Third Party Votes

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
What is with the people who are determined to show how impartial they are by refusing to choose “the lesser of two evils.” It’s beginning to remind me of a child who won’t eat the mac ‘n cheese OR the chicken nuggets...so he has water for dinner.

WTF?! If you go 3rd party, you are throwing away your vote at best. At worst, you’re helping keep Trump in office. Or if you lean the other way - at worst you’re helping elect Biden.

Wouldn’t it make sense to man up and make a choice?

/rant

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I'm with you on that, and we've all heard the arguments for and against third party votes ad nauseam.

But I do have to say, the only way I would vote for a third party candidate would be if all three of them would be good choices. And what is the likelihood of that?

I like it when I feel I'm actually voting for somebody. But as long as there is one person running that I most fear seeing in office, I'll be voting for the other to beat them, whether they are my ideal candidate or not.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
What is with the people who are determined to show how impartial they are by refusing to choose “the lesser of two evils.” It’s beginning to remind me of a child who won’t eat the mac ‘n cheese OR the chicken nuggets...so he has water for dinner.

WTF?! If you go 3rd party, you are throwing away your vote at best. At worst, you’re helping keep Trump in office. Or if you lean the other way - at worst you’re helping elect Biden.

/rant
Exactly, I'm hoping it's enough of a blowout that there will be no questions but if it's close a third party candidate, who will likely never win, can siphon enough votes to swing it. Anyone who remembers Nader during the Bush v Gore race knows exactly how this can play out. Makes me wonder what sort of deal they worked out with Kanye.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Exactly, I'm hoping it's enough of a blowout that there will be no questions but if it's close a third party candidate, who will likely never win, can siphon enough votes to swing it. Anyone who remembers Nader during the Bush v Gore race knows exactly how this can play out. Makes me wonder what sort of deal they worked out with Kanye.

I’ve given up even attempting to figure out what the deal is with Kanye. As far as I can tell, nobody with a brain is going to vote for him no matter what. It’s just showmanship cooked up between two baby men with big egos.

I’m betting Trump contests it regardless. If it’s a small win, he’ll complain about voter fraud/mail-in ballots. If it’s a blow-out he’ll start in with election tampering. He is the dictionary definition for sore loser.

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
well, why are we here? HOW did we get to Clinton VS Trump? or trump VS the police state of Biden/Harris?
117320154_1209994499369339_1439871881646892402_o.jpg

THE major crap houses understand that YOU will vote for them no matter WHO THEY put at the front of the ticket,( and I say they because it's obvious the people don't seem to make a difference) . shit I was willing to take a chance with Bernie until he IMHO sold out.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
THE major crap houses understand that YOU will vote for them no matter WHO THEY put at the front of the ticket,( and I say they because it's obvious the people don't seem to make a difference) . shit I was willing to take a chance with Bernie until he IMHO sold out.

He may have sold out (whatever that means), but he and Joe are working together so that's something. I like many of Bernie's ideas. I just think he is a little over the top. So if they can meet in the middle it could amount to some great things.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score

/rant

I think that the issue generates from the puzzling incapacity of the average American voter to understand the importance of Congress. Political nerds like us know it very well, but if you talk to politically detached individuals (probably 70% of the population) you'll see that 1) they believe the POTUS has more powers than he actually has 2) they barely know what Congress does, let alone how Congress works.
Not knowing well the legislative branch is in my opinion as sinful as not knowing the name of the President.
Why am I saying this on a 3rd party vote thread? Because I think that the reduced focus on Congress makes all those "no-party" thinkers (a legit position) into something that it isn't, that is a "search for the Presidency". A third party is in my opinion fundamental in Congress, a place in which one or two senators, and a bunch of House Representatives can and will make a serious difference. A third party (not independents, or independents caucusing with the major parties; I am talking about a true third party) in Congress could finally move Congress into thinking more about actual legislation which is somehow detached from the Presidency, and it could move Congress from this eternal, boring, two-side war. It would force the two major parties to truly seek compromise. "Third party" voters (and I think most Americans) should demand a "strong" third party in Congress (by Strong I mean a group that is big enough to make some difference in some legislation), focusing less on the POTUS.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
While usually, I prefer to register a vote for someone or, for their platform, to my mind, it is a perfectly reasonable proposition to use your vote to vote against the candidate/party/platform you dislike more.

That is still a valid (and entirely reasonable) political action and is a deliberate (and usually an informed) political choice.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
While usually, I prefer to register a vote for someone or, for their platform, to my mind, it is a perfectly reasonable proposition to use your vote to vote against the candidate/party/platform you dislike more.

That is still a valid (and entirely reasonable) political action and is a deliberate (and usually an informed) political choice.

I agree, especially considering the very limited amount of choices in the US when it comes to the Presidency. (No, I am not voting Kanye ! )

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the issue is a lot of people feel the country is spiraling down the toilet and it doesn’t really matter who is steering the boat to the bottom because those with the power aren’t going to do anything to help the majority of the population until average citizens start throwing the rich and powerful into volcanos. Even if you are a conservative and feel the rich are unjustly getting blamed, it doesn’t matter. Threatening the ruling class is the only way they’ll pay attention and change policy out of fear.

You also need to consider that for the vast majority of states the average voter doesn't matter. Red no matter what, or blue no matter what. Although, in this upcoming election I could see some states possibly flip.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
well, why are we here? HOW did we get to Clinton VS Trump? or trump VS the police state of Biden/Harris?
117320154_1209994499369339_1439871881646892402_o.jpg

No one will remember your candidate by March. If Trump is still here and California went Trump, then I’ll blame you!!!! ☠ ;)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the issue is a lot of people feel the country is spiraling down the toilet and it doesn’t really matter who is steering the boat to the bottom because those with the power aren’t going to do anything to help the majority of the population until average citizens start throwing the rich and powerful into volcanos. Even if you are a conservative and feel the rich are unjustly getting blamed, it doesn’t matter. Threatening the ruling class is the only way they’ll pay attention and change policy out of fear.

You also need to consider that for the vast majority of states the average voter doesn't matter. Red no matter what, or blue no matter what. Although, in this upcoming election I could see some states possibly flip.
So it’s not red no matter what. Some people can wise up. There are several newish purple states.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m biased preferring blue to red because liberal ideology serves all of the citizens, better than I’ve got mine conservatism.

And it wasn’t always like that. It seems to be the parties have done some flip flopping.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
And it wasn’t always like that. It seems to be the parties have done some flip flopping.
Republicans actually used to care about social issues. UHC came from a Republican think tank and was instituted in Mass by Romney. Their party has been hijacked from the grass roots up and Greedy bastard billionaires and is on its merry way to Hell. :cry:

Top Bottom
1 2