Trump is telling people he thinks he'll be 'reinstated' as president in August

U

User.45

My Twitter is worse than ever.

It has started to recommend nothing but Trumpist right wing qanon crap and stuff. I’m not following any political figures at all, just some independent content creators that either keep their mouths shut about politics or say sane stuff like “mass shootings are horrible”.

View attachment 5788

I’ve spammed “See less often” to no avail. 😭
Kevin Sorbo promoted to you?!:D WTF. I feel old, but I can't fucking stand Twitter. I colleague/friend recommended it for staying on top of cutting edge stuff in our field. That just really stresses me out. Politics on Twitter is like cancer. The only thing I'd enjoy is new synth/audio tech stuff, but I don't have the funds and time to really delve into it. Maybe the issue is with me.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Facebook is totally full of crap. They had a rule, then they changed it. Then they formed this commission, then they didn’t take the commission’s recommendation. Now they’ve got a new rule, and Trump is banned for 2 years under this new rule? The exception for “newsworthy” content is gone… for now?

They can change their rules at any time, with no notice. They are just doing whatever the heck they want, and making up rules to justify what they decide…. It’s like they took MacRumors moderation to a whole new level.

Don‘t be surprised when they change this again… and again, and….
I would agree. Facebook is just a dumpster fire these days.

D

Deleted member 199

I feel old, but I can't fucking stand Twitter.
I had a FB years ago.. I deleted my account before I moved interstate for work, I think, so that would have been sometime before 2006. The funny thing (to me at least) is that it wasn't even the privacy stuff (which was no doubt terrible back then, but I guess I wasn't thinking about it) that made me leave. It was ultimately just a stupid accusation that suddenly made me realise: unlike in real life where I can and do choose to actively not engage with people I take issue with - I don't have that option, because everyone is a friend with someone who is a friend with someone...

Following that Twitter seemed like a better alternative: No deep introspection of every part of your life to make some freakish network of contacts you barely speak to or know.. It was also an interesting way to engage with people in the industry, which was quite refreshing. But somehow it too lost it's appeal.

And here I thought Facebook was online shopping.
Is live stream shopping a thing in the US yet? It's a huge deal over here, and I just can't understand how it's better for either party really. It just seems like window shopping on a travelator to me.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I had a FB years ago.. I deleted my account before I moved interstate for work, I think, so that would have been sometime before 2006.

I had a FB setup very briefly, during 2010 or so I think. The first time an update to privacy terms was issued (inside of a few weeks), I actually read through the thing, was appalled and promptly closed the account.

Is live stream shopping a thing in the US yet?

Per Bloomberg sometime last year, it's been slow to take off in the USA but is huge globally ($1 billion in ithe USA vs $60 billion total in 2019) but that here the covid-19 pandemic had raised interest.

Seems to me after an extended clampdown on ability to go out and shop, people would rather go for the real experience. Still, we're used to the conveniences of online shopping (vast choice, delivery etc, and for some also perhaps the convenience of asking questions remotely rather than risk seeming stupid in person?) so I guess it could be a coming thing. Bloomberg says so with more confidence than I can muster up.

It does sound pretty much like a spinoff of TV ventures like QVC, only made digiitally interactive and of course because of the internet, "anyone" can create a virtual shopping channel and try to get influencers to pick up on it and spread its appeal.

To me the "livestream shopping" phenomenon holds the potential for millions of cheap knockoffs of whichever outlets become successful, and so the net will become cluttered with what will seem far more like a revival of those "shopping haul" videos that were all the rage five and ten years ago, rather than well presented actual shopping experiences.

D

Deleted member 199

I had a FB setup very briefly, during 2010 or so I think. The first time an update to privacy terms was issued (inside of a few weeks), I actually read through the thing, was appalled and promptly closed the account.

Per Bloomberg sometime last year, it's been slow to take off in the USA but is huge globally ($1 billion in ithe USA vs $60 billion total in 2019) but that here the covid-19 pandemic had raised interest.

Seems to me after an extended clampdown on ability to go out and shop, people would rather go for the real experience. Still, we're used to the conveniences of online shopping (vast choice, delivery etc, and for some also perhaps the convenience of asking questions remotely rather than risk seeming stupid in person?) so I guess it could be a coming thing. Bloomberg says so with more confidence than I can muster up.

It does sound pretty much like a spinoff of TV ventures like QVC, only made digiitally interactive and of course because of the internet, "anyone" can create a virtual shopping channel and try to get influencers to pick up on it and spread its appeal.

To me the "livestream shopping" phenomenon holds the potential for millions of cheap knockoffs of whichever outlets become successful, and so the net will become cluttered with what will seem far more like a revival of those "shopping haul" videos that were all the rage five and ten years ago, rather than well presented actual shopping experiences.
Yeah it’s very much the internet shopping equivalent of tv shopping, combined a bit with the streaming concept because they can respond in real time, it’s not just a scripted show.

my wife has used some to get a few cheap toys for our son - it’s generally just going to be competing on price, it’s certainly not more convenient.

and here at least I think some of it is perhaps a way to avoid issues because of the legality. If the goods are counterfeit and/or the seller isn’t actually a registered business declaring income, a live stream from a phone taking payments via some side channel is essentially like a day-stall at a market - a small, time limited target for officials to crack down, and the investment is a lot less, so walking away and setting up a different page is not a big hassle.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yeah it’s very much the internet shopping equivalent of tv shopping, combined a bit with the streaming concept because they can respond in real time, it’s not just a scripted show.

my wife has used some to get a few cheap toys for our son - it’s generally just going to be competing on price, it’s certainly not more convenient.

and here at least I think some of it is perhaps a way to avoid issues because of the legality. If the goods are counterfeit and/or the seller isn’t actually a registered business declaring income, a live stream from a phone taking payments via some side channel is essentially like a day-stall at a market - a small, time limited target for officials to crack down, and the investment is a lot less, so walking away and setting up a different page is not a big hassle.

Heh, well that sort of livestream-shopping seems right for a continuation of the Trump era: A marketplace that's cheap and full of fakes, with circumvention of taxes and regulations... all right up Trump's alley. A sign of his times. But livestream shopping on the cheap might be the ONLY appropriate thing for another round of Trump playing at prez while he golfs and schmoozes with his cronies.

Meanwhile Trump himself is getting too old for the games he's still trying to play. His supporters like Gaetz and his rally base are smoking some pretty good dope to imagine Trump can keep it together long enough to hit the campaign trail again. He appears to be losing the plot of real politics entirely, only his narcissism remains in view....

And so the only reason the GOP still underwrites his nominal head-of-party status is because they're desperate to hold onto his rally base. They need time to figure out if they can suppress enough votes to cheat their way back into power, or they actually have to come up with a platform and some policy statements that will pass muster with their factions.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Is live stream shopping a thing in the US yet? It's a huge deal over here, and I just can't understand how it's better for either party really. It just seems like window shopping on a travelator to me.

I like doing my shopping online. And to be honest, I am the knockoff queen.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Trump has a fraught relationship with pants.

1A9FBFA6-9A2D-4296-8068-143EE1C73517.jpeg

I mean, that’s what a circus clown wears to church on Sunday.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Kevin Sorbo promoted to you?!:D WTF. I feel old, but I can't fucking stand Twitter. I colleague/friend recommended it for staying on top of cutting edge stuff in our field. That just really stresses me out. Politics on Twitter is like cancer. The only thing I'd enjoy is new synth/audio tech stuff, but I don't have the funds and time to really delve into it. Maybe the issue is with me.
Yes, the one and loony! From what I’ve been exposed to through Twitter, he’s the very model of a modern major-assh…Republiqan; An entitled white supremacist antivaxxer feeling persecuted for being Christian.

Let’s see if blocking him (despite never having interacted with him) helps.

Mg6fije.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2