Trump has a real chance of conceding the election

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I must confess that (with the exception of the garden centre debacle last week-end - which was both jaw-dropping in the surreal aptness of such a setting, and insanely, ironically, hysterically hilarious) I have never found Mr Trump - his antics, actions, character, behaviour, - remotely funny, but instead, I find him deeply disturbing, profoundly unsettling, and downright dangerous.
No, he’s a troglodyte’s version of Don Rickles. With Rickles you knew it was just an act, but with Trump, not even an iota of irony or warmth in his shtick. More like bull—with spongiform encephalopathy—in a china shop.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
No, he’s a troglodyte’s version of Don Rickles. With Rickles you knew it was just an act, but with Trump, not even an iota of irony or warmth in his shtick. More like bull—with spongiform encephalopathy—in a china shop.

That cultural reference goes straight over my head, I'm afraid, as I have never heard of Don Rickles.

But, no, I've never found Mr Trump remotely funny.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
With Mr Trump, irony is - if not dead - then somewhat comatose, or certainly, at the very least, sound asleep.

Both here - and The Other Place/Country - there is a thread with the title "Donald Trump Humour Thread".

I must confess that (with the exception of the garden centre debacle last week-end - which was both jaw-dropping in the surreal aptness of such a setting, and insanely, ironically, hysterically hilarious) I have never found Mr Trump - his antics, actions, character, behaviour, - remotely funny, but instead, I find him deeply disturbing, profoundly unsettling, and downright dangerous.
The biggest problem with his supporters is that they do not understand humor of any kind. They equate humor with name calling.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
With Mr Trump, irony is - if not dead - then somewhat comatose, or certainly, at the very least, sound asleep.

Both here - and The Other Place/Country - there is a thread with the title "Donald Trump Humour Thread".

I was just thinking this morning while making the coffee that I used to look forward to the morning's cartoons in the NYT and WaPo during the ever-ascending reach of the Watergate scandals. How it was just such a wonderful moment of comic relief to see Herblock deftly lay in a humorous aspect to this or that encounter of a Nixon lackey with the majesty of the constitution of United States of America. Will never forget his take on a government lawyer arguing in court for the possibility that 18 minutes of a key tape recording had somehow been erased "by accident"... the image was that of a ferocious bear shredding loops of tape with his claws... and from the bench, weary skepticism....

But this past week with the drawing out of Trump's pathetic attempts to keep his delusions of omnipotence intact, I suddenly have no interest in the opinions pages and so don't even think to look for the cartoons first. I'm just trying not to see the front page as I tack into the menu in search of the arts and entertainment or food sections, meaning to ease my way into "news I can use"...

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
That cultural reference goes straight over my head, I'm afraid, as I have never heard of Don Rickles.

But, no, I've never found Mr Trump remotely funny.
Rickles (who died a few years ago) was AFAIK the original insult comic.

He was most popular back when people still had a sense of humor. When you could still make movies like "Blazing Saddles" because you could say shocking things and people knew you weren't endorsing those things.

Don Rickles, by everybody who knew him, was the sweetest guy, a man who would be mortified if he ever thought someone took his act seriously. He said racist, sexist, ageist things--like, to a random Asian in the audience, "Hey, Kung Fu! When's my shirt gonna be ready?"--but people laughed because they knew he was putting them on, playing the part of a crude jackass. We weren't laughing with the insult...we were laughing at it, thinking Omigod, I can't believe he said that!

Which is totally the opposite of Trump, who ridicules people for their color, sex, age, political affiliation or whatever, because he thinks mocking people for those things is funny--and so does his audience. That's the bully mentality, one which is often followed up with, "What's the matter? Can't you take a joke?" No, because we know you actually mean it.

Rickles' "victims" actually enjoyed his insults because they knew he didn't mean it. Witness Reagan and his cabinet members being really good sports about it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The biggest problem with his supporters is that they do not understand humor of any kind. They equate humor with name calling.

They are the most humorless, unfunny group of fucks I've ever seen.

However, on our side ...

So there's this whole "Million Maga March" thing, hahahah, trump said something about 2 billion people, but anyway the Twitter Army has intercepted all the hash tags around this "event" and are posting pics ...

... of pancakes, HAHAHAHAHA ....

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
1605313743728.png

lizkat

Reaction score
Aaaaaand... federal prosecutors from 15 different federal court districts have written to US AG Barr asking him to retract his memo authorizing investigation of voter fraud, stipulating there's no evidence of substantial fraud in the elections in their districts, and expressing concern that his memo has put career prosecutors into partisan politics.

https://www.axios.com/election-fraud-prosecutors-bill-barr-23798fdb-85bc-4853-bc69-f274dab2fcad.html

Think this thing might just about be over except for the GSA lady's sig on the transition paperwork and of course the ace in Trump's sleeve, the possibility that his MAGAts planning street events in DC will manage to provoke violence vs any counterprotesters and so invite Trump to try to declare martial law and show his supporters he can still throw his weight around.

Hoping the counter protests hang out on Twitter and just make fun of it all.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
LOL. There’s a whole long, very accessible article about just how badly Trump and his lawyers are abusing the legal system.

Some of this even gets funny.

• In Pennsylvania, Judge Paul Diamond denied the Trump campaign’s motion for an injunction concerning greater access for poll watchers after the plaintiffs’ lawyers admitted that its poll observers were allowed in to observe. The judge questioned the lawyers, “I’m sorry, then what’s your problem?”

Trump is trying these judges’ patience and making his lawyers look like idiots.

Remember this when people like McConnell say that Trump is “entitled” to his day in court.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score

It's resting or maybe stunned.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
⬆️ Now look, mate, I've definitely had enough of this. This campaign is definitely deceased, and when I voted not two weeks ago, they assured me that Trump’s total lack of movement was due to him being tired and shagged out following a prolonged tweet.

lizkat

Reaction score
Waiting for GSA Emily's signature on that transition paperwork... this one's for her.

This girl is a stencil of a brushstroke in the rain
She's a ghost of the city, she's a body through the windscreen
This girl is the snowfall where the spring should have been
She's the stains on the pages of a top shelf magazine

This girl is a black eye, she's a bruise on your knee
She's the ashes of the people that you really meant to be
This girl's the resurrection, she's the comeback
She's the absinthe and whiskey, she is poetry and Prozac

This girl is taking bets, this girl's a silhouette, can't you see?

This girl is the flutter of fake lashes in the mirror
She's a ragged edged fedora or a Spanish souvenir
This girl is the clean cut, she's the frozen ground
She's a knife drawn down the side street when there's no-one else around

This girl's a forged ticket to a Lloyd Webber show
She's the far end of the graveyard up where the nettles grow
This girl is the rainbow in the dewy eyed stares
She's the name tag on the toe of your long dead love affairs

This girl is the wild smile, the icy stare
She's the crackle of the static, she's the curses, she's the prayers
This girl is the junkie in the children's matinee
She's the 4 minute warning, she is hell to pay

This girl is the plunge pool, she is cocaine and Kodak
Now she's out setting sail on the ocean of the soundtrack
This girl is the shaking hand, the rattling cup
With a button and a note saying things are looking up

Top Bottom
1 2