Upcoming, Rumored Movie, TV Projects

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I always love the B5 intro, this is the version from Season 1 (it changed by season), delivered by Michael O'Hare who played the first Commander, Jeffrey Sinclair.

It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, ten years after the Earth-Minbari war. The Babylon project was dream given form. Its goal: To prevent another war by creating a place where humans and aliens could work out their differences peacefully. It's a port of call; home away from home for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanders. Humans and aliens wrapped in two million five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal, all alone in the night.

It can be a dangerous place, but it's our last best hope for peace. This is the story of last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2258. The name of the place is Babylon 5.

In looking this up, I had no idea about the specifics of Michael O'Hare's departure after S01 (he appeared a few EPs in S02/03):

Wikipedia said:
Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski revealed after O'Hare's death, that the actor had suffered from severe mental illness.[42][43][44] During the filming of the first season of Babylon 5, O'Hare began having paranoid delusions, and halfway through, his hallucinations worsened. It became increasingly difficult for O'Hare to continue working, his behavior was becoming increasingly erratic, and he was often at odds with his colleagues. Straczynski offered to suspend production for several months to accommodate treatment; however O'Hare feared that such a hiatus would put the series at risk, and he didn't want to jeopardize others' jobs. Straczynski agreed to keep O'Hare's condition secret to protect his career, and O'Hare agreed to complete the first season, but would be written out of the second season so that he could seek treatment. His departure from the cast was announced without explanation, except that it was mutual and amicable.[45][46]

His treatments were only partially successful. He reappeared in a cameo appearance early in season two ("The Coming of Shadows") and returned in season three for a two-part episode ("War Without End") which closed his character's story arc. At that time, Straczynski promised O'Hare to keep his condition secret "to my grave". O'Hare told him to instead "keep the secret to my grave", arguing that fans deserved to eventually learn the real reason for his departure, and that his experience could raise awareness and understanding for people suffering from mental illness. He made no further appearances on Babylon 5, but continued to support the show and appeared at conventions and signing events until his retirement from public appearances in 2000.

On September 28, 2012, Straczynski posted that O'Hare had suffered a heart attack in New York City five days earlier, and had remained in a coma until his death that day.[47] Eight months later, Straczynski revealed the circumstances of O'Hare's departure from Babylon 5 at a presentation about the series at the Phoenix Comicon.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I remember reading about that. Very sad. But also handled very sympathetically and professionally by all involved.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
I always love the B5 intro, this is the version from Season 1 (it changed by season), delivered by Michael O'Hare who played the first Commander, Jeffrey Sinclair.

It was the dawn of the third age of mankind, ten years after the Earth-Minbari war. The Babylon project was dream given form. Its goal: To prevent another war by creating a place where humans and aliens could work out their differences peacefully. It's a port of call; home away from home for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanders. Humans and aliens wrapped in two million five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal, all alone in the night.

It can be a dangerous place, but it's our last best hope for peace. This is the story of last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2258. The name of the place is Babylon 5.

In looking this up, I had no idea about the specifics of Michael O'Hare's departure after S01 (he appeared a few EPs in S02/03):

Thanks for the additional context, much appreciated. I heard about his illness recently in a podcast that discussed the show too. Poor guy but well handled overall.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Also announced at Netflix's Tudum thingy

I kind of enjoyed the comic this is based on, because it was short & sweet, and answered an obvious question in super hero comics.

Why do villains keep trying to commit crimes in cities that they know heroes frequent? So after an incident, one crook stumbles upon the obvious idea...

Move to Europe.

Of course nothing is really that easy in comics, but it's fun & turns into a heist story.

I was curious how they were going to do this, because I mistakenly thought they'd try live action since they did Jupiter's Legacy that way, and this is far less ambitious.

I enjoy the studio doing this, so I'm looking forward to it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Hahaha, I saw that earlier, I love the throwaway line, "You guys ordered without me?"

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
You ever see his early movie, "Absentia"? It's the typical low-budget kind of movie that horror directors start out with, but he really makes something creepy out of it.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
A WandaVision spinoff with breakout evil witch of 2021, Agatha Harkness? Now this is chaos magic, Wanda.

Variety reports Kathryn Hahn could return as the WandaVision villain—an ancient sorceress who manipulated Wanda’s stay in the town of Westview to open up her ability to wield powerful chaos magic—in the character’s own standalone spinoff series for Disney+. Details beyond that are currently sparse, but WandaVision head writer Jac Schaeffer would return for the series to write and executive produce.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
New trailer for “The Batman”. Not a whole lot different from the first one, so hard to judge anything from it.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Is anybody really waiting to see a septuagenarian Jamie Lee Curtis try to beat Michael Myers over the head with her walker in “Halloween Kills”?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Big Mike Flanagan fan here. This should be great.
While Midnight Mass is quality story telling, I’d suggest a better balance of action vs talk, talk, talk. My wife made a comment about the 3rd episode of being bored, and while I can understand the foundation is being laid, it was a bit too much foundation, more than I needed.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
While Midnight Mass is quality story telling, I’d suggest a better balance of action vs talk, talk, talk. My wife made a comment about the 3rd episode of being bored, and while I can understand the foundation is being laid, it was a bit too much foundation, more than I needed.

I made a similar comment on my review of the series, knocked it down from a 10 to a 9 because of all the long-winded dialogue. However, as I was raised Catholic I have to say the mass homilies were some of the best I've ever heard. It's my belief that unless you're a big fan of the ritual of the mass, the homily is where they lose a lot of people...to sleep if nothing else.

Weeks later I still remember the series and what it makes me think about in the deeper meaning. By comparison I watched A Quiet Place 2 this past Saturday and already completely forgot it by Sunday.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Hopefully this will be good, unlike the many sequel movies that progressively got worse, although the most recent wasn't that bad. And good call on taking the risk to change pinhead to a female. I'm in the camp of many who believes that replacing Doug Bradley as pinhead was a deal-breaker, but this female actor twist might actually work and prevent the inevitable comparisons to Brad if it was another male actor.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Have to say as an HBO Max subscriber they are starting to lose me, recently relying largely on movies being released as the same day they are being released in theaters. I've somewhat justified it to myself that the price of a monthly subscription is roughly the price of a trip to the theater. Hopefully a return to the GoT world will make me feel even better about subscribing.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Have to say as an HBO Max subscriber they are starting to lose me, recently relying largely on movies being released as the same day they are being released in theaters.
That’s the thing that currently keeps me with them. I really don’t want to go to the theater.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
That’s the thing that currently keeps me with them. I really don’t want to go to the theater.

I actually went to the theater about a month after they reopened. I think since then they reinstated some restrictions, but yeah, I really have no interest going to the theater at this time. I'm oddly even more paranoid than I was back then. Even though I live in an area that is pro covid precautions, I feel there are a lot of people who got vaccinated and feel that is a license to run amuck like covid has been completely eradicated. I know more people who got covid after the vaccines were released than before.

Top Bottom
1 2