Weather

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s hurricane season. Yippee. This is where I live, at the bottom of this stack of spaghetti.

7BDC8635-CD53-4CE2-8A45-B8CA2D6604E7.jpeg

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Oh, man. I saw the news tonight and they were talking about two tropical storms headed that way. They were coming from slightly different angles, but you could see the possibility that they could converge.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
FFS, we have a gaggle on deck. I just scored some new Gorilla 4" patch tape, some 2" waterproof duct tape, and this new 24' water inflatable barricade. I have a 20' x 100' 10 mil plastic roll, I'm going to put the cars into waterproof "sacks".

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
FFS, we have a gaggle on deck. I just scored some new Gorilla 4" patch tape, some 2" waterproof duct tape, and this new 24' water inflatable barricade. I have a 20' x 100' 10 mil plastic roll, I'm going to put the cars into waterproof "sacks".

We replaced the generator this summer. We had it installed after being without power for a month following Katrina. It was also supposed to guarantee we’d never get another major storm here. 🤞🏻

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
We replaced the generator this summer. We had it installed after being without power for a month following Katrina. It was also supposed to guarantee we’d never get another major storm here. 🤞🏻
Wow that is scary stuff! Hope you all stay safe, hang in there.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Tempted to post some link to a Catsklll Mountains realtor for ya. :)

No thanks. I've had enough of NY winters, both upstate and city burbs. I'll take the occasional hurricane, tyvm.

Do you live in NOLA? I do enjoy that place. Only been twice but I did my duty assaulting my body with booze and food.

Despite what the Weather Channel would have you believe, there are cities between New Orleans and Pensacola. New Orleans isn't even the original home of Mardi Gras in the US. Hah! They stole it from Mobile AL. We're more family friendly, but just as much fun. I used to go to NOLA a lot, these days I pretty much only go if I need a visit to the Apple store. Two hours and two states away, it's the closest.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
No thanks. I've had enough of NY winters, both upstate and city burbs. I'll take the occasional hurricane, tyvm.

After a few particularly harsh winters here I was tempted by conversations with a pal here (who has kin in Kentucky and in Tennessee) to prowl around in the latter state for a winter hangout that wouldn't be like Florida but wouldn't show me -20ºF out the kitchen window in winter either. Eventually settled for a better woodstove.

Now I don't burn wood any more and the winters aren't as brutal (or haven't been for awhile), but in the meantime the idea of moving house again has grown less attractive. And judging from some news accounts of at least Tennessee and covid-19, I might not be thrilled by their political views of the virus, even if there's some of that politicization around here too. As for Kentucky, well... it would be nice to be able to help kick Mitch out of office, but I'm not wanting to move there to do it.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Anyone here in the storm(s) path? Marco appears to have been a cream puff, Laura looks like a raging bitch.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone here in the storm(s) path? Marco appears to have been a cream puff, Laura looks like a raging bitch.
Marco fell apart. More than enough rain though. I'm hoping Laura continues her Westerly trajectory. No offense, Texas.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Good luck folks. I'm just sitting here with an excessive heat warning, with the temp hovering around 104 and no rain.

A pipe in the street exploded earlier this week, and a good chunk of water ended up in my front yard, so now my trees don't look like they'll wither and die. But, without any rain my rainwater harvesting system is running short, so the pump won't run, and now I have to hand-water the back acres. (I'm making the kid haul Home Depot buckets out there to toughen him up.)

The mountain house on the other hand is reporting a nearly full tank, but I might have to discharge some of the water because it's got a bunch of ash from two fires in it. So, 2020 continues to be garbage.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Marco fell apart. More than enough rain though. I'm hoping Laura continues her Westerly trajectory. No offense, Texas.

Flee more to the south (southeast). We have LOTS of booze, the clothing requirement here is extremely optional, I'm busting out a longboard, I mean, nothing goes better with alcohol than night surfing ...

Top Bottom
1 2