Weather

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
here in portland we had record rain in April. but its been raining a lot this month and its cold. today it got up to 46 degrees and rained off and on. one day it got to 68 I think but thats the highest most of the month its been in the 50s at most low 60s.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Got out of town just in time Friday. Lots of flooding in the area. Rain gauge about 5 miles from where I grew up hit 3.58". In an hour. Places that haven't flooding in decades due to flood management, flooded. ☹️

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
It's been fairly nice where I'm at. We had a tornado watch here a few days back, and this sudden windstorm ended up knocking over a tree in my yard, but other than that, it's been fairly nice, if not a little on the cool side.

They're calling this sudden cold front a hummingbird winter on the local news. I seriously think they're making these names up as they go along.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Sitting here on generator power with my phone hotspotted to my computer as the internet is out as well.

Had 3 large storms roll through here last night/this morning, at 9, 2 and 6. The 9 wasn't too bad except it did mess with DirecTV so I missed some of the 1Q of The Finals. The 2 was a beast. Woke us up and sent the cats under the bed. The 6 mainly missed us to the east but it was as big as the 2.

The news said that one of them may be classified as a derecho.

But I figure we will be on the generator for a couple of days since our outage is fairly small. They always try to get the big chunks of customers on first. Looks like about 75K are out of power and the temps are in the 90's with indexes over 100.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
But I figure we will be on the generator for a couple of days since our outage is fairly small. They always try to get the big chunks of customers on first. Looks like about 75K are out of power and the temps are in the 90's with indexes over 100.

As predicted, they are saying Friday the 17th at 10pm for service restoration.

So glad we have the generator. But feeling sorry for those who don't as the highs are over 90 all week. And the lows aren't much better in the mid 70's.

Did I tell you that I hate humidity. That is why we are going to Arizona.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
So Summer finally decided to show up the other day. It came by unannounced, knocked on the door nonstop until someone finally answered, then proceeded to kick everyone square in the nuts.
We are still in the transition phase. It cannot decide whether it wants to be unpleaantly cold or uncomfortably warm or both at the same time. It is like muddling through the puberty of Spring before Summer's adolescence.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
We are still in the transition phase. It cannot decide whether it wants to be unpleaantly cold or uncomfortably warm or both at the same time. It is like muddling through the puberty of Spring before Summer's adolescence.

Enjoy these, your salad days.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
As predicted, they are saying Friday the 17th at 10pm for service restoration.

So glad we have the generator. But feeling sorry for those who don't as the highs are over 90 all week. And the lows aren't much better in the mid 70's.

Did I tell you that I hate humidity. That is why we are going to Arizona.

Yeah but at a certain point just the ambient heat becomes an issue aside from aggravations of humidity like inability to sweat enough to cool the body. I read that it recently hit 113ºF in Phoenix. Even without high humidity that's extremely problematic unless people have A/C and can count on the power to keep it running. I mean arriving at a point where core body temperature hits 105ºF is pretty much lights out for a human being: at that point we start cooking from the inside, and internal organs including the vascular system can't maintain or recover functionality.

Personally if I'm going to risk living with some extreme of temperature that I end up not being able to mitigate sometimes with electrical power (whatever the source), I'd rather live and die in a place where extreme cold rather than extreme heat is the more typical risk.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
That’s a pretty good change across a couple of days.

We get days like that around this time, like low-mid 70s early and by midday, 94-95 (with humidity adding another +5-10 “feels like”), so like 30 degree swings across the day.

Hahaha, speaking of, the humidity right now is 96% o_O

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sitting here on generator power with my phone hotspotted to my computer as the internet is out as well.

Had 3 large storms roll through here last night/this morning, at 9, 2 and 6. The 9 wasn't too bad except it did mess with DirecTV so I missed some of the 1Q of The Finals. The 2 was a beast. Woke us up and sent the cats under the bed. The 6 mainly missed us to the east but it was as big as the 2.

The news said that one of them may be classified as a derecho.

Is your generator natural gas?

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

We're having an almost perfect June to date, as far as temperatures go, high 60s or mid-70s during the day and mid-50s to low 60s overnight, not quite cold enough to bother any early tomatoes that are starting to try to set fruit from blossoms.

Only thing problematic lately has been a few torrential rainstorms, bad enough to wash out my bean seeds a couple times. Somehow though the local farmers have managed to work around those days and get their early hay in, since the spot forecasting nowadays is pretty good.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
On Tuesday I walked out the back door and thought I’d somehow gone right into the pool. That’s how bad the humidity was. Much better yesterday. We’ve been lucky and all the bad storms have gone north and right around us.

Top Bottom
1 2