Twitter not welcoming Trump back ever

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Ahhhh, feels good. A bit surprised though. Ad revenue up with him gone? Easy decision, if true.

There have been rumbles again lately of Twitter going to a subscription model, based on some recent acquisitions plus last summer's frank admission during an earnings call that the company was looking anew at revenue raising options.

Subscription? Uh... methinks that the Trump rally base and his unimaginative or at least heavily scripted followers are unlikely to shell out to other than their guy, so the permanent loss of Trump as a "draw" to a social media platform might not cost very much in reality. I've certainly liked the platform more after a lot of his fans disappeared along with the erstwhile Pied Piper. I'm sure Dorsey doesn't envy the tribulations of Parler et al meanwhile.​
How can anyone on the planet not yet understand that Trump is always going to cost more in the end than he brings to the table?​

[ A lot of the rest of us might sub to Twitter if they'd finally cough up an edit feature. Closest they've gotten to that is asking whether people would use an "Unsend" feature. I'm not gonna say that's lame, but there's already a delete-tweet option which seems like a close cousin to "unsend" and still doesn't offer the flexibilities of a tweet-editing feature. ]

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Now, as you know, CFSG has his own personal twitterish, which I will not link to for obvious reasons. One of his noises was
“… because the Radical Left Lunatics are afraid of the truth, but the truth will come out anyway …”​
which makes me think
45DA9F2F-0673-493C-AF72-D73B752CD02F.png

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
There have been rumbles again lately of Twitter going to a subscription model, based on some recent acquisitions plus last summer's frank admission during an earnings call that the company was looking anew at revenue raising options.

Subscription? Uh... methinks that the Trump rally base and his unimaginative or at least heavily scripted followers are unlikely to shell out to other than their guy, so the permanent loss of Trump as a "draw" to a social media platform might not cost very much in reality. I've certainly liked the platform more after a lot of his fans disappeared along with the erstwhile Pied Piper. I'm sure Dorsey doesn't envy the tribulations of Parler et al meanwhile.​
How can anyone on the planet not yet understand that Trump is always going to cost more in the end than he brings to the table?​

[ A lot of the rest of us might sub to Twitter if they'd finally cough up an edit feature. Closest they've gotten to that is asking whether people would use an "Unsend" feature. I'm not gonna say that's lame, but there's already a delete-tweet option which seems like a close cousin to "unsend" and still doesn't offer the flexibilities of a tweet-editing feature. ]

I think social media should shift to a paid subscription model. Giving everybody a soapbox for free has been a disaster. Maybe have a free tier but make it extremely limited on features, maybe nothing more than a glorified group text.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I think social media should shift to a paid subscription model. Giving everybody a soapbox for free has been a disaster. Maybe have a free tier but make it extremely limited on features, maybe nothing more than a glorified group text.

But, the point here is that the "free" model of social media does have a product; that product is you, (and your data) which is sold (or made available) to advertisers.

Re Twitter banning the loathsome Mr Trump (again): Excellent.

U

User.45

But, the point here is that the "free" model of social media does have a product; that product is you, (and your data) which is sold (or made available) to advertisers.

Remember in the early 2000s when the music and movie industry came up with those ridiculous numbers of lost revenue because of downloads they never ever would have been able to realize until streaming services paved the way? Now they can maximize revenue and harvest data to the max. Social media kinda starts where these above industries took 15 years to arrive. Zuckerberg's joking about "keeping instagram free", LOL, but they would never be able to realize revenue within 2 margins of magnitude (i.e. 100th) in a subscription model. This is because in a subscription model would give significant leverage to users to hold the company accountable for their shit and thus they would have to live up to much higher cyber security, financial, and ethical standards.

One way to approach this is to declare social media a utility and regulate it as such. But that requires a bunch of intermediate steps, such as regulating fucking ISPs to quit their broadband cartel gig bullshit.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

I don't have a big problem with the data harvesting so much as the "You hate stuff? Let me connect you with other people that hate the same stuff." main road it started taking.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Remember in the early 2000s when the music and movie industry came up with those ridiculous numbers of lost revenue because of downloads they never ever would have been able to realize until streaming services paved the way? Now they can maximize revenue and harvest data to the max. Social media kinda starts where these above industries took 15 years to arrive. Zuckerberg's joking about "keeping instagram free", LOL, but they would never be able to realize revenue within 2 margins of magnitude (i.e. 100th) in a subscription model. This is because in a subscription model would give significant leverage to users to hold the company accountable for their shit and thus they would have to live up to much higher cyber security, financial, and ethical standards.

One way to approach this is to declare social media a utility and regulate it as such. But that requires a bunch of intermediate steps, such as regulating fucking ISPs to quit their broadband cartel gig bullshit.

I've been subscribing to YouTube Red, now Premium, for years. I'm more than happy to fork out $10 a month to not have to see an advertisement ever. I also have zero interest in dictating what YouTube allows to post. I don't know how much of a success that is for YouTube but I think it's something social media should explore as an option, maybe find a way to point you to interests that aren't outrage bait.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Here is another reason they are not going to welcome him back (unless, perhaps, if he tweets as "Fuckface von Clownstick"):

The key part of this story is
“Pursuant to a criminal investigation being conducted by the United States Attorney’s Office, it is required that you furnish the requested records as described in the attached subpoena,” the DOJ wrote to Twitter in November 2020, according to the unsealed documents. The request sought the name, address and other personal information associated with the @NunesAlt account.
… The subpoena was also subject to a gag order, which forbade the company from revealing the request to the unidentified user in question. Revealing those requests is embedded in the company’s terms of service and is part of their normal legal process when claims are made against users. That gag order was lifted Monday morning.

The government trying to secretly go after a person that makes them sad with words is just Pinochet-Duvalier-Somoza-Noriega evil.

Top Bottom
1 2