TV evangelist is half right: He says meatless burgers are evil, which of course they are, which in turn alters DNA

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I have yet to try stuff like the impossible burger, but I should. I do cut meat out of around half my meals per week intentionally with altnernatives.

While I don’t intend on eliminating meat from my diet anytime soon, even reducing the amount of meat eaten per week has benefits.

(that pastor makes my eyes roll though)

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the beef lobby is getting in bed bigtime with fringe Christian evangelists.

Kudos to the environmentalists, must have hit some nerves while documenting climate change and other ecological issues related to raising, slaughtering and processing cattle.... never mind human health issues over consuming too much red meat.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally, I think they should stop with the "meatless" propaganda. It's fine on its own merit. If people need it to taste sorta like something else to convince them to eat it then I'm sure that's not the only odd mental hangup they should reevaluate. Maybe ask why you need the same eating motivation as a toddler. From my experience it just causes you to leave more evidence in the toilet. Soy and beans loves to clean out your pipes.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally, I think they should stop with the "meatless" propaganda. It's fine on its own merit. If people need it to taste sorta like something else to convince them to eat it then I'm sure that's not the only odd mental hangup they should reevaluate. Maybe ask why you need the same eating motivation as a toddler. From my experience it just causes you to leave more evidence in the toilet. Soy and beans loves to clean out your pipes.
Propaganda? Like Beyond should stop advertising their product?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I have yet to try stuff like the impossible burger, but I should.

It's alright. I've tried it a few times, and while I can't say it's a 100% match to a real beef burger, it does scratch that same itch.

The biggest downside to it is that no one can claim it's the healthier alternative, given how much salt they throw into those patties. I'd say it's mostly for vegetarians who don't want to give up the griller lifestyle.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Propaganda? Like Beyond should stop advertising their product?

Advertising is fine. I'm just saying they should stop leaning on it's just like meat. In a lot of cases it's not or people are going to be disappointed in a single experience with the general product being told its just like meat and then stop eating it or anything like it because of it. It's like not eating any fruits because you don't like apples and assume that all fruit taste like apples.

lizkat

Reaction score
Advertising is fine. I'm just saying they should stop leaning on it's just like meat. In a lot of cases it's not or people are going to be disappointed in a single experience with the general product being told its just like meat and then stop eating it or anything like it because of it. It's like not eating any fruits because you don't like apples and assume that all fruit taste like apples.

Yep. When I quit eating beef it was well after I had discovered a lentil burger recipe I really liked and had got used to making them ahead, almost always keeping some in the freezser. I didn't ever think of lentil burgers though as competing with ground beef for "sameness" or for a higher approval rating from my tastebuds. To me they're entirely different things and I just left the beef burgers behind after awhile. Not really tempted to try the "beyond...' ones. I have thought about trying fake sausages though. always get stuck reading the label and decide to exit the meat aisles before I get carried away and try to hunt down some lamb. I'm still not any genre of vegetarian really, just usually end up leaving out meat by preference most of the time.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yep. When I quit eating beef it was well after I had discovered a lentil burger recipe I really liked and had got used to making them ahead, almost always keeping some in the freezser. I didn't ever think of lentil burgers though as competing with ground beef for "sameness" or for a higher approval rating from my tastebuds. To me they're entirely different things and I just left the beef burgers behind after awhile. Not really tempted to try the "beyond...' ones. I have thought about trying fake sausages though. always get stuck reading the label and decide to exit the meat aisles before I get carried away and try to hunt down some lamb. I'm still not any genre of vegetarian really, just usually end up leaving out meat by preference most of the time.

I live with a vegetarian and they almost always have something that's supposed to look like it's some kind of meat. I stopped asking what it's supposed to be a long time ago. When offered generally I like it but I'm not in denial about what it is based on what it's shaped like.

lizkat

Reaction score
I live with a vegetarian and they almost always have something that's supposed to look like it's some kind of meat. I stopped asking what it's supposed to be a long time ago. When offered generally I like it but I'm not in denial about what it is based on what it's shaped like.

I've tried some of the Loma Linda products and found most of them so-so. Something that pretends to be fake breakfast sausages, I think it's Saucettes, they seemed ok to me. But since I like veggies, I dont really see the point of buying say a fake hot dog that tries to taste like a real one. I know the real ones are not healthful, but gee the list of chemicals in the fake one is ... impressive.... and the stupid things are not that low in calories or salt either.

So all in all, I keep thinking that it took scientists thousands of years to figure out that what's in hot dogs isn't great for us. How long will it take to figure out that what's in the real ones ain't good for us either. If the answer there is more than 20 years, I'll pass and take my chances with a real hot dog now and then, should I ever happen to run into a NYC dirty water hot dog cart again. I really do miss those things along with the street falafels.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've tried some of the Loma Linda products and found most of them so-so. Something that pretends to be fake breakfast sausages, I think it's Saucettes, they seemed ok to me. But since I like veggies, I dont really see the point of buying say a fake hot dog that tries to taste like a real one. I know the real ones are not healthful, but gee the list of chemicals in the fake one is ... impressive.... and the stupid things are not that low in calories or salt either.

So all in all, I keep thinking that it took scientists thousands of years to figure out that what's in hot dogs isn't great for us. How long will it take to figure out that what's in the real ones ain't good for us either. If the answer there is more than 20 years, I'll pass and take my chances with a real hot dog now and then, should I ever happen to run into a NYC dirty water hot dog cart again. I really do miss those things along with the street falafels.

As far as taste goes, there's something a lot worse than vegetables trying to pass themselves off as meat....turkey claiming to be anything other than just turkey. Luckily "turkey" is in the name so it's easy to avoid.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The Dr. Praeger's burgers are pretty good, specifically the Perfect Burger. It has a real meaty-ness, hahaha, seriously, decent texture, good flavor. BTT you add cheese, some grilled onions, maybe some jalapenos, mayo/etc., on a good bun? The difference vs. a cow-burger isn't that huge, and it GREATLY reduces the sat-fats, has a ton of protein.

I'd take one over something like a bird-burger, but we occasionally have a good ol' bovine sourced hamburger too, we generally keep it to ground sirloin, like a 90/10, cast iron skillet (FFS people do not grill hamburgers ... or even hamberders ...)

1660170329494.png

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
My wife and I are fans. Beyond meat has several products here in Southern California - even ground beef that you can cook with. I’m no chef and my taste buds aren’t anywhere near expert level but I thought it tasted pretty close to meat - texture was near identical as well.

My wife’s family is Peruvian so we eat a lot of meat in our day to day. The thought of reducing that a little and being a little friendlier to the environment adds to the enjoyment imo.

While we have several impossible/beyond meat products in our fridge, we still hit costco once a month to get large quantities of chicken and meat.

Bible is pretty clear - once saved, always saved. Not sure how one finds in the Bible that changing DNA results in losing or being unable to be saved …. God is all powerful right? But we all know people like this do/say stuff like this for the attention.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
Not to upset the vegetarians, but it's difficult to get every nutrient you need without the real deal: a big, juicy, shank of dead animal.

A lot of vegetarians are intelligent people, I get why they are doing it, even though everything we digest is broken down into six basic things: protein, fat, carbohydrates, minerals, vitamins, and water. Everything else is indigestible and eliminated as waste.

However, just because you're intelligent, doesn't mean you have the common sense to follow through. After Steve Jobs was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, he spent nine months trying to diet the cancer away, subsisting entirely on steamed vegetables, fruit, and acupuncture. By the time he sought proper medical treatment, the aggressive cancer had spread to his liver. One unanswered question I will always have is if Jobs had immediately gotten treatment for the ailment that ultimately claimed him, would he have lived longer? The only thing I am reasonably certain of is that mushy broccoli won't cure consumption. Even a genius is capable of magical thinking, the reality distortion field finally failed, and we are all poorer for it.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Not to upset the vegetarians, but it's difficult to get every nutrient you need without the real deal: a big, juicy, shank of dead animal.

I think you might be surprised. If you mean based on the eating habits of North America and parts of Europe, I’d agree. But when you have cultures where vegetarians make up a larger group, there’s clearly ways to make it work at scale. But it does mean using adequate replacements in your diet to do so, and many of those aren’t really present in NA diets to any real extent, which can make getting ingredients harder here. It is changing though as demand increases and we have immigration from regions with more vegetarians.

India is about 1/3rd vegetarian for example, meaning they have more vegetarians than there are people in the US.

The quantity of meat we eat is also a relatively recent phenomenon, made possible by 20th century industry. Readjusting how much meat we eat compared to other parts of our meals would still be a big drop in the farming footprint required to feed our population. So I don’t think we even need to eliminate meat to have a noticeable impact on health and the environment.

I’m not really sure what vegetarianism has to do with Jobs’ new age woo. While there are those who get involved in woo and become vegan or vegetarian, the two are orthogonal.

Colstan

Site Champ
Reaction score
I think you might be surprised. If you mean based on the eating habits of North America and parts of Europe, I’d agree. But when you have cultures where vegetarians make up a larger group, there’s clearly ways to make it work at scale. But it does mean using adequate replacements in your diet to do so, and many of those aren’t really present in NA diets to any real extent, which can make getting ingredients harder here. It is changing though as demand increases and we have immigration from regions with more vegetarians.
I appreciate the explanation. I realize there are multiple diets with ways to supplement the nutrients in meat. My comment was dripping with hyperbole, which wasn't perhaps clear as I had wished.
I’m not really sure what vegetarianism has to do with Jobs’ new age woo. While there are those who get involved in woo and become vegan or vegetarian, the two are orthogonal.
It wasn't so much the choice of diet that I was referring to, but the fact that he thought he could magic away his cancer with such a notion; it just so happens that broccoli and fruit juice were his choice of witches' brew, but would have applied to any diet. However, at least from personal observation, many new age sorcerers also have a predilection for veggies.

Top Bottom
1 2