Trump Mourns ‘All the Birds’ Killed by Windmills, Stays Mum on 160K COVID Deaths

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
As reported by TheDailyBeast Trump went on Hannity to blast Joe Biden's pick of Kamala Harris and went on another nonsensical rant, this time showing more empathy for birds killed by windmills while not saying a word about COVID-19

nintchdbpict000297696396-e1486036220436.jpg

With a collapsing economy, mounting COVID-19 deaths, and sinking poll numbers, President Donald Trump on Tuesday night used a primetime interview to sound the alarm over what will surely go down in history as one of the worst atrocities of the 21st century: “all the birds” that keep getting sucked up and devoured by windmills.

While the president spent part of his interview with pro-Trump Fox News host Sean Hannity discussing the apparent bird-killing qualities of windmills, he found no time to say anything about the nearly 165,000 Americans who have died from coronavirus.

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yeah look, Trump doesn't care about the birds or the courts wouldn't have just had to toss out his administration's effort to reinvent the purpose and scope of a hundred-year old law called the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

Trump's crew at Department of Interior had put up an opinion in December of 2017 that said the law was only meant to address "intentional" harm to birds like shooting them. The department's opinion was designed to let industry skate on industrial hazards including stuff like not covering waste oil pools, which birds mistake for water.​
A federal court said uh no, and noted among other things that the Trump admin's opinion would have let BP completely off the hook for having killed a million shore birds via the Deepwater Horizon explosion and the subsequent underwater oil leak in 2010.​

Trump's beef with windmills is about his deep love for the oil and gas industry.

His beef with that law was doubtless about the fact that the Obama administration had strengthened the policy related to the original law, by formally codifying an opinion followed as policy since the 1970s: it had defined an illegal taking under that law as "any action that caused the death of a protected species, whether deliberate or accidental."

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah look, Trump doesn't care about the birds or the courts wouldn't have just had to toss out his administration's effort to reinvent the purpose and scope of a hundred-year old law called the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

His beef with that law was doubtless about the fact that the Obama administration had strengthened the policy related to the original law, by formally codifying an opinion followed as policy since the 1970s: it had defined an illegal taking under that law as "any action that caused the death of a protected species, whether deliberate or accidental."
he cares more about water in his showers then the birds. same with covid victims I bet.

lizkat

Reaction score
If only we could teach feral kitties to prefer things without wings. Or as a NYC pal says, "except maybe pigeons"... rats w/ wings.

Some feral cats are as stupid as stones though, there was an all-black one that used to sit in the fluffy white snow near a bird feeder in my yard, waiting for a chance to grab a careless visitor on the wing... and apparently wondering during all of most afternoons why it wasn't working out for him. I think he got culled by an ugly ol' fishercat (a member of the weasel family) when that critter was wandering around here generally decimating the small animal population for a couple years.

The fisher got most of the red squirrels and a lot of gray ones, probably only a tenth of the very fast moving chipmunks though... and then started in on the homeless cat population, at which point the neighbors with smallish dogs started lock'n'load operations for real trying to locate that fishercat. Guess somebody got him or he actually ran out of handy prey, but the feral cat population hasn't actually come back all that much. That fisher was some relentless hunter, with a terrorizing cry that could wake the dead and give them a heart attack all over again. I don't often remember my dreams but I have waked from a dream a few times in which a fisher was prowling the meadow and making that horrendous call.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
If only we could teach feral kitties to prefer things without wings. Or as a NYC pal says, "except maybe pigeons"... rats w/ wings.

My cats will eat anything that flies, walks, crawls, or slithers. I remember how, before they were born in my back yard, I had a big mole problem. You couldn't even walk around without risking tripping over the bumps above their little tunnels, which crisscrossed all over my back yard.

About a year after they were born? Gone.

Same for the writing spiders that used to set up shop on every corner of my house. Gone.

And the birds. Gone.

And the butterflies. Gone.

The only thing that remains is the big groundhog that lives under the tree in my front yard. The cats are scared of it.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My boys are all spoiled indoor house cats. Two of the 3 have never seen the outdoors other than the occasional trip to the vet or when I try to put them in the pet stroller. (Still working on that, but even a stroll down the driveway terrorizes them.) The third was about a year old when he moved in with us. He’s very happy to be inside, and rarely tries to get out.

I don’t know how they would react if they came face to face with another living creature. The black one hides for hours if other people come in the house!

lizkat

Reaction score
Over the years I've had indoor kitties in NYC, one indoor-outdoor kitty while I was commuting between there and the sticks, and two cat who became indoor-only up here. Of those last two, one was from a shelter and had been found outside in a deserted area near a reservoir in winter; the other I accepted from a rescuer who couldn't keep the cat due to objections from her other cat.

And of course there was also PorchKitty, who while not feral, was a cat of the ingenious sort that "own" several humans and spend time at their respective properties for their own reasons in their own time and on their own terms. She arrived here in the wake of a ferocious blizzard. She belly-swam in here off the road once it was plowed and punched a hole in the screen of the deck door and landed on a table and yowled for room service, which of course I provided. She then hung out on my deck for two and a half years during the overnights and for breakfast, which she was vocal about demanding. Aside from that and the occasional pop-in to the yard for a game of catch-the-wheatstalk or a nap in her little box alongside the porch woodpile, I have no idea where her mysterious rounds elsewhere in the area took her, or what she did while out and about.

Some moron with a pellet gun more or less put paid to PorchKitty's life for reasons unknown. I took her to the vet but she was old, had organ damage and the shock impeded her ability to recover, so she got a little help across that rainbow bridge at the end.

She lived here during a time I had the two indoor kitties, so PorchKitty in times of her good health was not going to join us inside the house. But, at the end of her life she was cared for indoors in a couple of joined pet cages up in my hallway. My sister even made her a little kitty quilt which I suppose was more to comfort me than poor PorchKitty, but the cat got to use it for her remaining time with me and even at the vets. The vet techs washed and returned it to me and now I use it as a laptop dust cover. Her ashes are in a little box in my bookshelf, so she did finally get to be someone's indoor kitty.

PorchKitty-2007.jpg
TwoCageSetup.jpg

Well if this doesn't complete a thread hijack, I don't know what would qualify.

Were we talking about Donald Trump and windmills and birds?

Trump: as I said, his dislike for windmills is about his deep love for the oil and gas industry.
Windmills: jury is out. If we can put people on the moon we can find a way to reduce birdkill by windmills.
Birds: PorchKitty was smart enough or luckless enough never to demo to me that winged creatures were on her menu.

Edit: as for covid-19, the death toll rolls on at more or less muted percentages but the infection spikes threaten our economy.

Top Bottom
1 2