Timeshare Encounter Vol.3

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
FD3D2C35-13F3-4FFF-9ECF-F13BDBDE3171.jpeg

Would love to hear any timeshare stories. :)

This Hawaii trip we are on is a 6 Day 5 night stay at the Hilton Waikoloa Resort. $2400 airfare out of my pocket, and 20 hrs to get here. . I reserved it in 2019 when it was offered as a timeshare deal, listen to a 2 hr presentation and get the stay normally $900 per night for $900 total and includes a car rental. Since I had turned down the last presentation 7 years ago in Honolulu, I thought my wife and I were in the same page about timeshares, but then she joined in with the sales person. :oops:

Why are we on this vacation in 2022? COVID.

What they were offering was a 1 Bedroom package, with 7800 pts, every other year for about $22k up front, $1425 every other year maintenance fees, 20000 extra pts, and some other fees and a large RCI network of places included in the package, around the world. Plus I got a deed.

Of course I had concerns, among them was what happens if you have a life changing event and need to sell it. We are inundated back home with adds from people who offer to help you for a free, dump your time share because I’ll assume it is difficult to do.

The saleslady assured me that Hilton would buy it back, but no price was guaranteed. I still said no, because all these points seem like a good deal, except they expire, and burning them means going on more vacations than we want too per year, I’m not thrilled enough with the Big Island to have this as a home base, and everything in this resort is 2-4x as expensive than in the real world. ;) Here is another issue, we are getting older, we are not going to burn it up going on vacation at Hilton properties, and I don’t want to feel like I’m now obligated to go on vacation as a result of a financial obligation. Plus I like to seek out deals.

Yet despite this, I finally said ok because I was going to talk to legal during the sign up. During this portion, I asked about buy backs, and the only comment in the contract was that Hilton, has first right of refusal, nothing about we will buy back your timeshare. and one thing the saleslady said was that in Florida there were issues selling timeshares, but Hawaii was magic, even though the resort sits out on a lava plain, and there was an orange volcano alert today. At this point I dug my feet in, said no, and my wife would not talk to me for an hour. :)

Anyway, no regrets. I suggested we buy a piece of jewelry tomorrow for her and I’ll still come out ahead of the $2700 down payment. :D

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
All I know about timeshares is that I had one to deal with after the death of my youngest brother. Turned out the deed was in both his name and the name of his ex and they'd forgotten to deal with it during their settlement, so later on when they remembered it, he had just kept paying the maintenance and they'd been splitting their assigned time to use the place. I finally just paid the maintenance forward for a year out of pocket and signed the deed over to her after talking with my other sibs and the estate's lawyer. There were some good reasons to be generous with that ex-SIL of ours, so no one objected.

Anyway the ex was fully aware of how hard it can be to sell timeshares, but she seemed happy about the paid-up maintenance in the short term, so she accepted the remade deed, and I was glad to be able to scratch it off the list of stuff to deal with. No clue if she kept it or managed to foist it off on someone else before having to shell out maintenance on her own. PS don't ever accept the job of estate executor if you can avoid it. What a PITA.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
All I know about timeshares is that I had one to deal with after the death of my youngest brother. Turned out the deed was in both his name and the name of his ex and they'd forgotten to deal with it during their settlement, so later on when they remembered it, he had just kept paying the maintenance and they'd been splitting their assigned time to use the place. I finally just paid the maintenance forward for a year out of pocket and signed the deed over to her after talking with my other sibs and the estate's lawyer. There were some good reasons to be generous with that ex-SIL of ours, so no one objected.

Anyway the ex was fully aware of how hard it can be to sell timeshares, but she seemed happy about the paid-up maintenance in the short term, so she accepted the remade deed, and I was glad to be able to scratch it off the list of stuff to deal with. No clue if she kept it or managed to foist it off on someone else before having to shell out maintenance on her own. PS don't ever accept the job of estate executor if you can avoid it. What a PITA.
My brother is our executor… he’s glad to help for now in case something happens to both of us. But I could see how that could be, easily. :unsure:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
My brother is our executor… he’s glad to help for now in case something happens to both of us. But I could see how that could be, easily. :unsure:

Hah, so he'd likely be on your side regarding your decision not to buy the timeshare. There's not much worse than having to handle illiquid real estate when one is stuck settling an estate.

What's fun about time shares is when you know people who have them and who lead such frenetic lives that they space out and realize omg it's my turn to use the place in New Orleans and they call you up and beg you to take some vacation days and enjoy the place free of charge. I mean they look at it the same as if it was their turn to have you over to dinner or something. Could have used a few more friends like that once I got around to actually taking some vacation.

And yeah, I eventually started wondering if any of my spaced-out workaholic friends or colleagues had Hawaiian timeshares. I wouldn't want to buy one, but to hang out in one for a week would be very fine... hope you and your wife will enjoy the rest of your time out there.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
@Huntn
No personal story to share about time share, but some of my extended family had/have(?) a few, but it really always seemed to be more bother than it was worth. As @lizkat described, you were often offered a free holiday because, well, they couldn't make it…mostly in places I'd not want to go.

But as an aside, it has zero appeal to me. The idea of buying in to my future holidays forever and ever… Most "resort holidays" give me the dry heaves.

Love the lava plain! 🤣
Perhaps it could be marketed as an Adventure Holiday?

Edit: Found this on a UK reseller site…
It is no secret that upwards of 50% of the resort developer costs are sales and marketing. When you purchase directly from the resort, you pay an extortionate price to absorb all of that.

When buying timeshare rentals on the resale market, you only pay the true and fair market value of the property. Not only do you benefit from the use of the property, but you also enjoy savings of 30-50% or more.
Maybe have a look on those if you are keen on the idea of timeshare. Hopefully another 2 hour presentation not included. I wonder what is their success rate. Surely most people are there just for the discounted holiday and sit through the sales pitch grinning and bearing it, their minds drifting to the free Piña Coladas and dessert buffet?

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
My time? Sales pitches? Points? Dealing with other "owners"?

Let me put this as delicately as I can ...

FUCK NO :D

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Huntn
No personal story to share about time share, but some of my extended family had/have(?) a few, but it really always seemed to be more bother than it was worth. As @lizkat described, you were often offered a free holiday because, well, they couldn't make it…mostly in places I'd not want to go.

But as an aside, it has zero appeal to me. The idea of buying in to my future holidays forever and ever… Most "resort holidays" give me the dry heaves.

Love the lava plain! 🤣

Maybe have a look on those if you are keen on the idea of timeshare. Hopefully another 2 hour presentation not included. I wonder what is their success rate. Surely most people are there just for the discounted holiday and sit through the sales pitch grinning and bearing it, their minds drifting to the free Piña Coladas and dessert buffet?
I’ve never been keen on timeshares since my first exposure to them, a big investment with a promise of savings or luxury vacationing, but it is a weight that influences your future decisions and what we typically do, does not fit in well, I like to seek bargains, not get a discount off a luxury rate. The only reason we had to endure the sales pitch was that the visit seemed worth the pain. We’ve had 3 outstanding days not counting the pressure of the no- pressure sales pitch they claim to give.

With a search on Hilton Grand Vacations you can find amble complaints. It’s been so long now, I remember something when I made the reservation about a presentation, but somehow it did not click that this was another timeshare presentations, because that word was not mentioned. It’s safe to say this should be my last timeshare adventure.

This comment is more resort related than timeshare… everything in this resort is very expensive, plus they gouge you for both daily parking, and a daily resort fee. No doubt this resort is very nice, but you get what you are paying for? It depends on your perspective. I’m not used to spending close to $100 a meal for two people.

Three decades ago we were going to Disney World Orlando, and the in resort room price was $600 a night which was expensive back then and we would have needed 2 rooms. Instead we stayed at an off Disney World, Holiday Inn resort and paid $250 a night for a suite that handled the group, a no brainer. Yes, we did have to drive a car 5 miles and park and get on a tram to get inside the park. And now, they have less expensive accommodations inside the park.

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Huntn

Love the lava plain! 🤣

I’ve never been keen on timeshares since my first exposure to them, a big investment with a promise of savings or luxury vacationing, but it is a weight that influences your future decisions and what we typically do, does not fit in well, I like to seek bargains, not get a discount off a luxury rate. The only reason we had to endure the sales pitch was that the visit seemed worth the pain. We’ve had 3 outstanding days not counting the pressure of the no- pressure sales pitch they claim to give.

With a search on Hilton Grand Vacations you can find amble complaints. It’s been so long now, I remember something when I made the reservation about a presentation, but somehow it did not click that this was another timeshare presentations, because that word was not mentioned. It’s safe to say this should be my last timeshare adventure. :)

This comment is more resort related than timeshare… everything in this resort is very expensive, plus they gouge you for both daily parking, and a daily resort fee. No doubt this resort is very nice, but you get what you are paying for? It depends on your perspective. I’m not used to spending close to $100 a meal for two people.

Three decades ago we were going to Disney World Orlando, and the in resort room price was $600 a night which was expensive back then and we would have needed 2 rooms. Instead we stayed at an off Disney World, Holiday Inn resort and paid $250 a night for a suite that handled the group, a no brainer. Yes, we did have to drive a car 5 miles and park and get on a tram to get inside the park. And now, they have less expensive accommodations inside the park.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
I can imagine the hard sell from the sales reps must be tiring. Buying your wife jewellery is a much better option. 😄

With a search on Hilton Grand Vacations you can find amble complaints. It’s been so long now, I remember something when I made the reservation about a presentation, but somehow it did not click that this was another timeshare presentations, because that word was not mentioned. It’s safe to say this should be my last timeshare adventure. :)
Sounds like a wise decision.
Wow!
USD900/night and they gouge you for daily parking plus a daily resort fee? Yikes! You'd think they'd throw that in to the overall package…

One of the reasons we've have never been one of the Red Sea holidays spots is that they are over run with huge resorts. Once you're inside the enclosure you need never leave. You may as well be on one of the Spanish Costas.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

When we travel/resort/etc., that's our thing, it's our "we don't care about price" (you know, up to a point ...), when we go down to Universal, we always store at an onsite resort, and almost always at a Premier tier, since that includes an Express Pass. I guess when we go out, even around here, we almost always spend $75-100, so that kind of price as a beautiful resort in Hawaii seems reasonable.

When we do a vacation, stay at a resort, that's our thing, I don't want to have to decide on food based on price, I'd just as soon not go. Plus, the extra cost sometimes includes such killer perks (see below).

Don't get me wrong, I realize there are people that need to be more frugal with a trip, especially with multiple rooms, no resident discount, etc., but the part in bold specifically, that, for us, is well worth the extra cost. For us, it's not even close, I'd just as soon not go, we __love__ being able to park on day one, and for the next few days, not having to drive again, not have to park again, be able to walk to the park in ~10 minutes, and if you decide you want a break, or need to fetch something you forget, or change your clothes (whatever), it's a 20 minute process that doesn't require driving, parking, driving, parking again. Plus early entry, super nice cafes all around, you can bail on a park and be at the pool in 20 minutes - the experience is just orders-of-magnitude better.

Plus, when we resort, we like to eat and drink up, I don't want to have to manage my adult beverage consumption around operating a vehicle. We've even stayed at the club level a few times at Hard Rock, it's another $xxx a night but you have your own cafe, that's open all the time, with a rotating menu, you want some chicken wings at 11p after you get back? Pop in, and load up! Grab a bunch of free sodas, head back to the room and make some drinks :D

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
One thing I’ll point out the image in post 1 is not the time share, that is the Hilton Waikoloa resort. The time share is 2 miles inland a building with a small pool. However, there maybe plans to convert the building we are in (Ocean Tower) to timeshares, but this is unverified, and may have been mentioned as a convincer.

We checkout at noon (local) and don’t get home until tomorrow afternoon.

When we travel/resort/etc., that's our thing, it's our "we don't care about price" (you know, up to a point ...), when we go down to Universal, we always store at an onsite resort, and almost always at a Premier tier, since that includes an Express Pass. I guess when we go out, even around here, we almost always spend $75-100, so that kind of price as a beautiful resort in Hawaii seems reasonable.

When we do a vacation, stay at a resort, that's our thing, I don't want to have to decide on food based on price, I'd just as soon not go. Plus, the extra cost sometimes includes such killer perks (see below).

Don't get me wrong, I realize there are people that need to be more frugal with a trip, especially with multiple rooms, no resident discount, etc., but the part in bold specifically, that, for us, is well worth the extra cost. For us, it's not even close, I'd just as soon not go, we __love__ being able to park on day one, and for the next few days, not having to drive again, not have to park again, be able to walk to the park in ~10 minutes, and if you decide you want a break, or need to fetch something you forget, or change your clothes (whatever), it's a 20 minute process that doesn't require driving, parking, driving, parking again. Plus early entry, super nice cafes all around, you can bail on a park and be at the pool in 20 minutes - the experience is just orders-of-magnitude better.

Plus, when we resort, we like to eat and drink up, I don't want to have to manage my adult beverage consumption around operating a vehicle. We've even stayed at the club level a few times at Hard Rock, it's another $xxx a night but you have your own cafe, that's open all the time, with a rotating menu, you want some chicken wings at 11p after you get back? Pop in, and load up! Grab a bunch of free sodas, head back to the room and make some drinks :D
I have no problem with your perspective. I can afford it, yet I have a value system (I can’t help it :)) that continuously compares value to price. I’ve easily spent $10k twice on 2 week all inclusive cruises, because they, in my opinion were excellent values. We’ve been eating in the resort and I look at my meal and ask myself is this worth 3x because it’s the best food I’ve ever eaten? The answer is hell no, a $24 sandwich with bland, rubbery chicken in a beautiful setting, just irritates me. It’s like when I opened the bag, a hand came out and slapped me. :D

One mitigator I will acknowledge is that this is Hawaii where everything resort or not is expensive, that said we found 2 meals at McDonalds in Kona for $16, the best food value in town. ;) :)

Last edited:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
One thing I’ll point out the image in post 1 is not the time share, that is the Hilton Waikoloa resort. The time share is 2 miles inland a building with a small pool. However, there maybe plans to convert the building we are in (Ocean Tower) to timeshares, but this is unverified, and may have been mentioned as a convincer.

We checkout at noon (local) and don’t get home until tomorrow afternoon.

I have no problem with your perspective. I can afford it, yet I have a value system (I can’t help it :)) that continuously compares value to price. I’ve easily spent $10k twice on 2 week all inclusive cruises, because they, in my opinion were excellent values. We’ve been eating in the resort and I look at my meal and ask myself is this worth 3x because it’s the best food I’ve ever eaten? The answer is hell no, a $24 sandwich with bland, rubbery chicken in a beautiful setting, just irritates me. It’s like when I opened the bag, a hand came out and slapped me. :D

One mitigator I will acknowledge is that this is Hawaii where everything resort or not is expensive, that said we found 2 meals at McDonalds in Kona for $16, the best food value in town. ;) :)
Interesting, I was in Maui for a week 4 years ago. We rented a two bedroom house on the water so...expensive. But, what surprised me is the restaurants we went to (with one notable exception) were very close in price to restaurants in my area. Now I'm curious what the non-resort prices are on Kona.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting, I was in Maui for a week 4 years ago. We rented a two bedroom house on the water so...expensive. But, what surprised me is the restaurants we went to (with one notable exception) were very close in price to restaurants in my area. Now I'm curious what the non-resort prices are on Kona.
Well the resort is isolated, out on a lava coast 24 miles from town and restaurants. We’ve been eating on the resort almost exclusively besides some fast food when sight seeing. Our breakfast at Ken’s Pancake House in Hilo was about $40. For perspectivevat a local Denny’s back hone, the same breakfast is about $18. There is a market place on resort grounds and in the food court, a large soda pop is $4.75. A fast food style shrimp dinner with 6 shrimp, rice and some macaroni salad was $18 each, a relative bargain. They had a tasty garlic sauce but the shrimp was over cooked.

Flight does not leave till 9pm, heading to town, where the airport is in the late afternoon to try to find some Mexican food. :)

Top Bottom
1 2