Wage Rage

JayMysteri0

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I saw an article linked by @JayMysteri0 (on a popular Mac rumor website) concerning restaurants and wages, and it made me think about minimum wage in America. I found this interesting quick take:

I've always found that an interesting complaint. Businesses need to raise their prices to maintain profitability & stay in business, because of ever rising costs during the past few decades.

YET those same businesses can't raise wages for their employees to keep up with ever rising costs, or they will ALSO got out of business.

Curious, who do businesses think their continued customers are? If you raise your the prices of your wares, but don't want to raise the wages of employees, who's going to pay for those wares?

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
I've always found that an interesting complaint. Businesses need to raise their prices to maintain profitability & stay in business, because of ever rising costs during the past few decades.

YET those same businesses can't raise wages for their employees to keep up with ever rising costs, or they will ALSO got out of business.

Curious, who do businesses think their continued customers are? If you raise your the prices of your wares, but don't want to raise the wages of employees, who's going to pay for those wares?
Didn’t I read somewhere that many Wal-Mart workers are also on food stamps just to make ends meet? Pay wages far too low for people to survive on, and rely on the government to fill the gaps.

With such a wonderful deal, you wonder why they support Republicans who want to kill all social safety nets. Maybe they think if they eliminate that, it will lower their taxes and they can force workers to do 80 hours a week?

With the rising costs of childcare, many couples are deciding to only have one member work. I wonder if that‘s part of this. Fewer workers overall, and the ones who are working need to pay all the costs for the family, so they’re not going to waste time on a low-paying job.

The government certainly isn’t going to act on a minimum wage anytime soon. Luckily capitalism seems to be pushing up wages on its own… much to the chagrin of the wealthy who only ever expected capitalism to benefit them and not the proletariat.

BigMcGuire

Power User
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
2004 I worked for Wal-Mart in the TLE department in a midwestern state. I made $4.50/hr (if I remember right) in the TLE department. I was told we were the highest paid employees at that particular Wal-Mart besides the loss prevention.

Simply put, if you worked at Wal-Mart, that wasn't your only job. It couldn't be. lol.

The best jobs were the auto steel plants. But those were closing left and right (I actually lost a job - without warning the plant shut down - at a steel plant - making almost $13/hr - 2004 - midwest). Best thing that happened to me - pushed me to California for work. But at the time it devastated tons of people in the surrounding towns.

JayMysteri0

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Didn’t I read somewhere that many Wal-Mart workers are also on food stamps just to make ends meet? Pay wages far too low for people to survive on, and rely on the government to fill the gaps.

With such a wonderful deal, you wonder why they support Republicans who want to kill all social safety nets. Maybe they think if they eliminate that, it will lower their taxes and they can force workers to do 80 hours a week?

With the rising costs of childcare, many couples are deciding to only have one member work. I wonder if that‘s part of this. Fewer workers overall, and the ones who are working need to pay all the costs for the family, so they’re not going to waste time on a low-paying job.

The government certainly isn’t going to act on a minimum wage anytime soon. Luckily capitalism seems to be pushing up wages on its own… much to the chagrin of the wealthy who only ever expected capitalism to benefit them and not the proletariat.
The long time complaint concerning Wal Mart is of course that it's a company owned by the richest family in America, but their company's employees are amongst the top beneficiaries of welfare benefits.

• Walmart and McDonald’s are among the top employers of beneficiaries of federal aid programs like Medicaid and food stamps, according to a study by the nonpartisan Government Accountability Office released Wednesday.

• The question of how much taxpayers contribute to maintaining basic living standards for employees at some of the nation’s largest low-wage companies has long been a flashpoint in the debate over minimum wage laws and the ongoing effort to unionize these sectors.

This is a family that I think I last read makes $4 million dollars an hour, but their employees need gov't assistance. Because that's how the Waltons can make that much an hour by offloading the means of survival of their employees on the US gov't.

MissNomer

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
So if the CEOs of these companies only gave themselves, say, a million dollars a year, they could afford huge raises for all their employees.
What, and perhaps not to be able to afford the corporate jet, the 16 cars, the nannies and au-pairs & other wait staff, the 8 vacation homes or the 3 country-club memberships?

Hardly fair now is it? Think of all the minimum wage people who'd be effected by such actions? No, we need to pay them more so they can continue to trickle down that wealth to us proles...

/s (hopefully obviously!)

MissNomer

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Whilst I like our current CEO, I do find it graiting when he talks about how hard he works then forgets that when he gets home he doesn't need to worry about bills, the leaking toilet, calling the doctor or dealing with s sick kid (he's got folks to deal with all that).

And after a hectic conference he does like to take the jet down to Florida and relax on his boat for a few days.

There's an absolute disconnect there. After a heavy conference we get to go home, catch 5 hours sleep and then deal with all the shit we've ignored for a week dealing with work instead.

I'm lucky, I get paid pretty well for me work - and I get freedom to do things my way with very little involvement from anyone (lucky to speak to my boss more than once a week). I also know I get a shit ton of freedoms as a result and my poor suffering wife earns half my salary, puts up with 4 times as much shit and works twice as hard as me.

The big difference is, I make sure she's aware how much I appreciate her hard work and that I value her job more than my own in many ways.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
2004 I worked for Wal-Mart in the TLE department in a midwestern state. I made $4.50/hr (if I remember right) in the TLE department. I was told we were the highest paid employees at that particular Wal-Mart besides the loss prevention.

Simply put, if you worked at Wal-Mart, that wasn't your only job. It couldn't be. lol.

The best jobs were the auto steel plants. But those were closing left and right (I actually lost a job - without warning the plant shut down - at a steel plant - making almost $13/hr - 2004 - midwest). Best thing that happened to me - pushed me to California for work. But at the time it devastated tons of people in the surrounding towns.
I remember working at McDonald’s in the 90s. We all laughed when the “hiring” sign said “competitive wages” which were $4.30 compared to the minimum wage of $4.25. Ah yes, very competitive, when one’s competition is the minimum wage itself...

JayMysteri0

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
So if the CEOs of these companies only gave themselves, say, a million dollars a year, they could afford huge raises for all their employees.
I believe at one time I heard that if they gave every employee a $1K each just for funsies, I mean EVERY employee, the family wouldn't even notice it in their wallets. I forgot what the other factoid was, but basically if Wal Mart simply improved the pay of every Wal Mart employee to the point of improving their lifestyles, the Walton family would NOT notice it in their wallets. That's what makes it so despicable.

When I worked for Carrier I remember there was a time when Robert Reich was a regular commentator he often discussed employee pay to CEO pay. At that time, with the good money I made, I believe the CEO of United Technologies was making more than 300+ times my wage. What Robert Reich argued is that CEO's ultimately are never actually responsible for the product their company's produce. It's often to make a company look good to shareholders to have a CEO they can trust, which often involves them being friends with the shareholders.

When the cuts began after a popular plant manager left for another plant, I began to see how it worked. Our plant did well for quite awhile, so it was the plant one wanted to be seen running, to move onto bigger & better things within UT. A new one would come in, rinse, repeat.

When things began to turn down a little bit ( we literally got muffins one year for a Christmas gift ), it hit me what a plant manager / CEO's real job is. Their job is to keep their job. Once things go south in anyway, the talk & search begins to find out who ELSE can be let go to get things back where they were. You start from the redundancies you used to count on to make things easier, to who won't be missed, to what lines can be put with other lines, etc. At no point is the plant manager or their team in danger. The only time the real sweating for them starts is when middle management starts seeing the door, then you know shit is getting real.

P_X

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a family that I think I last read makes $4 million dollars an hour, but their employees need gov't assistance. Because that's how the Waltons can make that much an hour by offloading the means of survival of their employees on the US gov't.
They have about 1.6M employees, if you divide them into concurrent 4 shifts that's 400K people working at the same time. They could bump worker's hourly by $5 and still make $2M an hour. If this is true.

Top Bottom