Village Idiot and VA Governor Glenn Trumpkin: I am going to ban the teaching of CRT in schools. Senate Democrats: No you're not

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
A Virginia Senate committee on Thursday killed two key pieces of education legislation sought by Republican Gov. Glenn Youngkin, including one that was designed to eliminate teaching of critical race theory in K-12 schools.

The committee also killed a bill that would have made it easier to create charter schools in districts that perform poorly on math and reading.

Education reform has been a key part of Youngkin's agenda, but Democrats hold a narrow 21-19 advantage in the Senate. Republicans had held out some hope that the Senate Education and Health Committee, which has several moderate Democrats, would provide bipartisan support to parts of Youngkin's agenda. So far, though, Democrats have largely been able to kill Youngkin's bills.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Republicans had held out some hope that the Senate Education and Health Committee, which has several moderate Democrats, would provide bipartisan support to parts of Youngkin's agenda. So far, though, Democrats have largely been able to kill Youngkin's bills.
Unfortunately "moderate Democrats" will eventually allow GOP legislation through. A couple pieces already passed committee votes and a couple votes were 8-7 with a moderate Dem's concerns not being met before voting against GOP-backed legislation. And once legislation gets through committees, Lt. loon Governor Winsome Sears will be the tie-breaking vote in the VA Senate as it's President.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I am embarrassed that there were enough stupid (and frankly ignorant) voters in the Commonwealth of Virginia to have actually brought this clown into office. Bad enough that we had to deal with Trump on a national level; now there is no break even on the state level for those of us who live here!

Many school districts around the state, though, right now are actively disagreeing with the clown's ideas on students no longer being masked in school, and defying them. More power to them!

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
A teenage boy posted something Youngkin didn’t like, so he decided to attack him thusly on Twitter:

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1490325359568449536/

Youngkin might fulfill his promise to unite Virginians after all… against himself.
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1490334423778217984/

I also thought it might help to post what the young man did, so everyone can see what a true @$$ has been elected & put in charge.

FK7JjaVWUAABMhx

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I hope Virginians learn their lesson from this. No matter how big the smile and how tall and white the candidate is, if they are a Republican, it’s going to be bad.

It will be especially bad if their life has been spent as a cutthroat businessman. Youngkin’s life up to this point was buying companies, laying off thousands of workers at a time, transferring all debt he used for the purchase to the company itself, then a mic drop and off into the sunset… and all for his personal profit. Why does anybody think a person like that would start suddenly caring about other people?

It seems to me that the thought process (if one wants to call it that) for many VA voters was: Biden didn’t end COVID yet, so I’m voting for a Republican.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Virginia is a state which has two distinctly different political perspectives: up here in Northern Virginia we view things quite differently than those down in the southern part of the state, which is largely rural. The division is quite striking at times. AND it can be quite unfortunate, as we have seen with the election of the governor this time.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Virginia is a state which has two distinctly different political perspectives: up here in Northern Virginia we view things quite differently than those down in the southern part of the state, which is largely rural. The division is quite striking at times. AND it can be quite unfortunate, as we have seen with the election of the governor this time.
This is spot on. We live in the Shenandoah Valley region and it's maddening being surrounded by Mango's people. Our landlords are highly educated, but all they care about is taxes and/or promises of tax cuts or freezes. How they could support Youngkin + Sears is beyond me. Our area of the city has plenty of people that work for one of several schools and they're likely from out of state (like us). Explains the high turnover. Especially for Black and other people of color that can't deal with the nonsense.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Some polls in Virginia show where people stand on many issues.

1. A majority of Virginia voters prefer spending the state budget surplus on underfunded government services, such as education, public safety and social services (59%), rather than providing tax cuts or tax rebates (38%).
  2. Voters overwhelmingly support cutting the 2.5% grocery tax, either by a total repeal (47%) or by giving low-income Virginians a tax credit (25%).
  3. Voters support teaching how racism continues to impact American society (63% to 33%) and oppose a ban on the teaching of Critical Race Theory in public schools (57% to 35%).
  4. Virginia voters support vaccine mandates for first responders (58%), teachers (57%) and medical providers (61%), while opposing mandates for elementary students (55%) and middle school students (51%). On masks in schools, voters say health data should be used to determine mask requirements (56%) versus leaving the decision to parents (41%).
  5. Voters strongly support stationing a police officer in every school (70%).
  6. On abortion, a plurality oppose a 24-hour waiting period (49% to 44%), while a majority oppose requiring an ultrasound (57% to 36%) and a ban on abortions at 6 weeks (58% to 33%).
  7. Voters support the state’s membership in the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative carbon cap-and-trade program (67% to 26%) and the Virginia Clean Economy Act (67% to 28%), a law requiring the state to generate 100% of its electricity from renewable energy by 2050.

This list makes me wonder why they voted for Youngkin, who is on the other side of most of these issues. I’m guessing a) getting kids back in school and b) grocery tax.

His approval is only 41%, so voters seem to be regretting their votes.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
With the cost of groceries and other items continuing to increase, I for one would appreciate a total repeal of the grocery tax, and I think it should be provided to all Virginians, as regardless of income level, as everyone needs food, we all need to eat.

I also strongly support using the surplus to support underfunded state government services, as there are many agencies (and their clients) that are seriously in need.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
With the cost of groceries and other items continuing to increase, I for one would appreciate a total repeal of the grocery tax, and I think it should be provided to all Virginians, as regardless of income level, as everyone needs food, we all need to eat.
It’s crazy to me that the Democrats didn’t end this regressive tax during the Northam years. It left a huge opening for Youngkin.

Top Bottom
1 2