Trump Supporters Intimidate Black Voters Who Claimed It Was Like 'The Taliban Had Come to Town'

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
In Marin county California Trump supporters came rolling through in their flag-laden trucks while yelling racial epithets at children and intimidating a predominantly black neighborhood.

Police said as many as 350 vehicles took part in the parade which began at the Marin County Vintage Oaks Shopping Center in Novato and ended at the Gateway Shopping Center in Marin City on Sunday.

"I'm concerned about Marin City, because it's the only Black community in Marin and there is only one entrance and one exit," resident Amber Allen-Peirson told the Chronicle. "Are they going to attack us in the future? What was their point? Were they trying to make a statement?"

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1323067616001355777/

trump-train.jpg

Try to stay safe out there, folks.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
In Marin county California Trump supporters came rolling through in their flag-laden trucks while yelling racial epithets at children and intimidating a predominantly black neighborhood.

It's a provocation for sure. Only safe way to respond to that is don't rise to the bait. But if it happens tomorrow on Election Day, I would expect state law enforcement to start arresting participants in such a caravan for voter intimidation. Blocking access to a polling place is voter intimidation. A highway is how people drive to the polls...

U

User.45

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
It's a provocation for sure. Only safe way to respond to that is don't rise to the bait. But if it happens tomorrow on Election Day, I would expect state law enforcement to start arresting participants in such a caravan for voter intimidation. Blocking access to a polling place is voter intimidation. A highway is how people drive to the polls...
You'll forgive my cynicism, but judging by the posts I've read of people encountering police lately and they are sporting their blue lives bands...

I think you're assuming the law will be interacting with the people causing the disturbances, and NOT the people being disturbed.

I have my doubts.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I truly suspect that Mr Trump is attempting to destabilise the country, and hopes to provoke a violent backlash, which will give him pseudo justification or legal cover to invoke the Insurrection Act and call in the forces of law enforcement that are answerable to a federal authority.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I truly suspect that Mr Trump is attempting to destabilise the country, and hopes to provoke a violent backlash, which will give him pseudo justification or legal cover to invoke the Insurrection Act and call in the forces of law enforcement that are answerable to a federal authority.
You don't just call up the national guard for a lockdown white house, unless you are expecting something.

lizkat

Reaction score
You'll forgive my cynicism, but judging by the posts I've read of people encountering police lately and they are sporting their blue lives bands...

I think you're assuming the law will be interacting with the people causing the disturbances, and NOT the people being disturbed.

I have my doubts.

I sure get that but I wouldn't lump the FBI and state police with local law enforcement. Where I live, the former have generally avoided all partisan public utterances. However, some of the sheriff's deputies have occasionally made their politics pretty clear without making an explicit reference to a candidate for high office.

For example in the runup to 2016 elections, there were some remarks (to the local press no less!) by a couple sheriff's deputies in a few counties around here like if you still want to get another gun this would be the time to do it.

The state troopers in NYS would never say something like that to the press even if some might think it. Sheriff's deputies who subscribe to selective enforcement of laws that they may not care for, though, can be a whole other story in the USA in recent years. I'm not saying any of them around here would brag on being members of the CSPOA (Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association) but some have been explicit about not meaning to work very hard to enforce assorted provisions of NY's SAFE Act.

I get the impression that state troopers in rural areas here try to work with elected officials like mayors or city councils etc if they think there could be a problem with local law enforcement taking some kind of quasi-judicial or extralegal approach to enforcement of any law... in other words they make an effort not to get into some kind of confrontation with another branch of law enforcement themselves.

Personally it's my opinion though that the state troopers here would not stand around watching a Trump caravan try to disrupt anyone's access to polls tomorrow. They didn't stand around when some out of state Trump fans had threatened to come up here and "do something" about a peaceful Muslim community in the area back when Trump was busy tweeting insults to The Squad. They said no threats to any citizens would be tolerated, and they did tacitly accept an influx of local bikers supportive of the community, guys who happend to surround the area in the weekend before the planned "event"... which petered out into a nothingburger.

On the other hand it's hard to know where to draw the line when political protest moves from on-foot to in-cars. It's not a leap to say that's a prelude to domestic terrorism, since we've already seen instances and attempted instances of cars used as weapons of terror, and an ensuing bulking up of protections of walkways and bike paths etc against such behavior.

Still, blocking highways with caravans of vehicles driven by partisans is a relatively new form of "free speech" in the USA. I suppose that we may end up having to suffer through these idiots' realization that duh, you can be busted for not having a valid plate and reggie on a vehicle, and that duh, when you're driving a registered lethal weapon, you own whatever you do with it.

The question then comes down to whaddya gonna do about the potential for a short-lived but massive voter intimidation effort via vehicle caravans in select locations. By the time those tickets land someone in court or with a bench warrant, who the hell knows how many votes were suppressed.]

It's hard to figure that America "won't tolerate" stuff like that even if some officials mouth those words and even mean it. Sure we booted out enough House members in 2018 to flip the chamber, but that doesn't help us enough right now when we're looking at the remnants of a lawless party wink and nod at all manner of voter suppression efforts by their nominal leader and some of the rowdier elements of his base.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I don't know that there's any real point to this besides just being fucking mean.

Why does a bully pick on someone? Because he gets sick enjoyment out of it. This is bullying on steroids. It's like half the country is on a 'roid rage.

We liberals and moderates have been told, oh, you treat the heartland like shit, you call it flyover country, that's why you never get our vote, because you don't care about us, you just care about the coasts. Uh, yeah. I think you're the ones that don't care about anybody else.

Do any of these people stop to ask themselves if this is the kind of behavior their parents taught them? (Rhetorical question: you know the answer is no.)

I don't think about religion much, but I have to wonder where the nationwide clergy has been on all this. Why aren't priests, ministers, rabbis and others mentioning it in their sermons every week? With the nation falling apart, why aren't they vocal about how Jesus' message was for us to take care of each other...not F-U. The silence is deafening. (I can tell they don't talk about this with their flocks because you never read stories about people walking out of their churches or getting in their faces.)

In the end, when they come rolling through town with one of their fucking Trump parades, I think we should remember that the massive protests we've seen throughout Trump's presidency...for immigration, for gun control, etc....have vastly outnumbered these numbnuts. Let's see a Trump parade compare to this:

DZEqbrGU0AAaukg.jpg

And one final thought for when those Trump trucks come rolling through on their big fat tires.

Two words: dart gun.

lizkat

Reaction score
I don't think about religion much, but I have to wonder where the nationwide clergy has been on all this. Why aren't priests, ministers, rabbis and others mentioning it in their sermons every week? With the nation falling apart, why aren't they vocal about how Jesus' message was for us to take care of each other...not F-U. The silence is deafening. (I can tell they don't talk about this with their flocks because you never read stories about people walking out of their churches or getting in their faces.)

Clergy are at least theoretically between a rock and a hard place at least in the pulpit proper. That's because the Johnson Amendment still exists and threatens tax exempt status for churchmen who violate its constraints on certain types of political speech and support for specific political candidates. Even though Trump actually told the IRS to stop enforcing that piece of law, there is concern of course that Trump meant "Throw out any complaints about Republicans preaching from the pulpit."

Also in some religious denominations in the USA, pastors are requested not to speak publicly (write letters to editor etc) about political matters with partisan specificity. Doesn't mean they can't try to thread a needle, but usually means they let official publicans of their denomination do that, because the pulpit itself is not the same as a publishing house: a readership is not the same as a parish.

Top Bottom
1 2