Weather

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Narrow window ;) bet it's good when the conditions are right though.

It was a little better before the village ran street-lighting up farther along a county road out of the village proper. But the view to the south here at high angles (over a steep and forested ridge) is just fabulous on a clear night, yep. In lower ambient light like that, one realizes the insignificance of any single planet in the overall visible heavens, no matter how limited that view may be. It's pretty humbling, but in awesome way, not as humiliation. I love August when the Perseid meteor showers roll around again... much better chance here of a clear night than in November when the Leonid showers turn up and usually get buried in layers of clouds around here. Besides by then it's damn cold out there...

D

Deleted member 199

We had a few hours of drizzle last night, and then perhaps 30 or 40 minutes of pretty decent rain again late this afternoon. That swamp out the front doesn't look like it's going to go away any time soon.

Pretty soon it's going to attract larger and larger wildlife until one day:
(Yes we do get monitors like this in our yard from the canal at the back. Yes they do often get this big. No I don't huge them.)
1623233301750.png

U

User.45

We had a few hours of drizzle last night, and then perhaps 30 or 40 minutes of pretty decent rain again late this afternoon. That swamp out the front doesn't look like it's going to go away any time soon.

Pretty soon it's going to attract larger and larger wildlife until one day:
(Yes we do get monitors like this in our yard from the canal at the back. Yes they do often get this big. No I don't huge them.)
View attachment 5921
Aren't these dragons one of the nastiest venomous* bastards on the planet??

AFAIK, it's not venom, it's bacteria they use...

D

Deleted member 199

Yeah I believe their mouth is like a party where everyone’s got the plague.

D

Deleted member 199

Isn't that an Asian water monitor? Recent studies have shown that many of the sub-species do in fact have venom glands.
Yes, it is. I don't know specifically if they have venom or not, I don't want to be bitten either way. Mostly we get juveniles around here. They're quite funny to watch on man-made surfaces like tiles or concrete because they can't quite get a grip so there's lots of action but not an equivalent amount of movement.

The biggest we had that was close, was probably similar to that one in the photo, but it was basically being chased by 3 decent sized dogs, so it basically ran back to the canal.

D

Deleted member 199

We continue to get rain at least every other day, if not daily. I'm pretty sure the water has gone back up a bit in the front yard-turned-swamp.

At least we don't get hurricanes though.... just the remnants of typhoons...

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Mostly clear blue skies, around 22°C/72°F. Have had a few nice days here now. Getting warmer, though.

SMHI, the Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute, has issued messages regarding high temperatures. They do that if the forecast calls for three or more days with temperatures reaching 26°C. Not a formal warning, mostly a heads up aimed at caregivers. Mortality rates increase by 10% at these temperatures.

A ”Class 1 warning for very high temperatures” is issued if 30°C or more is expected for three consecutive days. Mortality rates increase an additional 10% at these temperatures.

The threshold for a “Class 2 warning for extremely high temperatures” is 30°C or more for five consecutive days or 33°C or more for three consecutive days. Didn’t see any numbers published for this step, but I don’t think the mortality rate is lowered.

It’s a different world up here. 😁

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
We're heading back into the the 100-110s for the next few days, typical for us in the California Central Valley though, the biggest issue for us is the severe drought and fire danger.

D

Deleted member 199

three or more days with temperatures reaching 26°C.

Mortality rates increase by 10% at these temperatures.

TIL the population of Sweden consists of a significant number of of snowmen.

the biggest issue for us is the severe drought and fire danger.
Well, you know what to do. Get your rake and go fix it. Also don't forget your anti-jewish-laser umbrella.

The problem isn't gonna solve itself.

Top Bottom
1 2