Vaccine Booster

tobefirst

not questioning anything
Reaction score
We're having a harder time here in CA, at least in the larger metro areas... most are at least a week out.
I drove three hours each way to get my first shot back in March before I was technically eligible and the metro area was sold out, but the rural areas had plenty because, well, you know. For my second shot and the booster, I was able to get it much closer.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Anecdotally, I’m not seeing a ton of enthusiasm for getting booster shots. I work on a team of 16 people, and I’m the only person who’s had it. One of the team is a 60 year old woman in bad health. Most of them are in their 20s and 30s. The ones I’ve spoken to about it respond like it’s news they can get one, but don’t seem interested.

Our employer gave it to us on site for the first two shots, which the whole team got, but haven’t offered a booster yet.

Since I'm in healthcare, it's a requirement. I'm not sure what happens if someone refuses the second booster. But given that at this point we've all had at least 2 shots, I wouldn't expect tons of pushback on the third. That would seem an odd point to take a stance. I know multiple on my team who have already gone in.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Anyone get any arthritis flare ups? Its been three weeks since my booster and the very mild arthritis in my knees and right thumb have become very noticeable starting 3 days after my booster. I didn't have any such trouble after the first two shots of Pfizer, but I decided to get the Moderna booster and thats when my current issues starting happening.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Anyone get any arthritis flare ups? Its been three weeks since my booster and the very mild arthritis in my knees and right thumb have become very noticeable starting 3 days after my booster. I didn't have any such trouble after the first two shots of Pfizer, but I decided to get the Moderna booster and thats when my current issues starting happening.
All three of my COVID vaccines were Pfizer, I have pretty bad arthritis in my hands and haven't noticed any difference at all.

chengengaun

Slightly Confused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Had my Moderna booster shot yesterday evening. I was told that the Moderna booster shot was half the dosage of that for primary doses, while Pfizer's booster is full dosage like the first two primary shots. (This is practiced in Singapore; seems that CDC recommended the same as well.) It's just over 24 hours and I am starting to get feverish; I developed quite a bit of muscle ache earlier in the day.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Had my Moderna booster shot yesterday evening. I was told that the Moderna booster shot was half the dosage of that for primary doses, while Pfizer's booster is full dosage like the first two primary shots. (This is practiced in Singapore; seems that CDC recommended the same as well.) It's just over 24 hours and I am starting to get feverish; I developed quite a bit of muscle ache earlier in the day.
Hang in there, it won't last too long.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

Pretty much everyone I know got hit hard with the third shot. If I'm being a completely honest baby about things, it sucked. But it's far better than the alternative!

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Pretty much everyone I know got hit hard with the third shot. If I'm being a completely honest baby about things, it sucked. But it's far better than the alternative!

I seem to be the only exception to this. Everyone I knew was also sidelined for a day or so after receiving their 3rd dose, and I was expecting much the same for me.

...it didn't do anything. Barely even made my arm sore. Makes me wonder if it's even working for me or not.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I seem to be the only exception to this. Everyone I knew was also sidelined for a day or so after receiving their 3rd dose, and I was expecting much the same for me.

...it didn't do anything. Barely even made my arm sore. Makes me wonder if it's even working for me or not.
Same here. Didn't have a reaction to all three shots. It is working though. Any reaction, or lack thereof, to the vaccine is not an indication of whether it's working or not.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

I was like that with the first two. Others I know got hit hard. I didn't. I had a sore spot if I was thinking about it. But for the most part, I didn't even notice.

chengengaun

Slightly Confused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hang in there, it won't last too long.

Wow, the Moderna booster hit me much harder than the Pfizer second dose. The fever was mild and lasted 12 hours. I also had mild swelling on the injection site which didn’t happen with Pfizer’s. Later on I felt too tired to get out of bed and had to cancel a lunch appointment. Strangely though, the effects wore off quickly after that and I am now able to enjoy a meal outside.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I got my booster shortly after being eligible as a healthcare worker. My first two shots were Pfizer, which besides injection site pain made me pretty tired. I had no noticeable symptoms with my booster from Moderna (and got the flu shot at the same time). I was quite surprised.

Unfortunately a lot of people waited to get their booster, include most healthcare professionals I work with, many not until shortly before Thanksgiving. The most recent data I’ve seen says only 15% of eligible Americans have their booster (65% over age 65, not terrible). But only 7% of the black community have been boosted. Thats not good at all.

Between omicron and the holidays, now everyone is scrambling to get boosted. The local pharmacies here in the Boston area pretty much all booked. Some hospitals are offering walk-ins, but I’ve heard it’s a nightmare. All the mass vaccination sites were shut down months ago.

The only places for the most part I’ve been able to find appointments are at 3am at 24hr CVS 20 minutes outside the city and lower income areas of Boston (ie Dorchester)… which likely doesn’t speak well to vaccination rates in the less privileged communities.

I can’t speak for other places, but my state, at least in the greater Boston area, needs to figure out how to get more shots in arms, quickly.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I got my booster shortly after being eligible as a healthcare worker. My first two shots were Pfizer, which besides injection site pain made me pretty tired. I had no noticeable symptoms with my booster from Moderna (and got the flu shot at the same time). I was quite surprised.

Unfortunately a lot of people waited to get their booster, include most healthcare professionals I work with, many not until shortly before Thanksgiving. The most recent data I’ve seen says only 15% of eligible Americans have their booster (65% over age 65, not terrible). But only 7% of the black community have been boosted. Thats not good at all.

Between omicron and the holidays, now everyone is scrambling to get boosted. The local pharmacies here in the Boston area pretty much all booked. Some hospitals are offering walk-ins, but I’ve heard it’s a nightmare. All the mass vaccination sites were shut down months ago.

The only places for the most part I’ve been able to find appointments are at 3am at 24hr CVS 20 minutes outside the city and lower income areas of Boston (ie Dorchester)… which likely doesn’t speak well to vaccination rates in the less privileged communities.

I can’t speak for other places, but my state, at least in the greater Boston area, needs to figure out how to get more shots in arms, quickly.
It's the same in California, like you I got mine as soon as I was eligible (pre-existing condition) and I was able to schedule it 4 days out. Now it's weeks out for all my friends, for some reason I thought we had more available and I'm not sure if it's just logistics or what but it's sort of crazy right now.

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
It's the same in California, like you I got mine as soon as I was eligible (pre-existing condition) and I was able to schedule it 4 days out. Now it's weeks out for all my friends, for some reason I thought we had more available and I'm not sure if it's just logistics or what but it's sort of crazy right now.

The US actually has/had a surplus, at least as of a couple months ago. In fact, we had so many extras that they were being throw away. This is absolutely shameful considering the vaccination rate in less developed country.

I don’t believe the issue is a lack of vaccines- especially when you consider 98% of sites are scheduling appointments, which likely correlated to how many doses they expect to have. Talking to my friends that work in retail pharmacies, the issue is there just aren’t enough appointments at enough locations. And pharmacies here have hired additional staff (pharmacists and nurses) with the sole job of giving vaccines.

Multiple times I’ve been shopping in a CVS and see 15 people waiting in line for their scheduled booster. They apparently keep falling behind because of technical difficulties with their electronic system running on an android smartphone/barcode scanner thing, which is different than the normal pharmacy software running on computers. I can’t imagine having to type in patient data all day on a smartphone. You have to wonder how many people just leave without getting their shot.

It would be be nice if the state could rapidly re-deploy mass vaccination sites.

Top Bottom
1 2