COVID 19 The Vaccine Thread

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
took the wife on the tandem for a ride then her last shot ended up with 30 miles and one shot and one sore arm.

D

Deleted member 199

The rollout here is a corrupt joke. The only planned mass vaccinations are using locally produced AZ from a company owned by a certain family that has really fancy hats. Health workers have so far been given a Chinese vaccine. There’s also talk of the Russian one.

Thankfully private hospitals are taking details for those interested in other options. We’re on the list with our local private hospital, they’re apparently going to get Moderna, at somewhere around $100/person.

U

User.45

The rollout here is a corrupt joke. The only planned mass vaccinations are using locally produced AZ from a company owned by a certain family that has really fancy hats. Health workers have so far been given a Chinese vaccine. There’s also talk of the Russian one.

Thankfully private hospitals are taking details for those interested in other options. We’re on the list with our local private hospital, they’re apparently going to get Moderna, at somewhere around $100/person.
Last time I checked SinoPharm's (probably the Chinese vaccine they use over there) phase 3 data was not published. Which is highly problematic when you want to assess efficacy. The Russian one's phase 3 data was published in Lancet and it's OK. Healthcare workers should get the best vaccine available as their risk of exposure is the highest (common sense). I dislike the Sinopharm idea but it's still better than nothing.

D

Deleted member 199

Last time I checked SinoPharm's (probably the Chinese vaccine they use over there) phase 3 data was not published. Which is highly problematic when you want to assess efficacy. The Russian one's phase 3 data was published in Lancet and it's OK. Healthcare workers should get the best vaccine available as their risk of exposure is the highest (common sense). I dislike the Sinopharm idea but it's still better than nothing.
There's quite a lot of hubbub about it here.
In January a survey had 83% of the population willing to get vaccinated.
This month, it's 63%, because people don't trust the vaccine(s) offered (Sinovac for now, locally-produced AZ "next month"), and aren't happy with how the government is rolling it out (slowly)

There was another recent poll about how much people know about the vaccines, which they trust/prefer etc. Pfizer and Moderna were by far the highest in trust, and - no fucking surprise - Sinovac wasn't even on the survey, because why ask people if they feel safe with the only vaccine the government actually has right now. That might have an embarrassing outcome.

D

Deleted member 199

As mentioned in another thread - our local private hospital has started accepting pre-payments for Moderna, with a tentative plan to start jabbing people in October.

Took me longer to find this meme than it did for us to agree and make the actual payment.
1625135733409.png

D

Deleted member 199

As mentioned in another thread - our local private hospital has started accepting pre-payments for Moderna, with a tentative plan to start jabbing people in October.

Took me longer to find this meme than it did for us to agree and make the actual payment.
View attachment 6444
Got confirmation yesterday afternoon of payment received. Also weirdly the price has dropped (not by much, a little over $3 per person for two doses about 2.9%) and they’re going to organise refunds for the difference. Best guess is they had a better than expected response and will be able to get a better price for a larger volume, but it’s quite surprising they’re passing on that saving if so. I guess there may be government rules about it.

D

Deleted member 199

Here in Canada, second-dose rates are lagging behind the U.S., but I am ecstatic to say mRNA vaccine part 2 is, as of today, inside my meat bag.
Did you have mRNA for both?
I’ve seen a bunch of places that used the traditional vaccines a lot and are getting people to switch to mRNA for the second or even a third shot.

just read today that in a country of ~70m people after 5 days of the above private option being offered, they have confirmations for 9m+ doses and some hospitals had to stop accepting payments because they’d hit their reserved allocation.

I’m sure some of it is due to the delays with the free option (az for elderly/preexistimg conditions; sino-pharm|vac for the rest initially) but the effectiveness has to be a factor for some.

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score
Did you have mRNA for both?
I’ve seen a bunch of places that used the traditional vaccines a lot and are getting people to switch to mRNA for the second or even a third shot.

mRNA for both, yes.

By the time Health Canada learnt of some isolated reactions to the AZ vaccine (mid/late April), my age group had not yet been called for vaccinations. In addition, the AZ vaccines have been available via private pharmacies, not public health units. I went to public health inoculation clinics for both rounds, where the two mRNA vaccines are administered.

Last edited:
U

User.45

Here in Canada, second-dose rates are lagging behind the U.S., but I am ecstatic to say mRNA vaccine part 2 is, as of today, inside my meat bag.
I think Canada followed the UK on this. The single-dose efficacy of mRNA vaccines was about 80% and the second (i.e. booster) dose may even be timed better with more delayed administration. The issue is that clinical trials did 2-4 weeks for the second dose, ergo if you want to follow the evidence to the dot, you'll have to reproduce the trials' schedule. I think Canada's approach was generally better, as if you go with math, getting 80% of your population 80% protected is gonna be better than having 40% of your population 95% protected. Variants may alter that math tho.

B S Magnet

Site Champ
Reaction score
I think Canada followed the UK on this. The single-dose efficacy of mRNA vaccines was about 80% and the second (i.e. booster) dose may even be timed better with more delayed administration. The issue is that clinical trials did 2-4 weeks for the second dose, ergo if you want to follow the evidence to the dot, you'll have to reproduce the trials' schedule. I think Canada's approach was generally better, as if you go with math, getting 80% of your population 80% protected is gonna be better than having 40% of your population 95% protected. Variants may alter that math tho.

Originally, second-round doses (regardless of vaccine) were to have a four-month interval, but the post-April spread of the delta variant in several of the major cities prompted provincial health ministers to accelerate that timeline to 28–30 days. My first dose was seven weeks ago.

U

User.45

Originally, second-round doses (regardless of vaccine) were to have a four-month interval, but the post-April spread of the delta variant in several of the major cities prompted provincial health ministers to accelerate that timeline to 28–30 days. My first dose was seven weeks ago.
How are the vaccine supplies there? Is the antivaxxer presence over there comparable to that of the USA? Also, do Canadian antivaxxers have similar right wing beliefs to the American ones?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 199

Just saw this: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2143811/leaked-memo-leads-to-calls-for-mrna-vaccine

I guess at least it's refreshing to know that they are at least aware that not all vaccines are equally effective (someone in the govt had made a statement essentially telling people it doesn't matter which vaccine they get, "you will all be saved") - but absolutely zero surprise they're more concerned with the general population realising what they're offering/using is about as useful as a turd in an elevator, than they are with actually protecting the medical community, who have a much higher risk.

In 9 years here, I don't think I've heard/read about the general population being so widely/consistently angry/dissatisfied with the government in power.... and the first 2 years of that was the lead-up to the 2014 Coup (i.e. weeks-long street riots that shut down entire sections of BKK) , and the following 5 years were under a Military Junta.

D

Deleted member 199

And in yet more bizarre news..

The Thai govt has allowed Phuket to open to fully vaccinated foreign tourists, without the need to quarantine on arrival.

They had a big "thing" there to welcome the first tourists, and the Thai PM - who is 'fully vaccinated' with AZ - went to it. While there he was in close proximity to someone who later tested positive...

So now the fully vaccinated PM is self-quarantining at home because he may have been infected at an event welcoming fully vaccinated tourists who the govt say don't need to quarantine.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
And in yet more bizarre news..

The Thai govt has allowed Phuket to open to fully vaccinated foreign tourists, without the need to quarantine on arrival.

They had a big "thing" there to welcome the first tourists, and the Thai PM - who is 'fully vaccinated' with AZ - went to it. While there he was in close proximity to someone who later tested positive...

So now the fully vaccinated PM is self-quarantining at home because he may have been infected at an event welcoming fully vaccinated tourists who the govt say don't need to quarantine.
At least the PM is doing a responsible thing by self-quarantining. The rest of the story? LOL. Sad.

Top Bottom
1 2