Trump signs executive order enabling him to fire Dr. Fauci

Citizenzen

Power User
Reaction score
She had an integral part on the COVID response efforts early on, she rang the alarms on COVID invoking Trump's fury. She even partook in the press conferences briefly until her disappearance from the public's sight. You wouldn't have to google her if she weren't told to STFU.
Disappearance right into a directorship at the CDC.
You're fixating on a Fauci vs. Trump grand showdown. What you see in this video is a Fauci obliteration of the republican talking point of NY doing an awful job (which BTW, I'm so tired of explaining why it is untrue).
Feel free to give up any time you like. It’s a voluntary gig.

U

User.45

Disappearance right into a directorship at the CDC.
Sorry, I really don't understand what you mean here...
Feel free to give up any time you like. It’s a voluntary gig.
No, my friend as a physician I have some obligation to fight misinformation.

I've had a long long argument about NY's COVID response with someone whom I consider an indoctrinated conservative (he thinks the same about me but with liberal, lol). There's this double standard that COVID mortality rate is dropping and hence it is less dangerous (BS), but also beating the drums about how bad NY's mortality was. They guy was trying to tell me that NY pulled the breaks slowly and that Trump was on time (horseshit). So NY being one of the first 3 states locking down is slow, and high mortality is their fault. Yet summer peaks at Republican led states that wanted to solve this issue with personal responsibility, which translated into higher case numbers but proportionately lower mortality is their achievement? When some of NY's mortality rate numbers are due to undertesting, and lack of experience with COVID management, with depleted healthcare resources, while the lower mortality rate for states that were hit later was due to better testing (i.e. more asymptomatic diagnoses and already better treatments [dexamethasone mainly...]). Meanwhile, NY avoided that unnecessary summer peak. Then they say b-b-but the nursing homes. And when asked for an alternative solution to prevent people piling up in hospitals, it's either crickets or fairy tales (mobile hospitals, right, who's gonna staff them?). On the other hand they say De Santis is exemplary even if he opened schools when cases were going up after bars were opened, but Cuomo is a mass murderer. Insanity.

Citizenzen

Power User
Reaction score
Just another example of a stand-up civil servant.

And it was heartening to see Dr. Richard Bright on Biden's Coronavirus Task Force ... while Fauci pleaded that scientists should stay apolitical.

It’s not being apolitical if you remain silent in the face of corruption and malfeasance. That is cowardice and complicity.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Just another example of a stand-up civil servant.

And it was heartening to see Dr. Richard Bright on Biden's Coronavirus Task Force ... while Fauci pleaded that scientists should stay apolitical.

It’s not being apolitical if you remain silent in the face of corruption and malfeasance. That is cowardice and complicity.
In the same way that Biden is staying above Trump's gutter attacks now, I applaud Fauci for doing the same. He is a scientist and it's not his job to get into low-blow politics with a madman, he stated his professional opinions as an expert in his field and that's what we should expect from him.

Citizenzen

Power User
Reaction score
In the same way that Biden is staying above Trump's gutter attacks now, I applaud Fauci for doing the same. He is a scientist and it's not his job to get into low-blow politics with a madman, he stated his professional opinions as an expert in his field and that's what we should expect from him.
If he were merely a scientist, i could see your point. But once you have directly witnessed what trump did to the American people, then it’s like saying you should be apolitical ... when it comes to murder. Fauci will have a lot of explaining to do when it comes to his silence in the face of atrocity. I certainly hope some brave journalists ask some hard questions when this is all over.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Citizenzen @ericgtr12 @PearsonX

i really like reading all the viewpoints on the topic you are discussing.

when (under what conditions) and/if a person has a ethical obligation to remove him/herself from an organization/company/political party/admin/group when that group is no longer meeting with his/her own standards/views.

i usually have said/continue to say that a person in such a situation should remove himself as soon as possible and publically denounce the group they are leaving.

since i feel as above, i tend to call trump supporters and hangers-on co-conspirators. i mean that in every sense of the word.

here is the "but":

i can think of no exception except one: only in the case of civil servants.
this group, where knowledge is housed in our government, should not voluntarily quit.
they should not be silent however. they should make their professional opinion known as loudly as possible.
if they are removed unvoluntarily then that is the price of the truth they pay.
if they remain silent, then they also become co-conspirators.

by the way, generals should never speak their opinion. if generals disagree they should resign.

in the case of Fauci, he is a kind of civil servant.

do i wish he spoke up more in the beginning. yes. very much yes.
at one point i gave up on him.
it was only when realized that the general USAmerican public supported him that i realized he should in fact stay.
Trump can fire him now that the election is over. for spite.
but Fauci really became more trusted than trump.
and that is a large part of why Biden won, i think.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Mango can't fire Fauci. The Good doctor is waiting him out, especially now with Biden headed into the Oval Office. Biden will need his expertise and many years of experience.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
by the way, generals should never speak their opinion. if generals disagree they should resign.

I liked your commentary there... hit pause on the one quoted though, bc was thinking about Charlottesville incident, Trump's assorted responses and then the remarks issued by heads of the four US military forces. Those guys did not resign. They did all make public statements, did not mention Trump by name but spoke out against racism and extremism, in accordance with longstanding policy.

Top Bottom
1 2