Warner Bros./Discovery presents their new logo!

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I know I criticize WB a lot here, but dammit, how can I help it when they do stuff like this?

Please tell me it was the holiday weekend and they couldn’t contact any of their graphic artists, so they whipped something together in PowerPoint that reminded them of “Superman, the Movie”. 😵

More like their graphic artists see the cost-cutting handwriting on the wall and so were home designing really cool resumés.

The previous mega-mergers involving AOL and Time and Warner did not turn out to have anywhere near the synergy (or even the energy) that their respective then CEOs bragged on, so I don't know what anyone should really expect this time either.

There's something about those huge media libraries, I guess, that people keep thinking can generate whole new realms of profit not yet even imagined. Yet in practice all that has happened is that assets have been spun off, debt loaded in, massive cost cutting has occurred in the realm of middle management and worker bees, and some CEOs and VPs walk away once more with whatever gold was woven into their exit packages.

It has to be demoralizing for those who are still around as long term and supposedly valued mid-level employees. I remember once doing some work for clients in the HBO component of TW after that AOL-TimeWarner debacle of a merger had occurred.

Everyone at HBO seemed shell-shocked... "Steve Case? A O L ??? Seriously?"

Anyway cost cutting was already gearing up, with signs of that becoming a suitably epic part of the newly merged outfit's corporate saga. One of the managers there who had originally worked for Time Inc. was ranting about how the healthcare options at TimeWarner were all he'd been sticking around for after the prior merger... and now even that stuff was on the chopping block: he'd just found out his preferred pharmacy right around the corner from work was no longer in the insurance carrier's network.

"All the little things"... are why that logo sucks the way it does, believe me.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I don't even get the supposed synergy between WB and Discovery. Yes, they're media companies. But that's like saying Schwinn and GM are vehicle manufacturers. Their products are totally different. I don't see this going anywhere either. Best result might be that the current management at WB gets thrown out.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I haven’t seen this episode yet, but John Oliver had something of a field day with the new logo.

He showed a clip of a former chief adviser to the prime minister warning that there is “no plan” in place to deal with (another Covid wave) and quoting another expert as saying, “I think we are absolutely fucked.”
“Wow. ‘There is no plan, we’re in huge trouble, I think we’re absolutely fucked.’ You do not expect to hear an assessment that grim unless it’s from the team behind the Fyre Festival or Warner Bros. Discovery,” Oliver said, showing the new Warner Bros. Discovery logo, which features the slogan, ‘The stuff that dreams are made of.'”
“Hi there, new Business Daddy,” he said. “Just checking in to say I absolutely love the corporate logo you dropped this week. It looks like the opening title of The Simpsons if the fonts were not found.”
…“‘The stuff that dreams are made of’ is a quote from The Maltese Falcon about how the thing that seemed like a priceless treasure was actually worthless garbage that brought chaos and despair to everyone around it. Anyway good luck with the merger, I’m sure everything’s gonna go great.”

You have to admit, they left themselves wide open on this one.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I haven’t seen this episode yet, but John Oliver had something of a field day with the new logo.

You have to admit, they left themselves wide open on this one.

Oliver was hilarious ... and the ending credits for his previous show also. A warning shot across the bow so to speak.

Why are these media behemoths doing this kind of thing yet again, it's just absurd. Last CEO standing won't even be able to hire beancounters, they'll all know there's nothing left to consolidate and no creative teams with any juice left in house...

Top Bottom
1 2