Weather

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
I love me some wintry snow.

One of the benefits (according to my husband) and downsides (according to me) of living in the South-West of England is the lack of the white stuff (snow!)…

Right now the rest of England, Wales and Scotland have "Heavy Snow" warnings issued… here? If not exactly balmy, it is hardly cold. We'll just get the rain.

*sigh*

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I am in the south west too and no snow. This upsets me greatly as snow brings out the child in me.

Yep I'd far rather have the snow than rain. We narrowly dodged a flood bullet in the Catskills awhile back with a 24-36" snowdump followed by rain and temperatures around 50ºF for a few days. My ugliest experience here is occasionally having to pump a couple inches of water off the cellar floor while the daytime temps hover just above freezing... can't leave the hose outside overnight. Once the meltoff and rain occurred so soon after the snowstorm that I had to shovel four feet of collapsing snowdrift off the slanted cover of the cellar door just to be able to run the hose outside. Ugh. Asked about getting an automatic submerged pump setup and no one wants to risk it because one guy down the road who did that hit a spring just drilling through the cellar floor. I'm almost ready to roll the dice on that possibility though and offer them more money to do it. I'm getting too old for this routine of setting up for a sponge pump operation when the water table gets high and every little rainstorm feels like a mortal threat!

lizkat

Reaction score
How you know you're on the highway to February...

40% chance of snow showers. Cloudy with a high near 25.

Tracking what actually happens in January is a lesson in probabilities.

In the Catskills we call this "the season of sneaky snow" because every day the total daytime accumulation is forecast to be about a half inch.

Today for instance I woke up to an invitation to make snow angels in about three and a half inches of "fresh canvas" for the effort.

I limited my disturbance of the landscape to shoveling along the usual little path maintained for the gas delivery guy at end of month. But I have to say my inner child was tempted by that expanse of new snow and the beauty of its decoration of the shrubs and trees.

lizkat

Reaction score
Big snowdump yesterday afternoon, evening and into the night... another of those misbegotten forecasts of "total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible" followed by same forecasts for rest of the day, evening and overnight. Six inches and counting as of half an hour ago, and of course it's blowing around so the plows have been by about three times too.

I am growing more fond of GWBush's invented word "misunderestimated". Rhymes with January.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
So apparently it snowed in Malibu today. 😮

1611459382497.png

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It will now snow here. I don’t believe it can snow when the temps are in the 70’s, but I could be wrong. Of course, it will still rain. Because...this is Mobile, and that’s what happens here.

lizkat

Reaction score
Tomorrow night it's forecast to be -4ºF (-20ºC) and right here we have to subtract maybe 8 degrees F on a clear night. So -12 coming up towards a reminder of what February may soon enough have on offer. Well I did say I liked winter and good thing too, since the real thing is about to land.

I don't suppose this is Canada saying thanks a lot for cancelling the XL Pipeline permit but one can wonder. Meanwhile I predict in advance that that groundhog in Punxsutawney PA will opine that he has at least six more weeks of winter hibernation ahead of him.

Just to warm this thread up for Groundhog Day... a leftover from 2014.

global frozen left-behinds.jpg

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Tomorrow night it's forecast to be -4ºF (-20ºC) and right here we have to subtract maybe 8 degrees F on a clear night. So -12 coming up towards a reminder of what February may soon enough have on offer. Well I did say I liked winter and good thing too, since the real thing is about to land.

Hey, don't complain. The nicest weather we have to look forward to around in my neck of the woods is this Sunday, when it may hit a frosty 61 degrees.

You may think that's high, but for us, it may as well be -50.

I hate it when I have to put on a jacket. HATE IT!

lizkat

Reaction score
Hey, don't complain. The nicest weather we have to look forward to around in my neck of the woods is this Sunday, when it may hit a frosty 61 degrees.

You may think that's high, but for us, it may as well be -50.

I hate it when I have to put on a jacket. HATE IT!

Yeah but see 61ºF is a degree higher than I have my thermostat set in the daytime! Think we've been through this discussion in that other place so I won't expand on it here, except to say that my choice makes sense to me because the mean temperature here on a summer night is only 55ºF.

Just never did make sense to me to pay good money to make the place much warmer in winter than it naturally is in summer, except to make sure the pipes don't freeze along the north wall of my kitchen.

Of course I layer my clothes because i like to feel nice and cozy too. Thermals and wool sweaters are my constant companions...

Renzatic

Reaction score
I keep my thermostat set to 65, and drag a portable radiator around with me in the house during the winter.

The way I see it, if I have to layer up or, god forbid, put on a jacket, it's too cold.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I keep my thermostat set to 65, and drag a portable radiator around with me in the house during the winter.

The way I see it, if I have to layer up or, god forbid, put on a jacket, it's too cold.
I’ve been browsing US sites for too long, read that as ”if I have to lawyer up”...

That could actually make sense in my situation. We have central heating and individual apartments can‘t really control the temperature. Too cold? Lawyer up!

This weekend it is forecast to be down to -16ºC (3ºF). The central heating typically won’t keep up with larger temperature changes outside, it takes a couple days to adjust usually. I’ll have to rely on my portable radiator just to reach a cozy 65ºF.

Renzatic

Reaction score
This weekend it is forecast to be down to -16ºC (3ºF). The central heating typically won’t keep up with larger temperature changes outside, it takes a couple days to adjust usually. I’ll have to rely on my portable radiator just to reach a cozy 65ºF.

65 is cozy to you? What frozen hellscape do you live in?

lizkat

Reaction score
I’ve been browsing US sites for too long, read that as ”if I have to lawyer up”...

That could actually make sense in my situation. We have central heating and individual apartments can‘t really control the temperature. Too cold? Lawyer up!

When I lived in NYC, most of the time I was in a 15-story rent-controlled building with steam heat from a boiler in the basement. The higher floors were still mostly large apartments, often still occupied by couples or widows who'd been young children when the places were first built back in the 1940s. The place was two blocks east of the Hudson River and any buildings between there and the river were just five-story brownstones, so you can imagine the winds howling onto those upper level suites in winter.

The little old ladies used to bang on the steam pipes with a skillet to wake the super's assistant down in his apartment, conveniently located near the boiler room, whenever they felt it was too damn cold. The guy would eventually tire of the noise and pour on the heat then... but, everyone on the lower floors would be opening their windows like three inches to keep from getting roasted, so I dunno if it ever really got warm up there in the heights!

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
65 is cozy to you? What frozen hellscape do you live in?
Sweden, about 59.4º North. Pretty nice overall thanks to the Gulf Stream, lakes and stuff. The lack of sunshine is usually more of an issue than low temperatures here wintertime. When the sun returns in the spring and outdoor temperature reach 65 people will run around in shorts and t-shirts, enjoying life. :cool:

End of November was a bit less than cozy I admit, bedroom dropped to 61 before I finally got the portable heater up and running.

5A330248-4678-4CD4-85FF-F932FEA5D652.png

Top Bottom
1 2