Urban Density

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I spent a year renting a block away from this street, this is a typical San Francisco suburb and some of the hills can be gnarly. Took a meetup group there last weekend and I'm still sore from walking around.

DSC05383_web.jpg

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Are those garages on the first level? That parking's fucked.
Yes, all homes there are built with the garage on the ground floor with the main living area up a flight of steps, in the city of San Francisco itself this style of build is also pretty common.

However, since buying a home there is next to impossible for the average blue collar worker (minimum of $1.1 million per home) they convert the garages into ground floor units and rent them out, or expand for family. In many of these homes there are 8 to 10 people living within 4 bedrooms and as a result parking is a nightmare on the streets.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Ummmm..... No thanks. Too many people in too close a space for my taste.

Some people love it, and more power to them. But I am not one of those people.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I broke out in hives when I saw the parking, but I'm a fussy parker. Hahaha, if we move to a few places we've considered, I better get over that shit :D I'll probably put 37s, a lift, steel front and rear bumpers on the Jeep, and just get rid of the sissy Tesla :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Speaking of ...

I saw a ton of Wranglers in the NYC area when we were just up. I think people figured out they're handy, modular (so easy to modify, re-configure, replace parts), are immune to curbs, have killer 4WD systems (for inclimate weather), are easy to see out of / park / have excellent turning radius (radii ...), so they actually make a pretty solid urban assault vehicle.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, all homes there are built with the garage on the ground floor with the main living area up a flight of steps, in the city of San Francisco itself this style of build is also pretty common.

However, since buying a home there is next to impossible for the average blue collar worker (minimum of $1.1 million per home) they convert the garages into ground floor units and rent them out, or expand for family. In many of these homes there are 8 to 10 people living within 4 bedrooms and as a result parking is a nightmare on the streets.

A friend bought a house in the Mission about 15 years ago (has sense GTFO of SF and the US entirely). Back then if a house in SF had a garage it added100k minimum to the asking price of the house, and that's just a one-car garage. There are also a lot of areas where driveways are nonexistent. So if you can't park your car in your garage you are going to be looking for street parking like the rest of the losers. I'm sure having a garage in SF now costs even more than 100k for that luxary.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
A friend bought a house in the Mission about 15 years ago (has sense GTFO of SF and the US entirely). Back then if a house in SF had a garage it added100k minimum to the asking price of the house, and that's just a one-car garage. There are also a lot of areas where driveways are nonexistent. So if you can't park your car in your garage you are going to be looking for street parking like the rest of the losers. I'm sure having a garage in SF now costs even more than 100k for that luxary.

That was around the beginning of the tech explosion and gentrification in SF. Back then I had 20+ photographer and artist friends living in SF. With that there was always lot of related social activities. Skyrocketing rents (and smarmy tech bro attitudes) drove all but four or five out to other cites/states/countries over the following 10 years. A real shame as SF lost a lot of its arts-related culture.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Somehow I think I messed up your above post. Not sure which editor I was in. I think.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
That pic gives me anxiety lmao

I love visiting SF, but I don't think I could live there, and that is one reason why. I'm used to sprawl. I could live in LA.

Top Bottom
1 2