Trump’s taxes

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a Trump supporter friend who probably not only doesn’t care about this but also probably applauds it, not so much as a praise of Trump being a smart businessman for using tax loopholes, but my friend seems to think the vast majority of our taxes go to welfare queens and illegals. As my friend is also self-employed and gets paid in cash a lot of times, I have no doubt that he probably lies about the amount of his income to the IRS, another real patriot.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I have a Trump supporter friend who probably not only doesn’t care about this but also probably applauds it, not so much as a praise of Trump being a smart businessman for using tax loopholes, but my friend seems to think the vast majority of our taxes go to welfare queens and illegals. As my friend is also self-employed and gets paid in cash a lot of times, I have no doubt that he probably lies about the amount of his income to the IRS, another real patriot.

The vast majority of Trump's fanbase is filled with people who know nothing, yet think they know everything.

Trump isn't their leader so much as their avatar.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I doubt from Putin's perspective that would be acceptable. At that point Trump would go from a useful idiot to just an idiot.

Not quite.

Russia has offered (and provided) sanctuary to a surprising number of people (for whom the political water has become too hot) over the years.

While I won't quite go so far as to argue that this is a case of "honour among thieves", I will say that this sort of offer tends to be honoured by the Russians.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Breaking...

Analysis: Don't miss the Ivanka Trump bombshell buried in the Times tax story

“Mr. Trump reduced his taxable income by treating a family member as a consultant, and then deducting the fee as a cost of doing business.

"The 'consultants' are not identified in the tax records. But evidence of this arrangement was gleaned by comparing the confidential tax records to the financial disclosures Ivanka Trump filed when she joined the White House staff in 2017. Ms. Trump reported receiving payments from a consulting company she co-owned, totaling $747,622, that exactly matched consulting fees claimed as tax deductions by the Trump Organization for hotel projects in Vancouver and Hawaii.

"Ms. Trump had been an executive officer of the Trump companies that received profits from and paid the consulting fees for both projects — meaning she appears to have been treated as a consultant on the same hotel deals that she helped manage as part of her job at her father's business."

So consider what we know, according to the Times reporting.

1) In at least two deals -- hotels in Hawaii and Vancouver, Ivanka Trump appears to have double-dipped -- serving as both a project manager in her official capacity as a senior staffer for her father's company and as a "consultant" to those same projects.

2) In those deals, Ivanka Trump's apparent categorization as a "consultant" allowed her father to write off three-quarters of a million dollars. (The IRS allows "consulting fees" to be written off as business expenses.)

Which is, well, pretty bad. (The Trump Organization's lawyer offered no comment or explanation for the setup to the Times.)

But it appears as though the Times may only have found the tip of the iceberg here.

Why? Because of the $26 million that Trump wrote off as "consulting fees" between 2010 and 2018, none is allocated to any specific person or entity. (The Times figured out the $747,622 payment by matching an amount paid in Trump's tax returns to the same sum reported by Ivanka Trump on her financial disclosure forms filed when she went to work in the White House in 2017.)

So we don't know who received the other $25-ish million that Trump wrote off to "consulting fees" during that time. (Worth noting: The Times reports that Trump wrote off roughly 20% of all income he made on projects over that time to "consulting fees.")

So...Ivanka was double dipping to the tune of three quarters of a million dollars...and there’s another $25 million where someone may have done the same thing.

Yeah, nothing fishy here.

No way this doesn’t look really bad for Trump...especially on the eve of a debate.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
besides the law, order, consistency, etc.

[ heh, Trump campaign: details, details... let's not get out in the weeds... ]

I wonder how far out in the weeds Chris Wallace will try to take these guys in the debate tomorrow. Trump will like to hammer on Biden and will definitely otherwise end up stream of consciousness like at his rallies or pressers, if initially attempting to focus on moderator's questions. Wallace will have his work cut out.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not quite.

Russia has offered (and provided) sanctuary to a surprising number of people (for whom the political water has become too hot) over the years.

While I won't quite go so far as to argue that this is a case of "honour among thieves", I will say that this sort of offer tends to be honoured by the Russians.

Yeah, but so far that hasn't been extended to a former US President, and just as importantly, globally viewed as one of the world's biggest morons that happened to become a US President. Frankly, Isreal should be taking this one for the team.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Yeah, but so far that hasn't been extended to a former US President, and just as importantly, globally viewed as one of the world's biggest morons that happened to become a US President. Frankly, Isreal should be taking this one for the team.

Russia has offered sanctuary to a surprising number of former presidents.

And, as for Mr Trump, he has broken so many norms, flouted so many traditions, and set so many new (appalling) standards for conduct, incapacity, corruption, tone......that nothing would surprise me any more.

As we have learned during the tenure of this administration, the fact that it hasn't happened prior to this with a US president, is no guarantee that it cannot, or will not, or might not, yet happen.

U

User.45

Not quite.

One of the reasons I despise the whole Soviet Union thing is I saw it fall apart as a kid. During the "privatization" process, the currency underwent extreme inflation overnight whereas sate-owned wealth rapidly migrated into the pockets of cronies close to power (usually former staunch communists [fuck them]) giving rise to many of today's oligarchs. Trump would fit in there ridiculously well.

U

User.45

[ heh, Trump campaign: details, details... let's not get out in the weeds... ]

I wonder how far out in the weeds Chris Wallace will try to take these guys in the debate tomorrow. Trump will like to hammer on Biden and will definitely otherwise end up stream of consciousness like at his rallies or pressers, if initially attempting to focus on moderator's questions. Wallace will have his work cut out.
it's gonna be interesting....

Top Bottom
1 2