Waiting for and/or enjoying my M1 Pro/Max MBP thread…

Agent47

Power User
Reaction score
I got banned for reponding to something like „Apple users are just posers, clueless morons“ with something like he‘s the biggest poser of all.
I got banned for it, he didn‘t. I have a feeling they protect trolls on purpose. Its like with newspapers and bad news: there is no bad news. Only no news is bad.
Heated discussions are great! For a forum, only no discussions are bad. The trolls keep the arguing going….

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I got banned for it, he didn‘t. I have a feeling they protect trolls on purpose. Its like with newspapers and bad news: there is no bad news. Only no news is bad.
Heated discussions are great! For a forum, only no discussions are bad. The trolls keep the arguing going….

One of the mods has spoken up basically saying that they don’t want the forum to turn into an echo chamber when discussion about this sort of thing came up. But honestly, it comes across as shallow when moderation policy is turning into a “why did you punch back?” style approach to dealing with trolls. It doesn’t work with bullies in school, it doesn’t work with folks stirring up nonsense on forums.

There’s a reason I’ve been on that forum for ~18 years, but lurked for most of it.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Highly relevant to our discussion of RISC vs. CISC, my little girl found this old piece of Exponential Technology swag I must have left abandoned in some cupboard and made me this Hanukkah present.

Attachments

• 9F029D47-4A85-4B4C-A604-F716627EFE48.jpeg
    9F029D47-4A85-4B4C-A604-F716627EFE48.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
One of the mods has spoken up basically saying that they don’t want the forum to turn into an echo chamber when discussion about this sort of thing came up. But honestly, it comes across as shallow when moderation policy is turning into a “why did you punch back?” style approach to dealing with trolls. It doesn’t work with bullies in school, it doesn’t work with folks stirring up nonsense on forums.

There’s a reason I’ve been on that forum for ~18 years, but lurked for most of it.
The problem is that their approach has basically turned TOP into Troll City. In particular the Apple Silicon forum is infested with Trolls who spam FUD with impunity because they know the mods there actually protect them.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
You mean the ridiculous Stockfish thread where it was apparent early on the OP was both using a non-native version of it AND using the wrong settings?

I read through a few pages of that thread, and yeah, it was pretty dumb, but I was expecting a deeper level of mouth frothing stupidity.

...guess that's just the burnout from my PRSI days talking.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I read through a few pages of that thread, and yeah, it was pretty dumb, but I was expecting a deeper level of mouth frothing stupidity.

...guess that's just the burnout from my PRSI days talking.

It's been cleaned up a few times by the mods

Top Bottom
1 2