Trump sends cease and desist letters to Republicans

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score

WASHINGTON — Attorneys for former President Donald Trump sent cease-and-desist letters Friday to three Republican organizations asking them to stop using the former president's name and likeness in fundraising appeals and merchandise, a Trump adviser said Saturday.
The letters were sent to the Republican National Committee, the National Republican Congressional Committee and the National Republican Senate Committee — arms of the party tasked with raising money and shaping messaging, among other things, for the midterm elections and beyond.

Well, now. That’s unusual.

Still, unless they’re claiming Trump is actually endorsing anybody, does he have the power to stop them from mentioning his name? I mean, there’s nothing wrong with saying these committees supported Trump, is there? That’s simply a statement of fact.

So why wouldn’t he want these GOP election committees using his name? Hmmm.

He also told (CPAC) attendees "there’s only one way to contribute to our efforts" to elect Trump Republicans: donating to his PAC, or via his website.

Never mind... 😒

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
So why wouldn’t he want these GOP election committees using his name? Hmmm.

He also told (CPAC) attendees "there’s only one way to contribute to our efforts" to elect Trump Republicans: donating to his PAC, or via his website

Never mind... 😒

Yeah, right? What a piece of work "The Former Guy" is, really. And still the GOP just puts up with him because they figure they need every vote his wacko followers might show up to cast in the meantime, in any state or special elections that happen to fall before 2022. The GOP definitely don't want his followers to lose interest. And Trump wants to just keep raising money for himself off his clueless cult. He can do whatever he wants with his piece of the take if he "decides not to run" in 2024.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Let him cease and desist on this.

d20b01efe860e974c45017512c050330.gif

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Most of these issues regarding likeness have different observed rules when it comes to public figures. Because of this, I'm skeptical as to whether his lawyers can do anything more than issue a cease and desist letter. These don't do anything more than establish a record of communication anyway if you actually have a case to litigate.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Who wants to bet it’s because he’s going to start his own party and doesn’t want to be associated with the GOP anymore?
My thoughts also.

Eh, maybe not

Perhaps.

However, I think it is entirely possible that whatever body he founds may not go by the name of "a party" (because the word, as in, "party, political party" may well have become somewhat tainted), but, will, instead, reach for a word which suggests something more uplifting, namely, "movement", a word which will also attempt to convey the impression that, as it is not a mere "party", but, a "movement", it is somehow above politics.

Nevertheless, irrespective of how uplifting this "movement" may turn out to be, they would do well to remember the sorry and tawdry history of many of those ghastly companies founded by Mr Trump.
And all funds must be funneled directly through him.
Exactly: Control the cash flow.
Because, you know, he has been totally forthright and truthful in everything he has ever said.
This should also be borne in mind.

Last edited:

MarkusL

Power User
Reaction score
There is no reason for Trump to start a new party of his own when he already has a party of his own. The GOP has no discernible values left besides Trump worship. There may be some traditional conservatives left in the party but they are a minority.

In the internal struggle of the GOP between conservatism and trumpism neither side wants to give up and form their own party, because the side doing that will lose custody of the voter segment who don't care about policy or leadership and will just vote R no matter what. With Trump on top in the struggle it stands to reason that he is telling the truth about not starting a new party as the situation is now. The move to control the money is just intended to keep his current control for the long haul.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
is this a way to keep the money from going through campaign channels so he can keep it himself? for more personal use?
It is called "skimming" and "profiteering". He can make sure that campaign expenditures go to ShitGibbonCorp operations (e.g., they have to stay on my properties), and skimming is simply calling these funds "overhead".

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
There is no reason for Trump to start a new party of his own when he already has a party of his own. The GOP has no discernible values left besides Trump worship. There may be some traditional conservatives left in the party but they are a minority.

In the internal struggle of the GOP between conservatism and trumpism neither side wants to give up and form their own party, because the side doing that will lose custody of the voter segment who don't care about policy or leadership and will just vote R no matter what. With Trump on top in the struggle it stands to reason that he is telling the truth about not starting a new party as the situation is now. The move to control the money is just intended to keep his current control for the long haul.

LOL Tump has already lost control... he's now just a symbol of right wing populism.... e.g. he was put up as a write-in vote for village trustee in one of the local elections in the counties around here yesterday...

A total of 67 votes were cast for TWO village trustee slots in a village 30 miles from my place. The winners were an incumbent with 23 votes who was on the ballot, and another guy who bothered to campaign and racked up 21 votes for the second seat, which was open.

Runners-up variously accrued write-in votes with counts of 9, 6, 2, 2, and yeah there was a gigantic tie for last chance to gain either seat with four write-in candidates getting 1 vote each, and yeah, Donald Trump was one of those guys, "voluntarily or otherwise".

That little village of about a thousand people straddles three counties and has always leaned way right. Mind you the township itself lies all inside one county, but hey... "freeeeeedummmm!"...

Yeah, don't ask, NYS has weird laws and a lot of grandfathering going back to the 1800s about village boundaries and coexistence with other levels of government. That particular village was wiped out twice during the American Revolution but it kept coming back and was incorporated in the 1820s when it told the township on paper to go to hell in legal terms; the fact that some of the farmers in the village at that time did have land in three counties didn't faze them at all when they declared themselves a separate entity of a township whose borders lay inside one of those counties. America, go figure.​

Anyway I dunno now about Trump's chances for another go at President if he can't even make village trustee in 2021 in dark red upstate rural NY. I'm not saying he was trying to win a seat on the village board, but I am saying I'm surprised the write-in voter didn't manage to persuade a few more villagers to go along with his "nomination" of the former prez for village trustee.

Top Bottom
1 2