Ukraine taking it to Russia

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I've read there's a known problem with the T-62 in that shells for the cannon are stored in the turret, and while this makes reloading faster, it also means that this spare ammo will explode if some of the anti-tank fire hits the turret. This kills everybody inside and also causes the turret to fly off.

That’s primarily T-72 and newer with the auto-loader that makes them susceptible to the turrets blowing off. I’m not sure I would call it a problem as much a consequence of design tradeoffs. The T-62 is basically an upgraded WWII-era T-55 and AFAIK does not have an auto loader, though I suppose it’s possible they could have upgraded them. I think these T-62’s essentially came from Russia’s national guard, so I doubt they invested that much into them. I would suspect they’re not putting them on the front lines, rather to hold gained territory.

In the case of Russian tanks, autoloaders are actually slower than a human at loading the cannons, but a human eventually gets tired- so both have their speed-related merits. The rate of fire also depends on the type of ammunition. The mechanism inhibits the angle of fire and in the case of failure makes loading extremely slow. They also require one less person in the tank which has its pros and cons.

Ultimately Russian tanks are largely designed for cheap mass production, low running costs, and to be small so as to be a smaller target. By comparison tanks (the M1) are far more expensive, much bigger, more complicated, and there’s a much bigger focus on survivability considering these tanks were designed for a European invasion during Cold War and shipping over replacements would not be quick. Whereas Russia could just keep churning out tanks and easily get them to the front lines. The M1 for example keeps its ammunition separated by the crew with a blast door, only opening when needed.

Regardless of the turret blowing off, chances are if you’re hit with an anti-tank projectile the crew inside will be killed anyways- in many cases it’s the shrapnel and molten metal from the hull of the tank flying through the interior and bouncing off the walls that kills. That said, a tank with an exploded turret is useless. A tank without an exploded turret might have a chance of being repaired and put back into service.

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Russian mercenary leader Vladimir Andonov, known as "The Executioner" was assassinated by a sniper in Kharkiv. Andonov was a top leader of the Wagner Group, a right-wing Russian "militia"-type organization – odd that Putin would be getting help eradicating "Nazis" with help from an organization with "Wagner" in the name.

In other uplifting news, a major general and a lieutenant general failed to make it across a bridge in Donetsk.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Russian mercenary leader Vladimir Andonov, known as "The Executioner" was assassinated by a sniper in Kharkiv. Andonov was a top leader of the Wagner Group, a right-wing Russian "militia"-type organization – odd that Putin would be getting help eradicating "Nazis" with help from an organization with "Wagner" in the name.

In other uplifting news, a major general and a lieutenant general failed to make it across a bridge in Donetsk.
Good. Target Putin next.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Let’s take "just cause" out of it for a minute…

ONE:

The US to Ukraine: “Let us know about your military”
Ukraine: “Don’t worry about it. Just keep sending weapons.”
Excuse me?

TWO:

Despite being geographically closer to Russia and therefor a lot more under threat, the US is still providing the lion’s share of support with little sign from NATO countries that they are going to step up a lot more, or like we like to say in the US, pay their fair share. Also of note, by comparison a lot of Europe is a massive welfare state but we can’t afford to come even close in the US. I wonder why.

THREE:

By a lot of accounts the sanctions have done very little to Putin and you could probably argue they’ve actually harmed those outside Russia even more via oil prices. In an ironic twist the sky high oil prices are actually helping Putin. Maybe not one to one, but what he lost in customers he made up for in price hikes.

So…..what exactly are we doing here? What’s the end game? To me it seems like it's going to be (per usual) a lot of people dead and the same rich assholes being even richer assholes. And that's it.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Despite being geographically closer to Russia and therefor a lot more under threat, the US is still providing the lion’s share of support with little sign from NATO countries that they are going to step up a lot more, or like we like to say in the US, pay their fair share.

Norway, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia and Poland all have land borders with Russia – no other NATO country is closer to Russia than is the US.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Norway, Estonia, Lithuania, Latvia and Poland all have land borders with Russia – no other NATO country is closer to Russia than is the US.

If there is a real world war that doesn’t just involve Russia and the US turning each other’s land masses into craters with missiles over the course of a couple hours I highly doubt the European countries not directly bordering Russia are going to be allowed to just set up bleachers and make popcorn. Even if they’d like to they are well aware that if Russia emerges the victor they’re next. They'll also realize that maybe they shouldn't have let the US be 90% of their military. And who knows, maybe China will want to join in the fun too. At this time it doesn't seem like they'd pick Team Europe.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how the war will proceed with Boris Johnson resigning. I’ve been under the impression the UK has often been leading in support of Ukraine with the US following suit.

I’ve also noticed growing calls for a peace deal to be made, largely because of energy costs. While that’s perhaps an easier solution, it’s understandably not what most Ukrainians want according to polls. It also does nothing to prevent another invasion from Russia in several years. And who knows if Russia would even agree to that.

If we are going to support Ukraine and suffer the consequences, I think it would be in everyone’s best interest to give Ukraine everything needed to win the war, not this just in time delivery of weapons after weeks of public hemming and hawing. For example, the Ukrainians request rocket systems, we say no, the UK eventually says yes, then we shortly thereafter send HIMARS rockets… but at a very slow rate. Now maybe we actually send a lot more to deceive the Russians. Allegedly there are now 18 HIMARS in Ukraine- a much better number than the original 4.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. Missile systems should definitely make a big difference. At the same time, retaking already conquered land from Russia could be very difficult. And what is conquered is for the most part completely leveled. Sanctions don’t appear to be having the intended effect.

My thought is either give the Ukrainians everything they need to let them win the war most efficiently or push for peace. This middle of the road option does not seem ideal for Ukraine and may be intended to painfully grind down the Russian military more than anything.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Has anybody seen the Ukrainian parades in their bombed out cities celebrating the Russians liberating them from all the Nazis? Me neither. Doesn’t mean they don’t appreciate it though. Better to live in a pile of rubble than in solid standing structures amongst all those Nazis with their salutes and listening to metal.

Top Bottom
1 2