Weather

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah but see 61ºF is a degree higher than I have my thermostat set in the daytime! Think we've been through this discussion in that other place so I won't expand on it here, except to say that my choice makes sense to me because the mean temperature here on a summer night is only 55ºF.
I agree. I keep trying to explain to my husband that if 62 is too cold to set the AC, then why would you allow it to get that cole in the winter? And if you’ll only heat the house to 68 in the winter, then why can’t you cool it to 68 in the summer? I want to set the thermostat to 68-72. Heat or cool, whichever is necessary. Meanwhile, in the winter I’ll keep the window open and the fan on.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Rat Creek in Big Sur, CA this morning after the deluge of rain they've had.

Big Sur.jpeg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

View attachment 3142
Are you in the area? I know further north at Devli's Slide HWY1 would get washed out enough that they finally had to build a tunnel through the mountain to bypass it. These cliffs are always eroding, growing up in the area I've seen so much lost to it, you would think they would know better than to build on it.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Snow in the forecast for my area! This time a real snowstorm, not a puny one or two inches. Maybe 4-6 inches, perhaps 6-8..... ?? It is supposed to start Sunday and may or may not actually dump more on us than anticipated, so it's still going to be a wait-and-watch-and-see-what-we-get. It'll be pretty when it is coming down, I always like watching it, but after the storm stops and people start tromping around int and mar the pristine beauty, it's not so much fun any more. I figure I'll be hanging out here at home for a few days until the roads and parking lots are cleared up.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Snow in the forecast for my area! This time a real snowstorm, not a puny one or two inches. Maybe 4-6 inches, perhaps 6-8..... ?? It is supposed to start Sunday and may or may not actually dump more on us than anticipated, so it's still going to be a wait-and-watch-and-see-what-we-get. It'll be pretty when it is coming down, I always like watching it, but after the storm stops and people start tromping around int and mar the pristine beauty, it's not so much fun any more. I figure I'll be hanging out here at home for a few days until the roads and parking lots are cleared up.
Hopefully you can grab some snaps before people muck it all up?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Beautiful weekend. Snow everywhere, clear skies, no wind and around -10ºC/14ºF daytime. Amazing seeing the sun for a few hours!

As expected, our central heating isn’t keeping up with the change in temperature. Less expected was a message from the utility company about a broken boiler reducing the heating capacity for the entire frigging municipality. Expected to be resolved by 7:30 PM next year. Hopefully a typo, really won’t like my next few electricity bills otherwise. :ROFLMAO:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Beautiful weekend. Snow everywhere, clear skies, no wind and around -10ºC/14ºF daytime. Amazing seeing the sun for a few hours!
I was with ya for the first two words. It was raining here this morning, but I still went out. Instead of sitting on the deck, I sat under the carport. It was just too beautiful to stay indoors. The rain has now stopped, the skies are blue, and it’s in the 70’s. This is more like it!

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems like there was supposed to be a big snowstorm moving across the Midwest and the east coast and everyone was supposed to be getting a bunch of snow. We just got a dusting despite being right in the path. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Seems like there was supposed to be a big snowstorm moving across the Midwest and the east coast and everyone was supposed to be getting a bunch of snow. We just got a dusting despite being right in the path. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes! My daughter moved into her new apartment in St. Petersburg, Florida yesterday, and boy is she happy about her timing in getting out of NYC!

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
First half of the day as beautiful as the weekend with snow glistering in the sun. :love:

Now we’re apparently in for a week of snow & overcast. No worries. We have ways to traverse our frozen hellscape.

BCBD5E23-0EB1-4ACF-8006-BFB4B166448D.jpeg

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yes! My daughter moved into her new apartment in St. Petersburg, Florida yesterday, and boy is she happy about her timing in getting out of NYC!

Some pretty photos coming out of NYC on Twitter this morning but "the mess is yet to come"....

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1356266869251076102/

Here they forecast between 6 and 14 inches... what a range! gives a clue of how variable the outcome can be from a convergence of fronts and models unsure about duration and a possible stall of the storm off New Jersey.

Meanwhile we had sneaky snow all night as a prelude. Deceptively enough, right now the sun is strong through the overcast of our approaching storm. Guess that's a kind of teaser about Groundhog Day coming up, eh? Think there won't even be enough sunshine to make a shadow tomorrow. Maybe that ol' woodchuck should skip its annual take on how long before spring. and just stay in bed.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
We ended up in one of those heavy snowbands slowing moving west this morning... we're out of it just now but the kicker is the main winds here now are from the north so it's on to the enhanced lake effect snow coming downstate from Lake Ontario and over Cayuga Lake down into the western Catkills. Fun. So another five inches by nightfall they say. But for once Ithaca's still going to get more of a snowdump out of this by the weekend than we do down here.

I read someplace that the groundhog did see his shadow in Pennsylvania today and big surprise he says six more weeks of winter. Heh, I say "the fix was in" and they let him have a good look last night during a break in the snowfall... so he saw his shadow in the light of the now waning Wolf Moon.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Holy moly, not sure It’s an Artic vortex coming but our serene Winter maybe getting a bit ugly in the US South. I realize you guys up North are used to this, but we are projecting 4 days in a row of freezing to below freezing temps in the Houston area and down to 13 degrees. That temp is laughed at in Minnesota, but here not so much. Now I have to consider how many plants we’ll lose. The lantana, boganvilla and hibiscus are likely goners. One I stuck in our shed, maybe a I’ll fit a couple more potted ones in there. And my lemon tree, hmm. :(

B05BEBDC-8049-41A1-AC8C-36F4951A2CAA.png

View attachment 3142
That seems to be not that uncommon if an occurrence in California, as I recall. Some beautiful areas out there.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Been several years since we had real snow in portland. But then we end up more frozen rain then anything else. Left ice on everything. Waking where cars have not gone is esy up I don’t sink in but where cars have been it’s like loose sand. It got down to 24 degrees and lots of wind all night you heard the ice bouncing off the windows.
1fdb5885bf4826164f11933a346d7560.jpg
649cdfb7f0dd5b82e9292d3b20f405ba.jpg
c4ab02985d919b5e9e90c88f2bf9b361.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom
1 2