2017 although not having voted for him.

We've lived before through a bunch of hotly contested fights over disputed elections and in the end we all have things to get done that end up reclaiming our attention. The same will prevail in 2020. It's kinda like what women say about childbirth, really. You can remember that it was painful, but thanks god not quite the pain itself else no way in hell would any of us have ended up with brothers and sisters.

So it's much the same with protracted wrangling over narrow elections: they're extremely painful and thank God we don't remember exactly how painful as we set off for another adventure in figuring out who gets to make a cartoonist's day every day for the next four years. By time we must go again to the polling place we remember elections as a pain in the ass and we'll all be sure of winning. And really, we all do win so long as we remember that voting is how we elevate someone to those elective offices.

And so to the wrap of that Times piece:

My guess is that courts will make quick work of these new cases. At the time of the 2000 election, only half of registered voters believed it “really mattered” which candidate won the election. Today, 83 percent have that conviction. Few judges are going to believe it is good for the country or the courts for this election to be decided by anyone other than the voters.

The author of the piece, Richard H. Pildes, is a professor at New York University’s law school and an author of the casebook “The Law of Democracy: Legal Structure of the Political Process.”

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Once Trump is out the Republican party needs to decisively and fatally sever all ties to Trump and before they start with the "but all the votes he got!!" they need to step the fuck back and realize there are still many voters who just vote party line and those who vote to stop the communist takeover that they've been told by their politicians and news media is literally everybody on the left. That battle can still be waged without Trump.

Ironically if they decide he is a parasite and enemy of the country along with the Democrats then they might once again start working together and getting things done to avoid any return to Trumpism. Let him start his own party. It will be hilariously inept and get tremendous ratings, but not the kind that will allow them to overthrow the country.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was playing some World of Warships with friends of my 40 year old son, members of his gaming clan, 2 of them one 40ish, one 50-60 ish white guys and when politics come up, I usually have to ignore it, but Ukraine has been in the news, and in response to a comment, I sarcastically said “yeah Putin needs to save the Ukrainians from the Nazis”. the older one said something like “Putin was smart to use Nazis as a reason,” and I replied “There are no Nazis in Ukraine, Putin is an idiot to use this as his excuse.”

The response: “yea well Biden is helping him”. 😳

That ended the conversation, and it almost ended my participation in that gaming session, but it left such a bad taste in my mouth, I lasted a few more matches then told them I was done for the evening. I just can’t play with STUPID and their idiotic statements, at least I can’t talk to them about politics. The only reason I am there at all is to game with my son, they are his friends and we use their Teamspeak server.

There used to be this 95 year old geezer at the pool who otherwise was a seemingly nice guy used to try to talk to me about his Democrats/Biden are the Devil BS, and I had to tell him, I don’t talk politics at the pool…

Top Bottom
1 2