WatchOS 8

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
This handwashing counter is such a gimmick. I've been laughing about it for the past 2 days since I realized that I have to rub my arms by moving my elbows in the most theatrical way possible for it to count. This would only work if I was scrubbing in but, well, for that you take your watch off.
I bet, on the whole, it makes users wash their hands longer though.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
The hand washing detection has randomly stopped working for me. It used to work flawlessly but now all I get is the microphone indicator but it never starts the countdown no matter how long I wash.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
The hand washing detection has randomly stopped working for me. It used to work flawlessly but now all I get is the microphone indicator but it never starts the countdown no matter how long I wash.
After the recent update mine was turned off. Had to go to Settings and turn it back on.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
This handwashing counter is such a gimmick. I've been laughing about it for the past 2 days since I realized that I have to rub my arms by moving my elbows in the most theatrical way possible for it to count. This would only work if I was scrubbing in but, well, for that you take your watch off.
It’s a total joke. If you wash properly it doesn’t count. If you just rub your palms together vigorously it counts. 🙄 Yet if I’m washing a pot or pan, it counts just fine.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
So the reason why the hand washing stopped working for me is because my microphone is completely broken! Got an express replacement on the way.

U

User.45

So it turns out the only device Siri is usable on is my watch. I press and hold the crown and I don't have to wait for the acknowledgement beep or it wait for me to finish. Again, this watch is the best home remote I've ever had in my life. Phenomenal. It's also hands down the most comfortable to wear watch I've ever had. Sometimes I have to check if I was still wearing it. This is the only smart watch I didn't develop a subconscious habit of taking it off in my sleep. Theater mode also seems to be giving me about 3 days of battery life. Reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Back when I used traditional wrist watches I routinely found myself taking them off whenever possible, like placing it on the desk at school/work or taking it off when arriving home for the day. That just doesn’t happen with my Apple Watch. At least once a week I go to bed without remembering to take it off and put it on the charging stand, and I can fall asleep without taking it off. Great work, Apple!

So the reason why the hand washing stopped working for me is because my microphone is completely broken! Got an express replacement on the way.
Hmm. Makes sense to combine motion sensing with sound to detect hand washing. Cool! Happy hand washing!

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
So it turns out the only device Siri is usable on is my watch. I press and hold the crown and I don't have to wait for the acknowledgement beep or it wait for me to finish. Again, this watch is the best home remote I've ever had in my life. Phenomenal. It's also hands down the most comfortable to wear watch I've ever had. Sometimes I have to check if I was still wearing it. This is the only smart watch I didn't develop a subconscious habit of taking it off in my sleep. Theater mode also seems to be giving me about 3 days of battery life. Reasonable.

Don’t forget you can also just raise the wrist and talk, you don’t necessarily have to press the crown. At least on my watch.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Back when I used traditional wrist watches I routinely found myself taking them off whenever possible, like placing it on the desk at school/work or taking it off when arriving home for the day. That just doesn’t happen with my Apple Watch. At least once a week I go to bed without remembering to take it off and put it on the charging stand, and I can fall asleep without taking it off. Great work, Apple!

Hmm. Makes sense to combine motion sensing with sound to detect hand washing. Cool! Happy hand washing!

I wear the watch most nights for the silent alarm function where it just vibrates. Helps me to wake up and my significant other can hopefully sleep a bit longer.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Got my replacement watch and hand washing works perfectly again! Might want to check if your mic is working properly if you have problems with it.

U

User.45

Unfortunately, I got to test the AW fall detection feature after having a fall with a Lime bike. That piece of crap only had a functioning back brake and when I used it in the rain, the back wheel slid under me and the bike fell on me (these things are heavy...). I broke the fall with my arm that had the watch on and it immediately asked me if I wanted to call 911. It was really neat, I cursed pulled, the bike off the road and pressed no thanks. This could have been a lifesaver if I hurt worse.

This and being the best siri remote ever, I got to really really really like this watch. Considering the amount of use it gets, it's the best $400 I've spent.

Top Bottom
1 2