Waiting for and/or enjoying my M1 Pro/Max MBP thread…

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Now, this is interesting. Two laptops running fluid simulations in Blender, the left a Ryzen 5900, the right an M1 Pro. This is pure CPU vs. CPU here.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Now, this is interesting. Two laptops running fluid simulations in Blender, the left a Ryzen 5900, the right an M1 Pro. This is pure CPU vs. CPU here.

The fluid tests make ryzen look silly.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
My wifey bought one for work today. It's a beautiful machine, and I really like some of the subtle touches in design. The new MagSafe design is very nice, and the huge touch-bar is fantastic.

I'll love my 2015-era MBP, but the new 16" M1 MBP is dead sexy.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
If I was a betting person, probably not. M2 will probably have it since it is likely to be based on the A15.

U

User.45

This makes me wonder...will Apple enter the VR realm?! These GPUs could actually drive a high-end VR system. finally

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
If I was a betting person, probably not. M2 will probably have it since it is likely to be based on the A15.

I don’t think that’s the issue (it looks like a lot of the other blocks besides the CPU are related to blocks in A15) so much as the image processor on the a15 may be focussed on the camera, and the more general neural blocks on the M1 max/pro are so big they can probably handle the load.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
This makes me wonder...will Apple enter the VR realm?! These GPUs could actually drive a high-end VR system. finally

They’re more likely to push more towards AR, since it’s more of a fit for their customer base, and they already have hardware out there that can immediately take advantage of it.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I picked up my base 16 inch MBP yesterday. I was supposed to use up my gift cards, but due to Apple not exactly making it clear when & how trade ins work with purchases, ( If you are NOT paying monthly, basically any trade in made in store gets you gift cards instead of being applied directly to your purchase. So if you are paying the whole thing off at time of purchase, do your trade ins BEFORE purchase so you will get your gift cards, to THEN apply it to your purchase afterwards ) so I now have my gift cards back but in digital form.

:sick:

Anyways with some other trades & being able to return my original 14in choice I was able to bring down price of the base 16in to being pretty reasonable and I still have my gift cards. If that makes sense. I also got the fabled 'polish cloth' for laughs.

51637262464_154d259be6_c.jpg

I wanted the increased screen real estate over my previous 13in M1 MBA, since I already use a 12.9 iPad Pro often.

51636816063_909c4a0acc_c.jpg

The new MBP will be my work station at home that I can take between rooms, while the iPP will be for taking anywhere.

I've gotten the screen sharing to work from the iPad to the MBP, but not vice versa. I am really looking forward to being able to use the desktop version of Clip Studio Pro with the iPad, to avoid the yearly subscription. I can find Duet or Luna display if I can't figure out things.

The MBP is waaaaaaayyyy more than I will need, which I don't mind. The speakers on this thing are VERY good. Also Apple's claim that the MBP can power higher end headphones is true, which is a pleasant surprise. It's got a headphone jack!

After years of Apple conditioning us to get smaller, with the exception of selling more expensive iPhones, I don't have anything to carry or protect the 16 inch notebook. I'm using an old sleeve for a Wacom Tablet until I can find cases & a sleeve.

Good times.

Top Bottom
1 2