Upcoming, Rumored Movie, TV Projects

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
That’s the thing that currently keeps me with them. I really don’t want to go to the theater.

The HBOMax thing ends this year, however. After that people will have to go to theaters to see newly released WB movies.

(Not that they've made anything I've wanted to see for the last two years, with the exception of "No Sudden Move" and "ZSJL"...and the latter was streaming-only anyway.)

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The HBOMax thing ends this year, however. After that people will have to go to theaters to see newly released WB movies.

(Not that they've made anything I've wanted to see for the last two years, with the exception of "No Sudden Move" and "ZSJL"...and the latter was streaming-only anyway.)

I’m wondering if theaters are going to experience a similar impact as the people who don’t want to have to go back to the office to work. It would be a real shame to lose the theater experience but very few movies benefit from it, especially as quality home theater setups have become a lot more affordable. I’ve been running a full wall projector in the living room for years and I have recliners. I can’t think of anything I’ve watched on that setup that I would have rather seen in a theater, no matter how epic. Not to mention the food and beverages are cheaper and I can pause or stop the movie and go back to it later. Plus I'm not going to force myself to finish a movie that is garbage.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering if theaters are going to experience a similar impact as the people who don’t want to have to go back to the office to work. It would be a real shame to lose the theater experience but very few movies benefit from it, especially as quality home theater setups have become a lot more affordable. I’ve been running a full wall projector in the living room for years and I have recliners. I can’t think of anything I’ve watched on that setup that I would have rather seen in a theater, no matter how epic. Not to mention the food and beverages are cheaper and I can pause or stop the movie and go back to it later. Plus I'm not going to force myself to finish a movie that is garbage.
I don't have quite the same setup — just a high end TV that's close enough to seem like a movie screen — but I agree. Before the pandemic I went to a few movie theaters with reclining seats, but the comfort was offset by having to deal with sticky floors and chatter by other movie-goers. I guess I'm going to have to wait longer for some of the movies I want to see.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
While Midnight Mass is quality story telling, I’d suggest a better balance of action vs talk, talk, talk. My wife made a comment about the 3rd episode of being bored, and while I can understand the foundation is being laid, it was a bit too much foundation, more than I needed.

It was mediocre and desperately stretched to make seven episodes when 4 would have been sufficient.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’d give Bly a 7/10 while this one maybe 5.5 or 6. Haunting i haven’t watched yet.

I thought Hill House was better than Bly Manor overall, but they are also different in a lot of ways. I asked because some people don't like Flanagan's style of heavy character development which sometimes means long sections of an episode or an entire episode or two that feel like a lead weight to moving the main story along. I sometimes feel that way too but appreciate it more on reflection or a rewatch. I think it certainly makes you remember the individual characters more.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
It was mediocre and desperately stretched to make seven episodes when 4 would have been sufficient.
The Killing was another good story, but I can remember these long extended conversations and explorations of feelings, perspective, prejudices, etc, which feel like filler when you give characters too much time on their hands, before the next plot advancement. In the process at some point I (figuratively) throw my popcorn at the TV, ok, I’ve got the picture, move on people! :)

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Killing was another good story, but I can remember these long extended conversations and explorations of feelings, perspective, prejudices, etc, which feel like filler when you give characters too much time on their hands, before the next plot advancement. In the process at some point I (figuratively) throw my popcorn at the TV, ok, I’ve got the picture, move on people! :)

I think it’s a way to attract a different kind of viewer that wouldn’t normally be interested in the main genre, but it can be a turnoff for the genre fan that is used to a straightforward plowing ahead plot.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

How you know when an action movie is going to be shit: when they use rap, metal, or rap metal for the trailer. At best it will be "stupid fun".

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score

How you know when an action movie is going to be shit: when they use rap, metal, or rap metal for the trailer. At best it will be "stupid fun".

That hurts the metal fan in me, although I do see your point. In addition, it’s based on a video game and features Marki Mark and boring millennial Spiderman 2…

Another cure for insomnia when I get tired of Transformers or Marvel.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
That hurts the metal fan in me, although I do see your point. In addition, it’s based on a video game and features Marki Mark and boring millennial Spiderman 2…

Another cure for insomnia when I get tired of Transformers or Marvel.

I like metal as well, but when used in a trailer it's pretty much the hallmark of a terrible script. It's like they thought of a bunch of action sequences and consider everything else filler.

I know it's based on a video game, but there are those who were hoping this would be the next Indiana Jones-like franchise.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to seeing Wes Anderson's The French Dispatch, postponed due to covid, but now scheduled for theatrical release on October 22. Full title of the film is The French Dispatch of the Liberty, Kansas Evening Sun.

It's not in the action-adventure category of films likely to land in my latest Netflix-generated "Lizkat, what are people watching in your area?" newsletter.... but there's already chatter about how the film might find a slot in the Oscars for Best Production Design.

It will undoubtedly become a cult classic for at least the aficionados of The New Yorker in its eras before Tina Brown came along and made the magazine (and certainly its covers) more topical, as the film is modeled on how a couple of the magazine's much earler editors and staff writers had operated and indeed established the magazine's reputation for fact checking and for long reads on unlikely topics and profiles of surprisingly interesting people.

With that reputation of course came certain unyielding attitudes of The New Yorker's earlier editors towards social change, not least within its own environs, not just the city but the offices of the magazine. Anyway the magazine itself of today has taken an interest in Wes Anderson's film, and has run a few pieces already about The French Dispatch. I got a kick out of one written by the current editor of The New Yorker's archives:

The French Dispatch is a movie that I am very much looking forward to seeing, as well.

Actually, I love the work of Wes Anderson.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
And I thought movie theaters were in trouble before COVID. :oops:

Top Bottom
1 2