Weather

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
And the humidity in the 70's or higher and you can chew the air.
I’ve noticed that mostly Houston, believe it or no, is not what I would describe as high humidity, but after moisture events, yes, humid. I grew up in the Washington DC area and the worst was 80F, 80% humidity.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that mostly Houston, believe it or no, is not what I would describe as high humidity, but after moisture events, yes, humid. I grew up in the Washington DC area and the worst was 80F, 80% humidity.

Which is exactly why we are relocating to Arizona.

I have worked outside in the heat for 30 years with no issues, but the last 5 or so have just been brutal. And 40-50 degrees used to mean shorts and maybe a long-sleeve shirt. Now I am wearing base layers and thick hoodies.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
In the Bay Area where I grew up now has several 80 and 90 degree days per year and can be insufferable during heat waves, which happen nearly every year now and the temps have reached in the 100s for most ot the last decade. However, growing up there it was a really rare event to even hit the 80s. I don't know how we recover from something like this, anecdotally speaking it feels like we're too late to change it even though I know scientists have raised the alarms to try and slow it.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
We're not used to 2 or 3 inch rainstorms in the Catskills, at least not in April. They can happen sometimes in late summer or early fall. But here we are amid flood warnings all weekend, even as it threatens to snow and to freeze up overnight the next few nights. In April it used to be more like cloudy with rainshowers a few times a week. Two inches of rain in 10 hours is a whole other animal. The low overnight temps are not in themselves so unusual, but the water, wow. It's a problem.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Which is exactly why we are relocating to Arizona.

I have worked outside in the heat for 30 years with no issues, but the last 5 or so have just been brutal. And 40-50 degrees used to mean shorts and maybe a long-sleeve shirt. Now I am wearing base layers and thick hoodies.
Getting old is everything it’s cracked up to be.

lizkat

Reaction score
Getting old is everything it’s cracked up to be.

No kidding. Where's that emoticon for doubling down on the post of the day?

It's BS that we can't learn stuff easily when we get old. I have discovered all kinds of sh^t every day as I've grown older, and realized my option is either to continue learn ways to outwit my failing faculties or else just give it up and die. The latter still seems unappealing, and so I innovate, experiment, learn what works for me now when the old ways seem too hard or become perilous.

Example: I've learned to throw the laundry down the cellar steps in a soft bag because it's easier to manage than walking a washbasket down in front of me. Still simple to carry a basket of folded laundry back up those same stairs again for some reason, so I also throw an empty washbasket down the stairs ahead of the damn bag of laundry.

All to do with subtle changes in balance and spine flexibility, I guess, even though I still do dance workouts to keep my body fit for gardening chores. Someone said how about just move the laundry facilities upstairs and I said yeah when I no longer need a sewing studio, meanwhile the washer and dryer get to sulk in the cellar where they belong.

Also I no longer get up on a stepladder to change light bulbs. Finally got one of those grabbers. The comical thing there is that before I did that, I got around to getting LED bulbs and haven't had to change a bulb in five years. So my one and only experiment there so far has been changing out a light bulb with the grabber just to prove I can do it when it proves necessary. :ROFLMAO:

lizkat

Reaction score
And PS re the weather: snow today, and snow forecast for next Sunday.

This is getting ridiculous. We're used to a more than occasional late frost date (mid June is our median last killing frost), but after mid-April we don't really expect to see snow, much less that it sticks to the ground for half a day or so. Canada still shipping its leftovers south, I guess. Meanwhile in between we get the occasional summery day with a thunderstorm thrown in for good measure.

o canada.jpg

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
We had a squallette of grauple just now, showing that Spring is truly here, as it was the sloppy grauple, not like the dry stuff you get in winter.

I used to call that stuff "snail", because it was not quite snow but also not hail. "Grauple" apparently means gravel in some language or other. It stacked up a bit, whitening the grass, but now the sun is out, telling it to leave and making me turn up my screen brightness.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Yoused

up
Reaction score
One thing I can say about leaving Oregon (Beaverton and Forest Grove areas) is that I miss the snow when it happened. In CA you won't see it at all unless you're in the mountains.
In eastward parts of the country, they just put their snow where-the-hell-ever and let it lie around for 5 or 6 months giving the place a sooty white look. At least out here we know enough not to let it accumulate where people live but keep it up there in the mountains where we can go up and visit it if we are of a mood. Even in summer, if you are keen for snow, you can get some if you go high enough (I remember wanting to take the Beartooth Pass road one time in August but it was closed for a blizzard).

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
One thing I can say about leaving Oregon (Beaverton and Forest Grove areas) is that I miss the snow when it happened. In CA you won't see it at all unless you're in the mountains.
We dont get much anymore. and we have not had snow like this in April since before 1940. its melting fast though.

D

Deleted member 215

Rain this morning 😭

(Those are happy tears). I hate how starved we are for rain here. Just a little bit is enough to make me overjoyed. Rainfall total in the 2021-2022 rain year (begins October 1st) has been about 87% of normal so far (where I live specifically). That's a B. Not bad. Especially compared to last year.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Rain this morning 😭

(Those are happy tears). I hate how starved we are for rain here. Just a little bit is enough to make me overjoyed. Rainfall total in the 2021-2022 rain year (begins October 1st) has been about 87% of normal so far (where I live specifically). That's a B. Not bad. Especially compared to last year.
Yes, long overdue and it looks we'll get a couple more systems coming through as well. Funny, coming from Oregon I hated the rain because it's either raining or gray on average of 220+ days per year but in CA it's almost the opposite so I welcome it.

lizkat

Reaction score
Snow for us tomorrow or Monday. But that's April sometimes. Once we had a serious blizzard on April 11, so far the snow hits this year in April have been minor jokes compared to that. It's supposed to moderate back to real spring again towards end of next week. Looking for those daffodils amid rain showers in the meantime.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
coming from Oregon I hated the rain because it's either raining or gray on average of 220+ days per year
Well, I recall a few years back we had a bit of not-quite-rain-but-not-quite-not-rain in the last week of August, then six weeks of unbroken steel blue skies. I went to Fred's the day it rained in mid-October and let me tell you, everybody seemed so happy.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Snow for us tomorrow or Monday. But that's April sometimes. Once we had a serious blizzard on April 11, so far the snow hits this year in April have been minor jokes compared to that. It's supposed to moderate back to real spring again towards end of next week. Looking for those daffodils amid rain showers in the meantime.

Well tonight you have the Breaking Ice Moon. So spring should be here soon. I'm just worried we will skip spring and go straight to summer.

Top Bottom
1 2