Weather

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
It is now officially spring in Stockholm. šŸ„³

Technically spring arrived a week ago, February 19th, but meteorological spring as defined by SMHI, the Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute, requires (among other things) seven consecutive days with ā€œspring temperatureā€ so we never know for sure until a week later. Slightly concerning though that spring is a month early...

Anyways, amazing day today, clear blue sky, singing birds, 10Ā°C/50Ā°F.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
80F low humidity is quite nice. :)

OMG, yeah, the weather here is amazing ... er, but not to be a Debbie Downer, the pollen is insane and the spring breakers can FO ... šŸ¤Ŗ

1614460357351.png

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
We would still call that winter here. Almost 80F here today. It was lovely.

No wonder those photos of daffodils! Mine are under snowbanks knowing even April Fool's Day will be too soon.

Anyway this county got by without power failures last night despite sustained northwest winds that blew from around midnight to about an hour ago, with some nasty 50mph gusts that put a breeze into front rooms even around edges of the storm windows a few times even this morning.

I'm grateful for the tree trimming the crews did along roadsides this year since the air temperature overnight was even colder than forecast, ticking down to 2 below zero rather than stopping at 7ĀŗF. Not a great night for anyone facing a power outage, for sure. Also grateful for whoever built this place (ca.1865) because they knew better than to put any windows in the upstairs of the house facing the road and that northwest blast straight off Lake Ontario hundreds of miles away.

Good practice along here is put a few conifers between road and house, otherwise 7-foot drifts find the first floor's front-facing windows and porch. Best practice upstairs is pile on the quilts and stay there until desire for coffee overcomes dislike of emerging from 90Āŗ coziness to a 50Āŗ bedroom and making a mad dash for downstairs. I tell myself it's like camping out in the state parks during autumn, only better because here I can go down to a kitchen warmed by more than the rising sun.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
No wonder those photos of daffodils! Mine are under snowbanks knowing even April Fool's Day will be too soon.
Today the daffodils, and everything else, are submerged. It doesnā€™t even matter if itā€™s hot or cold. Itā€™s just raining and gross.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
We have sunshine today although the temperature only got into the low 40's..... That's OK, I'll take it, since there was no rain, no snow, no ice, impeding my way when I needed to go out to run a couple of errands.

Our daffodils are still merely green leaves shooting up from the ground, no flowers as of yet. In the meantime I cheered myself with the promise of things to come by buying a lovely little bouquet of yellow tulips. They're sitting on the dining table now in a vase, adding delightful springlike color to the entire main living area..... Along with daffodils, I love tulips because of their intriguing shape. After I got back from the store I did have a brief shooting session with one and the results of that will be appearing in tomorrow's photo of the day..... :).

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Our daffodils are still merely green leaves shooting up from the ground, no flowers as of yet. In the meantime I cheered myself with the promise of things to come by buying a lovely little bouquet of yellow tulips. They're sitting on the dining table now in a vase, adding delightful springlike color to the entire main living area..... Along with daffodils, I love tulips because of their intriguing shape. After I got back from the store I did have a brief shooting session with one and the results of that will be appearing in tomorrow's photo of the day..... :).
My daughter buys herself a bouquet every week. She's done it for years. She just loves having fresh flowers on the table.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I don't treat myself to flowers too often, but every now and then, especially during the winter when there are no flowers to enjoy outdoors, I get the urge to bring some floral beauty and wonderful scent into the house. This bouquet just called out to me when I was walking past the flower section, and how could I resist that luscious yellow color and their wonderful, elegant shape? I've been smiling ever since!

lizkat

Reaction score
Cloudy tonight so we're catching a break and expect low of only 15ĀŗF overnight... but clearing off tomorrow with winds resuming and yep, the low will dip down to single digits for one more go at serious winter. Then some pretty spring like days setting in mid week. Everyone here wondering if there's one more good snowstorm on tap or we're going to have to settle for the glaciers we already have at ends of our driveways.

The guy who's plowing my drives this season hasn't dropped off his bill for February yet, so maybe he's figuring to tack on the tab for March and be done with it. I hope he's not painting the devil on the wall with that idea. The previous guy preferred to bill for the season, and last time he sent his bills out at the end of March, we got a blizzard on April 11th...

lizkat

Reaction score
Thinking about those in the south who were in the path of terrible tornadoes overnight and early this morning. Hope you all are safe.

The weather can be violent even here when a warm pre-spring spell lands in the mountains. Today we have had severe T-storm warnings twice already, plus advisories of sustained southwest winds over 30mph with gusts to 55, so with warnings to drivers of high-profile vehicles. The wind that strong from the southwest is very unusual for here. The temperatures continue on a rollercoaster too: a record of 72ĀŗF was set here yesterday, but next Thursday snow is in the forecast and the overnight is forecast as 17ĀŗF. March is trying to leave like the lion in came in as. Thought if it came in strong it was supposed to leave like a lamb...

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thinking about those in the south who were in the path of terrible tornadoes overnight and early this morning. Hope you all are safe.

The weather can be violent even here when a warm pre-spring spell lands in the mountains. Today we have had severe T-storm warnings twice already, plus advisories of sustained southwest winds over 30mph with gusts to 55, so with warnings to drivers of high-profile vehicles. The wind that strong from the southwest is very unusual for here. The temperatures continue on a rollercoaster too: a record of 72ĀŗF was set here yesterday, but next Thursday snow is in the forecast and the overnight is forecast as 17ĀŗF. March is trying to leave like the lion in came in as. Thought if it came in strong it was supposed to leave like a lamb...
Weā€™ve been very lucky so far. The worst weather has been at least two hours north. All weā€™ve gotten is rain, and nothing really out of the ordinary for the rainiest city in the country. Iā€™m ready for a day without a flash flood warning though.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Holy cow it was windy Thursday night/Friday morning. I pity anyone who had to put their trash cans out.

When my wife woke up and asked ā€œHowā€™s it going?ā€ I said, ā€œWell, the carā€™s laying on its side,ā€ and she was like, ā€œReally?ā€

lizkat

Reaction score
Holy cow it was windy Thursday night/Friday morning. I pity anyone who had to put their trash cans out.

When my wife woke up and asked ā€œHowā€™s it going?ā€ I said, ā€œWell, the carā€™s laying on its side,ā€ and she was like, ā€œReally?ā€

Yah one of my big ol' maple trees shed a 15' upper limb into the area of my veggie garden after a time of sustained winds very late Thursday night. Probably snapped off at some juncture that had looked convenient for a bird's nest, so after 20, 30 years of serving that purpose it may have developed enough rot to attract a woodpecker who made further inroads, et voila... so now the guy who mows my lawn will come down here with a chainsaw and collect part of his next year's firewood: most of the fallen limb (main parts of which are about 6" or 8" in diameter) looks in good shape for that purpose. Glad that thing didn't fall on my kitchen, I might be looking at replacing more than just shingles.

lizkat

Reaction score
And... here comes the punch line from ol' man winter: four to six inches of snow due here overnight. Gee. I'm ready for daffodils but it sounds like I might have to wait awhile yet. Anyway March is exiting not exactly like a lion but not like a lamb either. Heavy wet snow but warm enough it will just make a mess for a day or so, few plowmen will want to be trying to plow up wet snow off grassy driveways in ground that is already thawed. Glad I don't have to go anywhere!

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
We've gotten snow in April before. Weather here be crazy.
You could probably get away with ā€œWeather be crazyā€...

Here we traditionally make use of the term ā€œApril weatherā€. Sunshine and summer temperatures one day, rain/hail/snow and freaking cold the next. Today was thankfully closer to the former than to the latter.

And the days keeps getting longer ā€” Sunrise today at 06:15, sunset at 19:30, and weā€™re just getting started! Woohoo!

Top Bottom
1 2