Weather

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Attitude face for sure.

Not sure which thread I posted about the rest of August being in the 80's, but I spoke too soon. Updated forecast takes us back to the lower 90's. :(

Here the story's going to be more about the humidity, thanks to a stalled front plus low energy antics of Henri this far inland. But that scenario also plays to not much natural air conditioning in the overnights and temps staying much higher, like high 60s instead of mid-50s.

The kind of weather that makes cats stretch out on the floor and become a yard long.

We're just north of where this forecast has flash flooding is most likely to occur in the Catskills. So things could be worse. Now to wonder how long before the grass can be cut again. Everyone's lawn around here this summer looks like a zebra striped pattern of overgrazed pasture versus jungle. You get to make a couple passes at part of a yard in the forenoon, after the fog burns off and before the clouds can regroup for rain, and then the skies open and that's it for the day. Then it gets hot for three days and fries what's cut, and by time it's cool enough to mow then it rains again and makes the uncut parts act like beansprouts.

Weather... my granddad's garden helper used to say its purpose was to keep us humble. Had a point!

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Today's forecast: Hot and Humid. Going to hit 95°. So what else is new?! Even though the temperature currently is 85° it actually feels more like 90 already. Another week of this.....sigh. I'm ready for cooler air, lower humidity and being able to have doors and windows open again!

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Only it’s summer 10 months of the year here.

Weren't not that bad, but April - September are pretty gross.

And that is why we are retiring to Sedona. Summer highs are similar to here, but with 15-20% humidity.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I mentioned elsewhere my misadventure yesterday trying to take my wife to the beach. (It rained.) But that wasn’t all.

It’s August. The weather yesterday was predicting a high of 89°. My daughter is a teacher in a district that doesn’t have air-conditioning in many schools, so they declared a heat day. No school.

Turned out the high was only something like 79. So really, they called off school for nothing. Today the kids had to go to school. The high is expected to be 88, and it does feel like it. 🤨

I once considered that, but I need my regular sight of the water. Landlocked states are only for after the great comet.
I won’t be around to see it, but I have a feeling the population is going to start moving back in my direction.

Recent stories about the census have indicated that, climate change wise, people are moving in exactly the wrong direction: toward the coasts and the south. These are the parts of the country climate experts say will be feeling the worst effects of climate change.

Meanwhile, here in places like Ohio, we do experience the occasional tornado, but nothing like the hurricanes and floods which often ravage other parts of the country. We landlocked (well, except for Lake Erie) folks do experience bad weather, but we remain relatively protected from the kind of disasters we see in other parts of the US.

Much as I’d love to live the coastal life—and I genuinely would—when I see the weather that happens to other states, I’m grateful I live here.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Mrs. Veil treated me to lunch earlier today, and holy crap, was it humid!

Sometimes when you say it feels like a sauna out here, you're just being rhetorical, but it really did feel that oppressively humid.

lizkat

Reaction score
They always head this way. We don’t pay much attention until they’re fairly close cause the tracks change so fast.

Looks like the oilcos are taking this one seriously.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
AQI is dangerous right now where I live, nobody can even go outside without risk and even being indoors I've had to hit my inhaler for the first time in months. They're saying people are also going to the hospitals with respiratory issues but they can't be seen because of all the antivaxxers filling them up.

IMG_3822.jpeg

lizkat

Reaction score
Much as I’d love to live the coastal life—and I genuinely would—when I see the weather that happens to other states, I’m grateful I live here.
I have enjoyed some summers that featured sailing along the New England coast (and putting in for same great fun and food ashore), but when I read about horrible storm surges and such from hurricanes, I'm happy to be a couple thousand feet above sea level and halfway up the side of a hill, in a spot where outcroppings of bedrock are sometimes only 14" below the surface. Hill-farming is hard for that reason, of course, but at least mudslides are a rarity: that bedrock's going nowhere short of an earthquake, and those are very rare here.

I'm holding a good thought for any who are in the path of Hurricane Ida this weekend and hoping all who need to do so will seek higher ground in plenty of time.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I've got a couple of window fans cooling off the upstairs, but all it's doing is bringing the humidity in. Seriously. My chair is wet right now.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
We had rain last night, but are back in a heat spell. 101 yesterday, we should peak at 98 today with a chance of rain later this afternoon.

lizkat

Reaction score
I've got a couple of window fans cooling off the upstairs, but all it's doing is bringing the humidity in. Seriously. My chair is wet right now.

We had rain last night, but are back in a heat spell. 101 yesterday, we should peak at 98 today with a chance of rain later this afternoon.

Arghh! So I'm double-counting my blessings then... 71ºF here and overcast with a breeze of about 5-7mph, just enough to make it seem cool compared to the yesterday's bake-off in the mid-80s. Somehow my lawn care guy managed to mow before nightfall and the predicted rainshowers overnight. He timed it pretty close to dark though, for the cooling air at dusk. I could barely see him at the far end of his mowing swaths by time he was wrapping it up, just the lights of his tractor were visible.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Arghh! So I'm double-counting my blessings then... 71ºF here and overcast with a breeze of about 5-7mph, just enough to make it seem cool compared to the yesterday's bake-off in the mid-80s. Somehow my lawn care guy managed to mow before nightfall and the predicted rainshowers overnight. He timed it pretty close to dark though, for the cooling air at dusk. I could barely see him at the far end of his mowing swaths by time he was wrapping it up, just the lights of his tractor were visible.
Yeah, it's merely 99 right now, so seems the best time to go get 50 lbs bags of potting soil.

Top Bottom
1 2