Weather

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Brrrr, it's cold and it's icy and it's miserable here! Glad I have nowhere I need to be as it would sure be tricky getting there! My lovely car is all icy looking and the sidewalk and parking lot pavement looks slippery.....

Yes, Decent Brother and I were chatting about the weather earier today.

Yes, the days are a bit longer, but it doesn't (remotely) feel like spring.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Holy hell, I'm not sure if our friends from outside the US saw this ... but there was a ~130 car pileup in Ft. Worth, TX:

6 dead, and some real time video of the event, which is just goddam horrific.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
the busses stopped running thats really unusual I have seen it worse and they still ran. but covid I guess. glad we have our feet to get out.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Holy hell, I'm not sure if our friends from outside the US saw this ... but there was a ~130 car pileup in Ft. Worth, TX:

6 dead, and some real time video of the event, which is just goddam horrific.
Unfortunately we in the north are all too used to watching people in states like Texas skid wildly out of control on a half inch of snow because they’re not used to driving on the stuff like we are.

We might even allow ourselves to feel superior when the worst result is some dented car bodies. But freezing rain and black ice are a bitch no matter where you live. I say that as someone who’s experienced personal physical injury because of it. This—this is horrible. Horrible and sad.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I will stop complaining about how cold I am cause it went down to the 40’s.
How cold is it getting where you are at?

Not a sight I often see, freezing rain, sleet, snow. Tonight it’s headed down to 12F which is brutal for this area (Houston). The brown tent on the other side of the pool is my car cover I’m using to try to protect both the lemon tree (small) and a Bird of Paradise. I’ve got 5 plants covered and 3 in the shed, which works well for frost, but a hard freeze is more iffy.

2CA747E9-4F97-4BC1-A382-790020ACDDE0.jpeg

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score

Not a sight I often see, freezing rain, sleet, snow. Tonight it’s headed down to 12F which is brutal for this area Houston). The brown tent on the other side of the pool is my car cover I’m using to try to protect both the lemon tree (small) and a Bird of Paradise. I’ve got 5 plants covered and 3 in the shed, which works well for frost, but a hard freeze is more iffy.

Nice little ice rink you got there! :)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
What's the point of living in the sub-tropics if we still get winter?
Because it’s a rare event, not a usual event. I’ll also take this opportunity to clarify that my living in Texas was a compromise I made for my wife’s sake. If it was up to me solely, we’d be living someplace with much more winter and less baking. :)

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Not a sight I often see, freezing rain, sleet, snow. Tonight it’s headed down to 12F which is brutal for this area Houston). The brown tent on the other side of the pool is my car cover I’m using to try to protect both the lemon tree (small) and a Bird of Paradise. I’ve got 5 plants covered and 3 in the shed, which works well for frost, but a hard freeze is more iffy.

ya that cold I don't think they will survive.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't recall seeing any of that since I've lived here. We were supposed to have a hard freeze last night, but it never got down to freezing. Now they're saying tonight. We'll see. Right now it's pouring and in the 40's. Just traditional nasty.
What's the point of living in the sub-tropics if we still get winter?
We didn't used to get real winter. I've always joked that we get 6 days of winter here. The only time I ever needed a coat was to stand in the wind to do bus duty. On the bright side, I don't have to do that anymore so I have no real complaints.

We'll see what happens tonight and tomorrow.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
ya that cold I don't think they will survive.
The issue for some people are bursting pipes due to lack of adequate insulation for such conditions. Houses with crawl spaces under them can be vulnerable.
I don't recall seeing any of that since I've lived here. We were supposed to have a hard freeze last night, but it never got down to freezing. Now they're saying tonight. We'll see. Right now it's pouring and in the 40's. Just traditional nasty.

We didn't used to get real winter. I've always joked that we get 6 days of winter here. The only time I ever needed a coat was to stand in the wind to do bus duty. On the bright side, I don't have to do that anymore so I have no real complaints.

We'll see what happens tonight and tomorrow.
Good luck. I don’t think the cold incursion is equal across the South based on latitude. Texas seems to be at the center of it. Right now it’s 14F with a high expected of 33.

Top Bottom
1 2