Weather

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The mountain house on the other hand is reporting a nearly full tank, but I might have to discharge some of the water because it's got a bunch of ash from two fires in it. So, 2020 continues to be garbage.

Sounds scary! Take care of the.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Sounds scary! Take care of the.

Neither fire threatens the house, but there was a huge fire earlier this year, and then one far north, then the California fires were dropping ash here, and now we've got another fire in a different mountain range. The mountain house is all stone work, with a metal roof, but one bad lightning strike and we could lose it. I'll have to head up and check the water system, and possibly have to dig out the Pulaski's and start carving a new fire break.

I'm worried about the cottonwoods if this keeps up. The little shrubby mesquites are basically glorified weeds, but I've got a few big, old cottonwoods that shade the house and yards. I have a bad feeling that my son's kids won't get to see them.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm worried about the cottonwoods if this keeps up. The little shrubby mesquites are basically glorified weeds, but I've got a few big, old cottonwoods that shade the house and yards. I have a bad feeling that my son's kids won't get to see them.

We had cottonwoods when I lived in Wyoming. I haven't seen any since, so about 50 years. It was one of those that my brother climbed...and then got stuck. We had to call the fire department to get him down.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
We had cottonwoods when I lived in Wyoming. I haven't seen any since, so about 50 years. It was one of those that my brother climbed...and then got stuck. We had to call the fire department to get him down.

Yeah, I climbed up to cut down a branch, and had a moment of "I regret this," even while wearing climbing gear. They're huge for southern Arizona. Compared to the redwoods in California, they're weeds, but still.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Jeebus.

Cat 3, likely becoming a Cat 4 this afternoon, weather sources are saying storm surge will reach 30 miles inland.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
A buoy located near Laura clocked a wave height of 37 feet Wednesday morning.

For people without height perspective, if you live in an average 2-story house, that's generally 20-25 feet, so if it was actually 3-story, that wave would go over the top ...

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Twitter this morning was full of bad portends. There's live footage of air tankers picking up water in California, footage of a 17-year-old shooting people in Kenosha, and the line "unsurvivable" linked to storm surges because of Hurricane Laura.

Jesus Christ. Everyone in the gulf region, get high and seek shelter. Wish everyone the best.

Newsroom zoom this morning was on point. We talked about gearing our reporters, and the budget is almost entirely survival/safety equipment. Forget cameras or laptops. It's helmets and respirators, water-filters, medicine, etc. We had a whole discussion about body armor, with some asking me what it's like to wear it—it sucks—and whether that was something we should invest in to cover stories in the U.S. RSF has given this stuff out for years, but maybe we need our own supply.

I remember our fixer stuffing an AKM into the backseat, and asking me if I knew how to use it. But, that was in a dusty part of the world far from here. But, I'm wondering if a reporter going to Wisconsin needs a fixer who can strip and clean an AKM while drinking tea.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It actually feels like fall this morning. Already after 9 and still under 80 degrees. Yes, in the south, that’s fall. I wonder if it will last. I’ll go for a walk tomorrow if that’s the case!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
We would welcome any sort of fall weather or even some rain here in CA, most days we don't see the sun with the smoke and when we do it's a deep orange color. The heatwaves are like nothing we've ever seen as well, today's high is supposed to be 109 (hit 112 yesterday) and we're breaking records for the month of September. It's downright oppressive right now.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We would welcome any sort of fall weather or even some rain here in CA, most days we don't see the sun with the smoke and when we do it's a deep orange color. The heatwaves are like nothing we've ever seen as well, today's high is supposed to be 109 (hit 112 yesterday) and we're breaking records for the month of September. It's downright oppressive right now.

My mother was just telling me that this morning. Our turn to laugh at the perfect weather relatives in San Diego. 100 does not fall in my description of perfect.

It's quite pleasant in my neck of the woods.

Where is your neck of the woods?

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Almost my part of the world. But as they say - misery loves company! Please vote for John Osoff so he’ll stop emailing me.

Ossoff has really been going to town with all the adverts and crap, hasn't he?

I don't think he has a chance, personally. A democrat is about as likely to win in Georgia these days as an ice cream vendor setting up a successful franchise in hell.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ossoff has really been going to town with all the adverts and crap, hasn't he?

I don't think he has a chance, personally. A democrat is about as likely to win in Georgia these days as an ice cream vendor setting up a successful franchise in hell.

Which is a shame, cause the south needs it more than anyone else. We’re drowning in racism and stupidity.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Which is a shame, cause the south needs it more than anyone else. We’re drowning in racism and stupidity.

It's funny. If you asked me 5 years ago if we were more racist than any other part of the nation, I would've said no. Sure, there are the occasional backwoods towns you'll come across where they're still longing for the days of Jim Crow, but they seemed few and far between.

...a lot's changed since then.

Lostngone

Power User
Reaction score
We have bracing and building codes to
mitigate earthquake damage where I live and earthquakes are random and few and far between. If I lived in hurricane country I would build an underground house, assuming I wasn’t in a flood plain or out of concrete and kevlar with flood walls and pumps that could unsink the titanic(and a generator to power them).

Top Bottom
1 2