Vaccine Booster

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Thanks. But what I was looking for is if the Moderna booster is made as a half dose or if the provider just gives you half of a regular dose.
I'm pretty sure it's the latter — that is, the booster dose comes from a multi-dose vial. It's the same from the patient's perspective, like a 5 mg pill being the equivalent of half a 10 mg pill.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's the latter — that is, the booster dose comes from a multi-dose vial. It's the same from the patient's perspective, like a 5 mg pill being the equivalent of half a 10 mg pill.

Yeah I just didn't know if they packaged them separately to prevent errors when they are dispensed. Certainly makes sense to just ship one type of vial, but let's just say the person who gave me my second dose wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Not sure I would want her determining who got what dose, especially if there were both initial and booster doses in line.

Probably going to get mine this coming week when I have some down time. No appointments here, just walk in and get it.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah I just didn't know if they packaged them separately to prevent errors when they are dispensed. Certainly makes sense to just ship one type of vial, but let's just say the person who gave me my second dose wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Not sure I would want her determining who got what dose, especially if there were both initial and booster doses in line.

Probably going to get mine this coming week when I have some down time. No appointments here, just walk in and get it.
It's possible to administer an incorrect dose with any medication. But the folks that are doing this usually aren't new to the job, and the likelihood of a bad outcome even if you get twice the recommended dose is very low.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks. But what I was looking for is if the Moderna booster is made as a half dose or if the provider just gives you half of a regular dose.
they all come from the same vial the pharmacy we went to had the smaller doses in one tray and the full dose in another. plus another size for children.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It's possible to administer an incorrect dose with any medication. But the folks that are doing this usually aren't new to the job, and the likelihood of a bad outcome even if you get twice the recommended dose is very low.
According to info released by Moderna, if you got a double-dose, you’d actually be more protected, but might have stronger side-effects.

The drug company said its currently FDA-approved 50ug booster was found to increase neutralizing antibody levels against omicron 37-fold compared to pre-boost levels. Meanwhile, it found that a 100ug booster dose gave an 83-fold increase in neutralizing antibody levels

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

well if they cant read the numbers on the syringe then I doubt they can give a shot.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
I be had no side effects at all from the Pfizer booster I received. I was a little worried as I had it 2 days before Christmas but it all turned out good. One of our friends was telling us she was getting calls to rearrange boosters because people didn’t want to be ill over Christmas [emoji2359]. Yeah, go to the back of the queue and stop clogging up yet more NHS resources!

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Became eligible for booking the third shot today. Wohoo!

Slots disappeared (got booked by someone else) between me selecting them and getting to confirm them. Plenty of people out there who want it, that’s good. 👍

Got myself a nice booking for next Monday. Gambling on next week with a limited dose of public transit being less less of a risk overall than this week with a convoluted one.

No clue whether it will be another Pfizer or if I’ll join the Moderna gang. Time will tell.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
I haven’t mentioned this online yet but about a week after my booster I woke up with a lot of pain in my left arm. The doctor thinks this could be due to the needle from my booster and although most of the pain has gone, I have lost strength in my arm. I can’t lift a 4 pint carton of milk above my head and was due to go back to the doctors on Wednesday as they had x-rayed my shoulder. My youngest daughter has tested positive for covid so I don’t think i’ll be seeing the doctor now. Looks like i’ll need physio and possibly some steroid injections. It’s just unfortunate.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I haven’t mentioned this online yet but about a week after my booster I woke up with a lot of pain in my left arm. The doctor thinks this could be due to the needle from my booster and although most of the pain has gone, I have lost strength in my arm. I can’t lift a 4 pint carton of milk above my head and was due to go back to the doctors on Wednesday as they had x-rayed my shoulder. My youngest daughter has tested positive for covid so I don’t think i’ll be seeing the doctor now. Looks like i’ll need physio and possibly some steroid injections. It’s just unfortunate.

Sorry to hear that.

Sounds like it could potentially be SIRVA - Shoulder Injury Related to Vaccine Administration. This occurs when the needle is injected too high in the arm hits the bursa of the shoulder instead of deltoid muscle of the arm.

This is not unheard of and is usually the result of poorly trained medical staff or those giving injections hastily.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.

Sounds like it could potentially be SIRVA - Shoulder Injury Related to Vaccine Administration. This occurs when the needle is injected too high in the arm hits the bursa of the shoulder instead of deltoid muscle of the arm.

This is not unheard of and is usually the result of poorly trained medical staff or those giving injections hastily.

That is what they think it might be yeah. Ironically the nurse who gave me the injection had been a nurse for 30 years and was in her late 50’s. Strange and just one of those things I think.

The injection mark is on the front rather than the side of my arm too.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that.

this what they thought my wife had before they found the bad joint.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
That is what they think it might be yeah. Ironically the nurse who gave me the injection had been a nurse for 30 years and was in her late 50’s. Strange and just one of those things I think.

The injection mark is on the front rather than the side of my arm too.

Could have been a hasty mistake, especially if she was doing shot after shot for hours on end. Or maybe she hasn’t had to do a lot of deltoid IM injections given whatever her usual responsibilities are.

IIRC correctly you’re in the UK, but in the US under normal circumstances you would be potentially eligible for compensation under VICP, Vaccine Injury Compensation Program… but the COVID Vaccine is under another program, Countermeasures Injury Compensation Program. I believe difference is CICP requires serious injury rather than any type of injury and the COVID vaccine exists in this category because of its EUA. CICP also don’t cover legal bills or pain and suffering. Any success with CICP historically is rare while VICP settles 60% of cases.

The original idea between VICP was to not hold pharma companies or providers responsible for injuries in an effort to ensure they would not turn away from providing vaccines out of fear of liability, thus the government took on that burden. They have a list of vaccines and accepted known adverse effects. If you can reasonably prove the vaccine caused the injury, then you get compensated. It’s far less complicated than a civil case.

Generally speaking though, has been talk of removing SIRVA from the list of accepted vaccine injuries and putting that liability back on providers.

The-Real-Deal82

Site Champ
Reaction score
My arm is hurting less but I haven’t got my strength back. I don’t really want to go down the legal route and at the moment I am hoping it’ll continue to improve.

My youngest daughter tested positive on Sunday and so far my wife, eldest daughter and myself are all negative. I have a feeling by the weekend this may change though.

Top Bottom
1 2