Waiting for and/or enjoying my M1 Pro/Max MBP thread…

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
No idea if this will work here, but at least a few of us seem to have placed pre-orders, so let’s try and use this thread to share experiences relating to arrival of our machines, unboxing, initial impressions, etc. And if no one cares, then we’ll know for next time :)

I’ll start. I ordered the 16” Max, 32 GPU cores, 64GB/4TB, space gray. I also ordered a few extra 140W power bricks and USB-C-to-MagSafe 3 cables. I did not order a polishing cloth ;-) Due to arrive Nov 10-17, though some of the bricks and wires look like they’ll arrive next week.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Hey, when you all get your Macs, I'm gonna ask you all to run some benchmarks for me.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey, when you all get your Macs, I'm gonna ask you all to run some benchmarks for me.
Happy to oblige, as long as the benchmark software is easily obtained.

Big question right now is the GPU performance with 32 cores. All the reported scores seem to be what you’d expect for 24 cores, so either the scaling falls off a cliff after 16 cores, or nobody has benchmarked a 32-core machine yet.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
14” next to the 13“ (from AppleInsider)

1634928601318.jpeg

Renzatic

Reaction score
Big question right now is the GPU performance with 32 cores. All the reported scores seem to be what you’d expect for 24 cores, so either the scaling falls off a cliff after 16 cores, or nobody has benchmarked a 32-core machine yet.

I haven't seen much concerning the CPU, but from what I've read elsewhere, it seems that the M1 GPU scales linearally, pretty much as you'd expect. The 32 core GPU in the M1 Max is roughly 4x faster than the 8 core GPU in the base M1 in almost all tests.

I'll see if I can dig up a link.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I haven't seen much concerning the CPU, but from what I've read elsewhere, it seems that the M1 GPU scales linearally, pretty much as you'd expect. The 32 core GPU in the M1 Max is roughly 4x faster than the 8 core GPU in the base M1 in almost all tests.

I'll see if I can dig up a link.

That would be great. The highest numbers i‘ve seen are around 3x the M1, which is why it must either be a 24-core version or something goes awry after 16 cores (either possibility is possible. Looking at the floorplan, I would expect that after 16 cores, you take a small hit due to the mirroring of logic. I would think it would be in the neighborhood of a couple percent, though, not “32 cores performs only as well as you would expect 24 cores to.”

Renzatic

Reaction score
You can read through this discussion I'm having over at Blenderartists here. There's some nuggets of info, and a couple of links here and there, but most of it is assumptions, and us shooting the shit.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I ordered the 14" with the highest Pro chip, 32 Gigs RAM, 1 TB. The order says delivers Nov 5 - 10. First new personal computer for me since my MacBook Pro 13", mid 2011.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I ordered the 14" with the highest Pro chip, 32 Gigs RAM, 1 TB. The order says delivers Nov 5 - 10. First new personal computer for me since my MacBook Pro 13", mid 2011.
Well you’ll definitely notice a difference, then :)

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Well you’ll definitely notice a difference, then :)
I'm hoping...

To be fair, my work laptop is a 1 year old Xeon with 16 gigs RAM and a 500 gig SSD, and I use multiple workstations at home, it's just that most of those have been re-purposed desktops, so the performance has always been decent at least.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Happy to oblige, as long as the benchmark software is easily obtained.

Here's what I'll want you to benchmark. It's a simple scene I made in Blender awhile back. The link to the actual file is within the description.

The only downside to it is that you'll only be able to test Cycles with CPU rendering, since Blender won't have Metal GPU support until 3.1, which isn't due out for a few months yet. Still, it'd be interesting to see what the numbers are.

For reference, this scene takes 1:50 to render at 300 samples on my Geforce GTX 970. The CPU, an i5 4590, takes 8:50 to render with the same settings.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's what I'll want you to benchmark. It's a simple scene I made in Blender awhile back. The link to the actual file is within the description.

The only downside to it is that you'll only be able to test Cycles with CPU rendering, since Blender won't have Metal GPU support until 3.1, which isn't due out for a few months yet. Still, it'd be interesting to see what the numbers are.

For reference, this scene takes 1:50 to render at 300 samples on my Geforce GTX 970. The CPU, an i5 4590, takes 8:50 to render with the same settings.

I downloaded the file. See you in November with results :)

U

User.191

Sorry, @Cmaier but this thread is just pointless.

Far better you should have started "let's all spend 25 hours a day tracking our MacBook Pro deliveries" thread and "circle jerk eachother as we pretend to have a first clue as to how the international fright system works".

Now THAT would have been a good thread...

(I'll let myself out before the door is slammed in my ass)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry, @Cmaier but this thread is just pointless.

Far better you should have started "let's all spend 25 hours a day tracking our MacBook Pro deliveries" thread and "circle jerk eachother as we pretend to have a first clue as to how the international fright system works".

Now THAT would have been a good thread...

(I'll let myself out before the door is slammed in my ass)

I don’t disagree entirely, but these sorts of threads seem to be popular so I figured I’d give it a shot. Can also serve as a thread to collect hints about using new features, add-on’s, etc., once we all get our machines.

U

User.191

I don’t disagree entirely, but these sorts of threads seem to be popular so I figured I’d give it a shot. Can also serve as a thread to collect hints about using new features, add-on’s, etc., once we all get our machines.
But how will you know if you’re getting it without YayAreaLivin helping you track it?

Top Bottom
1 2