Waiting for and/or enjoying my M1 Pro/Max MBP thread…

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Ah. Still good considering unoptimized.

Based on what I've seen, I'm expecting the M1 Max to roughly match a Geforce 3050-3060 in rendering performance once Metal integration is completed.

Though they're expecting the Metal Cycles render to be introduced for a later 3.1 alpha, which is probably a couple months away. I might redo my scene to be a better benchmark for it.

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
Based on what I've seen, I'm expecting the M1 Max to roughly match a Geforce 3050-3060 in rendering performance once Metal integration is completed.

Though they're expecting the Metal Cycles render to be introduced for a later 3.1 alpha, which is probably a couple months away. I might redo my scene to be a better benchmark for it.
That can easily be so - there are videos showing it going toe to toe with a 3080 and effectively tying, but at a far superior PPW.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
That can easily be so - there are videos showing it going toe to toe with a 3080 and effectively tying, but at a far superior PPW.
By the way, when it was doing that render for 2.5+ minutes using 100% GPU and 103% CPU, the fan was silent. I assume it was running, but I couldn’t hear it even with my ear to the computer.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
By the way, when it was doing that render for 2.5+ minutes using 100% GPU and 103% CPU, the fan was silent. I assume it was running, but I couldn’t hear it even with my ear to the computer.
What data I’ve collected on the 16” at least is that the fans aren’t even run until the cores get going, and then it can basically hold at 1500RPM or so (the slowest they spin) nearly indefinitely. It’s a huge difference from the 16” Intel system I have to use for work.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
Sat down last night to some nostalgia in the form of the Unreal Engine version of Myst that was released for VR. Not a terribly demanding game, so it played smoothly. It did make certain parts of the case just as hot as my old Intel, but the fans still ran at about 1500 RPM.

There’s something weird I’m noticing with power usage. The M1 Max’s GPU is supposed to be a 55-60W part, but I’ve yet to see more than about 30W out of it. While playing, the whole package was using less than 40W, with around 25W of that being the GPU. I’m left wondering what it takes to actually max out this GPU.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sat down last night to some nostalgia in the form of the Unreal Engine version of Myst that was released for VR. Not a terribly demanding game, so it played smoothly. It did make certain parts of the case just as hot as my old Intel, but the fans still ran at about 1500 RPM.

There’s something weird I’m noticing with power usage. The M1 Max’s GPU is supposed to be a 55-60W part, but I’ve yet to see more than about 30W out of it. While playing, the whole package was using less than 40W, with around 25W of that being the GPU. I’m left wondering what it takes to actually max out this GPU.
Probably it only hits that power with GPGPU workloads

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
One thing I have liked about first M1 and now M1 Pro is how cool they run. It's nice to have a powerful laptop that doesn't have the fans singing every time I need to do something more strenuous with it. While the YouTube videos keep running M1class SOCs up against Intel high end desktop units the REAL revolution here is in laptops - Apple Silicon has rewritten the proverbial book on laptops by making a truly high performance but power (and thus heat) efficient laptop a reality.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
One thing I have liked about first M1 and now M1 Pro is how cool they run. It's nice to have a powerful laptop that doesn't have the fans singing every time I need to do something more strenuous with it. While the YouTube videos keep running M1class SOCs up against Intel high end desktop units the REAL revolution here is in laptops - Apple Silicon has rewritten the proverbial book on laptops by making a truly high performance but power (and thus heat) efficient laptop a reality.
There’s a thread over at the other place where some guy is complaining that Tj is 100C. I tried explaining what that means and why he shouldn‘t worry, but he has built his own PCs, so his expertise is superior.

Joelist

Power User
Reaction score
There’s a thread over at the other place where some guy is complaining that Tj is 100C. I tried explaining what that means and why he shouldn‘t worry, but he has built his own PCs, so his expertise is superior.
Okay I actually went back there and read the whole thread......:LOL::ROFLMAO:😝. I gotta give you patience props for dealing with the two "individuals who reside under bridges" in a relatively civil manner. Stuff like that is actually why I started not to go there anymore and am happy to land here - it is supposed to be a MAC forum not an Anti Apple forum...

mr_roboto

Site Champ
Reaction score
In my experience it's almost impossible to teach armchair experts who build PCs that Tj=100C is fine if that's under the rated operating temperature of the device. Years of exposure to overclocker forum echo chambers have filled their brains with the idea that temperatures that hot are universally bad, and they will not listen to anyone telling them otherwise.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay I actually went back there and read the whole thread......:LOL::ROFLMAO:😝. I gotta give you patience props for dealing with the two "individuals who reside under bridges" in a relatively civil manner. Stuff like that is actually why I started not to go there anymore and am happy to land here - it is supposed to be a MAC forum not an Anti Apple forum...

The mods went through and deleted a bunch of stuff, looks like.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Anyone here testing out battery life?
Sorta. I plug it in when it's about 10%, get to 100 and then see how long until the next time. It's died on me twice, so I'm still getting my usage patterns dialed in. Experimental test, no. Just anecdotal.

Andropov

Site Champ
Reaction score
Anyone here testing out battery life?

I unplugged it the week after I got it out of curiosity. Here's some anecdotal evidence:

Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 11.27.24.png

I had about 18h of screen time during that period, but all lightweight stuff (I work on another MacBook on workdays). So very good battery life in that use case.

For heavy stuff, you can still drain the battery in under 4h. Something funny about it: since the fans almost never spin up into audible levels, you can drain the battery very fast without realising that the task you're running is heavy. For example, the day I got it I had to compile a lot of source to get all the Python packages I use (NumPy, SciPy, Numba & NetworkX) to work on the same Python version. And while doing it, the battery was draining fast (~15%/hour). I was a bit concerned, but then I opened the Activity Monitor and realised I was using all cores at max. And then I remembered, when I did the exact same thing on the i9 MBP, the fans were so loud that I plugged it in because I didn't expect the battery to last long. On the M1 Pro, I didn't even realize the task was very CPU intensive until I saw the battery draining.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I unplugged it the week after I got it out of curiosity. Here's some anecdotal evidence:

View attachment 9901

I had about 18h of screen time during that period, but all lightweight stuff (I work on another MacBook on workdays). So very good battery life in that use case.

For heavy stuff, you can still drain the battery in under 4h. Something funny about it: since the fans almost never spin up into audible levels, you can drain the battery very fast without realising that the task you're running is heavy. For example, the day I got it I had to compile a lot of source to get all the Python packages I use (NumPy, SciPy, Numba & NetworkX) to work on the same Python version. And while doing it, the battery was draining fast (~15%/hour). I was a bit concerned, but then I opened the Activity Monitor and realised I was using all cores at max. And then I remembered, when I did the exact same thing on the i9 MBP, the fans were so loud that I plugged it in because I didn't expect the battery to last long. On the M1 Pro, I didn't even realize the task was very CPU intensive until I saw the battery draining.
Yeah it’s definitely disorienting not to have any feedback to tell you that the machine is cranking hard.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thread has gotten weirder. People seem to be registering just to insult a couple of us.

Top Bottom
1 2