Transition blues... wondering what's happening w/ White House archives

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
One reason McConnell and others are continuing to let Trump tread water on the election outcome could be that it takes awhile to decide what to shred of this erratic, impulsive President's documented track record... despite various relevant laws and guidelines.

There are some guidelines: The National Archives defines presidential records as any documentary materials “created or received” by the president, their immediate staff, or anyone in the Executive Office of the President “whose function is to advise or assist the President” in the course of carrying out official duties. But it is not clear how much has been preserved given Trump’s habit of ripping up documents — the employees once tasked with taping them back together were summarily fired in 2018 — and the White House’s general paranoia about leaks.

File under "imagine the impertinence of even asking certain questions":

Asked about their compliance with records laws, a White House official said, “We preserve everything we have to preserve.” Pressed on whether anything had been deleted from the National Security Council’s code word classified system — where some transcripts of Trump’s calls with foreign leaders have been hidden — the official replied: “I’m not going to talk about any of that. But we comply with everything. Like, we’re really actually not criminals.”

lizkat

Reaction score
They got bulldozers all over the North Lawn of the WH this morning taking off the grass. Maybe they're just redoing the turf, or fixing another of the several sinkholes have occurred there in the past decade or so.. or maybe trump's just gettin' ready to show us what "scorched earth policy" really means in the 21st century on his watch.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1325845891811569668/

Zoidberg

Site Champ
Reaction score
They got bulldozers all over the North Lawn of the WH this morning taking off the grass. Maybe they're just redoing the turf, or fixing another of the several sinkholes have occurred there in the past decade or so.. or maybe trump's just gettin' ready to show us what "scorched earth policy" really means in the 21st century on his watch.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1325845891811569668/
They are trying to find the Deep State. Must.... dig.... deeper.

lizkat

Reaction score
A new fence with posts that can take a joke? Improved drainage?

WH North Lawn excavations 2020 November 9.jpg

lizkat

Reaction score
Leaving the mysteries of groundskeeping to others for awhile, let us return to original topic of the thread, namely status of Trump administration's adherence to recordkeeping requirements,

In the wake of the firing by Trump of the Secretary of Defense, other changes related to national security have also been made, ensuring that Trump-loyal personnel are at least eyes and ears during the transition.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1326314398261112833/

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I believe there are Americans working in our government that will do whatever it takes to preserve documents that need to be legally preserved.... including ignoring the orders of this lame duck president.

1605055372972.jpeg

lizkat

Reaction score
I believe there are Americans working in our government that will do whatever it takes to preserve documents that need to be legally preserved.... including ignoring the orders of this lame duck president.

I think so too and hope we're right.. actually less concerned about a coup than a bunch of coverups.

lizkat

Reaction score
More details on Trump replacements at the Pentagon... this guy Patel used to work for Devin Nunes and is said to have had influence in persuading Trump to go ahead and fire former Defense chief Espy. The various Devin Nunes Cow parody accounts over at Twitter will probably be having baby cows 2nite. I would be appalled if I had any appalled left in my brain this evening. Some of these Defense appointments Trump is making now will not be easy for Biden to fire, apparently, thanks to the level at which the employees work and the arcane rules of national security assignments.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1326252053954498561/

Top Bottom
1 2