Weather

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I have to say I really like the Apple "spring" squiggle they put up as their reminder of the event. Like a rainbow Slinky toy.
The iSlinky springs to life after a long winter! Love it!

eFfmdb3g.jpg

U

User.191

Ohio - you know, the frozen freaking North...

It all melted off during the day and now it's started bloody snowing again.

I'm so over this. My poor plants are being taken in and out the house so often they don't know if they're coming or going.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ohio - you know, the frozen freaking North...

It all melted off during the day and now it's started bloody snowing again.

I'm so over this. My poor plants are being taken in and out the house so often they don't know if they're coming or going.
Hey another Ohioan! 🙌

U

User.191

I’m from the North East area. We had a few inches on the ground this morning. It has mostly all melted by now but we’re still getting random flurries. Ugh.
Well, Cleveland - say no more...

Least it's not Wisconsin - Winter 300 days of the year, miserable the remaining 65 :cool:

I'm stealing myself for our next pilgrimage up to that snowy wasteland next month...

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, Cleveland - say no more...

Least it's not Wisconsin - Winter 300 days of the year, miserable the remaining 65 :cool:

I'm stealing myself for our next pilgrimage up to that snowy wasteland next month...
Yep Cleveland, where Spring includes snow.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
All of Ohio includes snow in the spring. My son was born in Toledo. Brought him home from the hospital on April 13 - in the snow. Don’t miss it.
We got about four inches total around here yesterday of which two stuck as the temperatures dropped. Today flurries... which are also sticking since it was only 18 degrees out there early this morning... guess we're aiming at 34º high today.

Fortunately the lingering snow showers are not enough to deter power utility crews from continuing to work on the direct and related damage to local grid when a professional logger got careless or overoptimistic or something and dropped a very big tree on the infrastructure yesterday... o_O

The force of the drop on the wires managed to destroy crossarms on five utility poles... which were far enough out in the boondocks so the power crews had fun carrying repair materials onto the site for repairs.

Some customers only lacked power about three hours but there was related damage to a transfer station's switching equipment so a couple thousand rural co-op customers experienced power outages for up to ten hours while that got addressed. Of course this stuff can't happen on a day when it's 60ºF outside and losing power is an inconvenience instead of potentially life threatening. I do like April better when the ground thaws enough in March that loggers give it up to the mud season sooner. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We got about four inches total around here yesterday of which two stuck as the temperatures dropped. Today flurries... which are also sticking since it was only 18 degrees out there early this morning... guess we're aiming at 34º high today.
Good gods. Why haven't you done like every other respectable older New Yorker and moved south?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
April weather today. Again. Plenty of hail, no rain. Looked pretty funny when the wind got its hands on the frozen pellets of hurt lying on the ground. Failed to get it on video though so I guess it didn’t happen.

Later saw a patch of blue sky and felt the sun shine. We live in mysterious times. 🥳

Good gods. Why haven't you done like every other respectable older New Yorker and moved south?
Heck, even non-respectable older New Yorkers move south.

lizkat

Reaction score

Born in cold climate (about 40 miles from here actually) and I'm gonna die in one. :love: tbh I can't stand the heat so a place with mean night temps of 55º is perfect for me, once we get past the seasons where the meaning of "mean" is "brutal" rather than "average".

Anyway I still do find winter up here more pleasant than battling the winds off the NYC rivers... just have to put up with the fact that winter lasts way longer in the Catskills most years. We're not part of New England but I buy into the idea that the seasons in some years can break down into "nine months of winter and three months of damned poor sledding." So far 2021 is looking like one of those years!

Also the cost of living in a stone broke county has always been lower, so as a NYC resident while I was working, there was more room in the budget for Apple gear and everything else discretionary including this then seasonal residence. After all, I'm living in a place I had bought for $15k in the 80s and only poured about $50k more into over the years. Those numbers are not adjusted for inflation but even if they were, ya get that picture.

But I have my limits and a winter like this one has been testing my patience. I like to be outside this time of year, sans parka.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
OMG, it has been amazing the last few days, sunny, a bit windy, in the upper 60s, peaking at like 70-72 mid afternoon. Went to the store, and drove around to the island to pick up these amazing homemade pierogies this local chef sells around this time (Greek Orthodox Easter ...), front tops out, all the windows down, even opened up the rear glass :D

Picked up another ~2MPG, it's showing 40MPG, hahaha, it's really almost none, as we haven't used any gas for the last week :D

lizkat

Reaction score
OMG, it has been amazing the last few days, sunny, a bit windy, in the upper 60s, peaking at like 70-72 mid afternoon. Went to the store, and drove around to the island to pick up these amazing homemade pierogies this local chef sells around this time (Greek Orthodox Easter ...), front tops out, all the windows down, even opened up the rear glass :D

Picked up another ~2MPG, it's showing 40MPG, hahaha, it's really almost none, as we haven't used any gas for the last week :D

Keep looking over your shoulder... the more northerly residents pining for spring are definitely coming at ya for that post.

EDIT: I just had to put a storm window back onto the weather side of my kitchen... one of the old window panes said ok already and finally gave it up to a gust of wind that probably topped 35mph on this breezy and deceptively sunny afternoon. The wind angles in from the northwest and works at the caulk in those panes until one of them flips out yet again. I walked out there for a cuppa coffee and discovered the curtains were fluttering for "no good reason". Ugh!

lizkat

Reaction score
Supposed to snow in the Catskills on Friday night with wind gusts over 40mph.

Yeah. April 30th. This is getting in the range of comical to absurd... even if it is just one inch of snow expected.

Friday Night
Snow showers likely, mainly before midnight, then a chance of flurries with a slight chance of snow showers after 5am. Cloudy, with a low around 29. Breezy, with a northwest wind 21 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.​

So... I didn't realize April going out like a lion was a thing but I guess that's where we're at now.

Top Bottom
1 2