USB PD up to 240W

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I think it opens up for more peripherals, and for other kinds of devices being powered by USB too, not only beefier laptops.

Can’t really see myself using a 240W ‘gaming’ laptop (unless that’s what an employer supplies), but who knows. Maybe something with well-designed cooling to be used for machine learning/crunching prototyping purposes when I’m not in the same room.

As long as cheaper devices and cables can stay cheap and stick with their lower power power limits, 240W on the extreme end sounds exciting!

D

Deleted member 199

It's interesting how this concept plays with things like the 24" M1 iMac or Mac mini too.

100W is not feasible for the iMac, it's probably too tight even for the mini if you want bus-powered devices connected to it, but at 240w it'd be a possibility.

We could end up in the full reverse of Apple's ADC from ~20 years ago, only now the display plugs into AC, and provides power to a connected desktop (still crazy to think they were pushing power to run a CRT through a video card!)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

So it looks like the 100W limit of USB-PD is going up to 240W... "sometime". It still boggles the mind that a laptop would need such power.
I cannot begin to imagine how hot a 240W-draw 'gaming' laptop gets, given how warm a MBP that runs on ~85ish watts gets.

When I was at the peak of my AR/VR dev work/company, we scored a few AORUS X7s 17" beasts, these had an overclocked 4.0GHz I7, 32GB RAM, dual drives, and an 8GB GTX1080 (basically the desktop version). Hahaha, when they were under load, they'd get into the 50-60° C for long periods, multiple fans running at full RPMs, you almost had to shout over it ...

I believe they used a 230w power adapter.

Last edited:
U

User.45

When I was at the peak of my AR/VR dev work/company, we scored a few AORUS X7s 17" beasts, these had an overclocked 4.0GHz I7, 32GB RAM, dual drives, and an 8GB GT1080 (basically the desktop version). Hahaha, when they were under load, they'd get into the 50-60° C for long periods, multiple fans running at full RPMs, you almost had to shout over it ...

I believe they used a 230w power adapter.
50-60C is pretty good though. The rest can serve as a noise cancellation system.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
D

Deleted member 199

Another 50W and you can power a very small lawnmower.
A future where most home appliances run on low(ish) voltage DC would be interesting.

I wonder what the total global energy loss is, due to all the appliances that do 'just good enough' conversion to DC.

Top Bottom
1 2