Vaccine Booster

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
I think it's time to have a national vaccine mandate for all that have been approved for it, including teens and younger children. And re-open all the special vaccination centers with the help of the National Guard if necessary. Biden-Harris should have been pushing for this months ago with the Flu & Winter seasons expected to be a rerun of last year. With Delta running rampant, we can't afford to go back to extremely high death and infection rates.

My grandmother took the initiative to get her booster on her own. Hubby and I traveled to her for her first two shots and were prepared to take her for her booster. She chuckled when I called to schedule it. "I got it scheduled weeks ago and there'll be a mobile van down the street end of the week!" She can't understand why anyone would either not get vaccinated, or fail to get a booster after getting double-dosed. She's in her 90s and uses a walker, yet got a booster with the help of GP during her semi-annual physical.

I really hope we're not going backwards, but a few weeks in semi-rural/suburban Virginia and even parts of Queens, NYC has me very worried.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
My work is hosting a retreat in the bay area and I had to let them know that they will not be able to do anything or stay in any hotels there without proof of a vaccine. Case rates have always been steadily low there because they are serious about restrictions. I think the more the free market embraces it, the more people will feel like they have to do it and unfortunately that's what it will take.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I think it's time to have a national vaccine mandate for all that have been approved for it, including teens and younger children. And re-open all the special vaccination centers with the help of the National Guard if necessary. Biden-Harris should have been pushing for this months ago with the Flu & Winter seasons expected to be a rerun of last year. With Delta running rampant, we can't afford to go back to extremely high death and infection rates.

My grandmother took the initiative to get her booster on her own. Hubby and I traveled to her for her first two shots and were prepared to take her for her booster. She chuckled when I called to schedule it. "I got it scheduled weeks ago and there'll be a mobile van down the street end of the week!" She can't understand why anyone would either not get vaccinated, or fail to get a booster after getting double-dosed. She's in her 90s and uses a walker, yet got a booster with the help of GP during her semi-annual physical.

I really hope we're not going backwards, but a few weeks in semi-rural/suburban Virginia and even parts of Queens, NYC has me very worried.
I agree, but even the existing mandates have been shut down by Trump-appointed judges. And the SCOTUS will probably block them too. There is no way that Justice Alito, who buys into the “CRT is as bad or worse than white supremacy” nonsense will uphold anything done by Biden.

In the last ruling listed there, the judge quoted a discredited doctor who had made false claims about COVID-19.

It’s Trump’s world now. We’re just living in it.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score

I agree in sentiment, however I’m not sure a mandate coming too down from the government is ever going to stick. There’s probably always going to be a judge somewhere to block it. It happened with Biden and De Blasio. If this goes to the Supreme Court I suspect it will be knocked down.

I think Biden made the mistake of making his mandates look totally arbitrary- first with the federal employee/govt contractor granting a bunch of exceptions. Then with the second one arbitrarily mandating vaccines to employers with over 100 employees and requiring vaccinations and despite the emergency nature of his policy announced in September 2021, mandating employees be fully vaccinated by January 2022. It just creates bad optics and creates reasons for people to question the mandates legitimacy.

Even if government mandates did pass, how many of those opposed would just declare religious exemption? I’m not sure that can legally be challenged too hard by employers.

I also do think there is a danger in potentially having to fire off swathes of healthcare workers who refuse to be vaccinated, especially with the numbers where they are and general shortage of staff as it is. In September the CDC said 30% of “healthcare workers” are unvaccinated. At the time about 95% of physicians were vaccinated and 90% of RN’s- the people not vaccinated: mostly nursing assistants, nurses aids, etc who don’t have extensive medical training. But still, to loose 30% of hospital staff would cause problems. I imagine this 30% also includes administrative staff and other non-clinical workers.

I feel even the causal pondering of mandates drives those opposed to vaccines even deeper into their opposition. And I’d love to hear what the justification is now against vaccines now that billions have taken them, dating back almost a year now.

Frankly, I think the damage has been done and these people will not be changing their mind. It’s shameful how political COVID is in this country.

And don’t get me wrong, I just fired one of my employees this week for refusing vaccinatio despite Biden’s healthcare mandate in limbo. We hired this young man 2 months ago and he wasn’t vaccinated (and no natural immunity). We politely asked him many times to consider doing so considering he’s working in a residential psych program with 25 patients + a number of staff. He would shut down any non-judgemental inquiry as to what his hesitancy was about. Two weeks ago we told him he had two weeks to get his first dose or he’d be taken off the schedule. He did not get vaccinated. I asked if he had trouble getting an appointment he said he didn’t even try. So he was terminated.

U

User.45

And don’t get me wrong, I just fired one of my employees this week for refusing vaccinatio despite Biden’s healthcare mandate in limbo. We hired this young man 2 months ago and he wasn’t vaccinated (and no natural immunity). We politely asked him many times to consider doing so considering he’s working in a residential psych program with 25 patients + a number of staff. He would shut down any non-judgemental inquiry as to what his hesitancy was about. Two weeks ago we told him he had two weeks to get his first dose or he’d be taken off the schedule. He did not get vaccinated. I asked if he had trouble getting an appointment he said he didn’t even try. So he was terminated.
Good riddance. If someone is touching patients unvaccinated, they should go find a new field for themselves.

U

User.45

Unfortunately a lot of people waited to get their booster, include most healthcare professionals I work with, many not until shortly before Thanksgiving. The most recent data I’ve seen says only 15% of eligible Americans have their booster (65% over age 65, not terrible). But only 7% of the black community have been boosted. Thats not good at all.
Boosters' benefit depends on the current prevalence of COVID. It all depends on the timing related to COVID season, which is driven by the unvaccinated. My family has been eligible for the booster since early August. I told them to wait until October so the extra immunity benefit will better cover COVID season. This is why I'm getting irritated about people talking about the 4th dose.

In my institution, the rules of engagement for those in hands on patient care is wear faceshield and mask. Last report I saw (half a year ago), we did not have a single patient care related infection and this is a relatively large institution. Vaccination+infection control works. Of course our vaccination rate was >97% in September and administrators have been working hybrid.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
I’ve finally had my letter to confirm mine is on Thursday 23rd December. I was getting a bit frustrated as colleagues younger than me who live in different counties have been getting theirs sooner. Hopefully it won’t knock me too much for Christmas Day as I have a busy one.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
finally maybe today. we wanted to go last satururday to a walk in compounding pharmacy but with 20+mph winds and rain and having to stand outside nope. 20 miles in such weather is not find. I can handle rain or wind but both at 40 degrees is nasty. we have an appointment art Walmart if we cant make it.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
man hardcore after I got the bike ready we were riding the 10 miles to the pharmacy. got a flat on the way fixed it .a long line with about twice the people for Pfizer then Madera figured we would get Pfizer boosters to mix it up took about a hour or so . we went to a good store and the wife got some pastries and a slice of pizza to warm up since we had to wait outside. I got some cooked Turkey breast since I only get the protein side of life. then stoped at the grocery store and then rode home.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Boosters' benefit depends on the current prevalence of COVID. It all depends on the timing related to COVID season, which is driven by the unvaccinated. My family has been eligible for the booster since early August. I told them to wait until October so the extra immunity benefit will better cover COVID season.

I’ll be honest, we’ve been waiting a bit for our boosters because we are still in full work from home mode, and wanted to line it up better with the winter spike. Unfortunately, I waited too long and with Omicron it looks like I’m going to be under protected this winter. Perhaps its not so bad that it’s been so wet that I’ve cut down on biking the last couple months.

The only real comfort I take on this is that I’ll still be working from home when my appointment comes up after the new year.

U

User.45

I’ll be honest, we’ve been waiting a bit for our boosters because we are still in full work from home mode, and wanted to line it up better with the winter spike. Unfortunately, I waited too long and with Omicron it looks like I’m going to be under protected this winter. Perhaps its not so bad that it’s been so wet that I’ve cut down on biking the last couple months.

The only real comfort I take on this is that I’ll still be working from home when my appointment comes up after the new year.
Not sure if i follow. Weren’t you able to get the booster?

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Man good thing I got my booster when I did. Sounds like there's a long wait now for boosters. I was able to get mine scheduled 3 days out.

U

User.45

Have an appointment, but the wait lists around here are over a month.

Man good thing I got my booster when I did. Sounds like there's a long wait now for boosters. I was able to get mine scheduled 3 days out.
In my state, you could still get a pfizer dose at CVS, unless you were aiming for Moderna. I suspect the moderna shortage is partly due to the "booster" being a half dose, whereas for pfizer (AFAIK), you get the same thing each time.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
In my state, you could still get a pfizer dose at CVS, unless you were aiming for Moderna. I suspect the moderna shortage is partly due to the "booster" being a half dose, whereas for pfizer (AFAIK), you get the same thing each time.

Is it a different shot? Or do you just get half a regular dose?

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Is it a different shot? Or do you just get half a regular dose?
The Moderna and Pfizer "boosters" are the exact same vaccines as the first two shots, but the dose of the Moderna booster is decreased by 50%. This was done because the immune response with a lower Moderna dose was deemed adequate, with a slightly lower incidence of adverse reactions.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The Moderna and Pfizer "boosters" are the exact same vaccines as the first two shots, but the dose of the Moderna booster is decreased by 50%. This was done because the immune response with a lower Moderna dose was deemed adequate, with a slightly lower incidence of adverse reactions.

Thanks. But what I was looking for is if the Moderna booster is made as a half dose or if the provider just gives you half of a regular dose.

Top Bottom
1 2