Weather

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's funny. If you asked me 5 years ago if we were more racist than any other part of the nation, I would've said no. Sure, there are the occasional backwoods towns you'll come across where they're still longing for the days of Jim Crow, but they seemed few and far between.

...a lot's changed since then.

Not sure anything has changed. It’s just more visible today. :(

We have bracing and building codes to
mitigate earthquake damage where I live and earthquakes are random and few and far between. If I lived in hurricane country I would build an underground house, assuming I wasn’t in a flood plain or out of concrete and kevlar with flood walls and pumps that could unsink the titanic(and a generator to power them).

Hard to build anything underground when you’re at sea level. I only know of one home in our area that has a real basement - it’s not safe during a hurricane. Most of us just have homes built on pillars.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
1599845292513.png

Here we go again. Wheeeee!!!

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Well, poop, Alli. I take it you've got a nice 5th wheel you use for these occasions, right?

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Alli is this hurricane heading your way?

Yup. Although they had planned on having children return to school tomorrow, that’s now been delayed until Wednesday due to the incoming storm. Doesn’t look like it will be much wind-wise, but we should get plenty of water.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yup. Although they had planned on having children return to school tomorrow, that’s now been delayed until Wednesday due to the incoming storm. Doesn’t look like it will be much wind-wise, but we should get plenty of water.
Okay, well hang in there!

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Geez it got cold last night. 46 here in Ohio.

We won’t see that until December. And then we may not actually see it because it will happen in the middle of the night. Hurricane Sally has cooled things off considerably here. It’s only 0730 and still under 80!

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Rough night. First time I wasn’t able to just sleep through it. Here’s a short video from 3 a.m. when I couldn’t sleep, followed by this morning. Wind is still really high, but not as much rain as we’d feared.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Rough night. First time I wasn’t able to just sleep through it. Here’s a short video from 3 a.m. when I couldn’t sleep, followed by this morning. Wind is still really high, but not as much rain as we’d feared.

Wow that's looking pretty flooded and the skies look ominous as well. Hope all stays well throughout this thing for you.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
@Alli wow that video during the night... okay to me there's nothing more distressing than rain pouring down in torrents like it will never end. Even when there are blizzards up here I shrug and figure well it will pile up and mostly evaporate before spring. But when we get one of those hurricane aftermaths up here that parks and dumps rain, I freak out waiting for it to quit because there's sometimes no place for it to go except into cellars. At least we're all pretty close to bedrock here --the other plight of hill farmers-- so it's not about potential mudslides. Hope your power stays on or doesn't go out for long.

Love your windchime there in the corner of that one video!

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Love your windchime there in the corner of that one video!

Fortunately our neighbor (now leeching power from our generator) also loves chimes. Between the two us us we must have 5 sets of chimes. Dunno how our other neighbors feel about it, but they haven’t been here as long as we have, so who cares. ;)

We figure the power will be out 2, maybe 3 days. We got the generator after Katrina, when we were without power for 3 weeks. It was miserable.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Alli So what are they telling you about power restoration in your area now?

Yesterday there were 1,700 power workers in the area. They are expecting 3,000 today. The mayor says everyone should have power before the weekend is out.

We will all be grateful - the sound of the generator is beginning to get on our nerves.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Meanwhile NOAA releases its latest 3-month drought forecasts. Every time I see one of these as the southwest and western drought conditions persist, I end up thinking how vast Lake Ontario always seemed to me as a child (couldn't see across it as we could with some of the little upstate lakes) and yet how small the Great Lakes look overall these days in the larger scheme of things.

NOAA 3-mo drought outlook 2020 Sep 17.jpg

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Meanwhile NOAA releases its latest 3-month drought forecasts. Every time I see one of these as the southwest and western drought conditions persist, I end up thinking how vast Lake Ontario always seemed to me as a child (couldn't see across it as we could with some of the little upstate lakes) and yet how small the Great Lakes look overall these days in the larger scheme of things.

I’m surprised that nobody has put in some kind of water pipeline from east to west yet. We always have more than our fair share of rain, and they never have enough.

Top Bottom
1 2