Weather

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I’m surprised that nobody has put in some kind of water pipeline from east to west yet. We always have more than our fair share of rain, and they never have enough.

Well they did always say that water would eventually be the oil of the 21st century....

There have already been lawsuits over private companies bottling water out of lakes that are in or that border NYS, I think, and I suppose that's just the front edge of what's coming.

And that's not all. Groundwater is now threatened in oil and gas drilling states by abandonment of very old deep-drilled oil and gas wells, without plugging them w/ cement, which in itself is not a long term solution to corrosion of the piping. LA Times just ran a piece on it the other day. California agriculture is what lands a lot of food on not just sunny Cal plates... and they're gonna need those ground water aquifers.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Yesterday there were 1,700 power workers in the area. They are expecting 3,000 today. The mayor says everyone should have power before the weekend is out.
I always think it's cool when they start trucking in workers from out of state. At least somebody in this country still works together for the greater good.

Glad to know you're all right. I hope the power is back on soon.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I always think it's cool when they start trucking in workers from out of state. At least somebody in this country still works together for the greater good.

Glad to know you're all right. I hope the power is back on soon.

Ya know, it’s funny you should mention that. Why can’t the states model cooperation based on the power companies. Those people have it together!

Power is back, btw. It came on shortly after I went to bed last night.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So here we go again. Too early to predict landfall, but right now we’re on the east side of hurricane Delta, which is already a Cat 4.

C’mon 2020, give us a break.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
So here we go again. Too early to predict landfall, but right now we’re on the east side of hurricane Delta, which is already a Cat 4.

C’mon 2020, give us a break.
Wish you could send some of it our way, we're at nearly 8 months with no rain and fires still burning everywhere.

lizkat

Reaction score
So today in the wee hours, the usual Halloween snowstorm duly ran a beta test and dumped a couple inches of the white stuff to make sure all systems were go.

But it apparently used up all the ice or whatever it makes snow out of, because tomorrow it's supposed to be back up to balmy weather for around here at end of October, i.e. 40-45ºF and sunny. Too bad so few in the area have plans for trick or treating with their little ones... it will be one of the first times in years we're not going to have horrible trudging-around weather. Well there's still going to be a handout drive-by at the firehall for trick or treat goodies.

Anyway, can now mark off "first snowfall" event for the year, roughly on time. Of course it has melted off and the sunshine promised for tomorrow has even shown up ahead of time. No complaints here.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Gosh, and all we got was another lousy hurricane. My neighbor has already fixed and replanted the downed tree.
FAB4E036-E660-4F7E-BBE5-123694A23A16.jpeg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We're enjoying a little cool-ish weather, it was like mid-60s this morning, sunny and 73° this afternoon, finishing up some code, having a Celebration Sierra Nevada, and we're doing a __full__deployment__ on our Halloween goodies tonight, have to put the frame for the crank ghost back together, going to hang it in the garage this year. Got another batch of these slick little multi-color/function LED tea lights, using them for all sorts of lighting FX :D

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
ice or whatever it makes snow out of
I have seen the stuff. One Saturday morning, as we finished up about 3am, I went out to the parking lot to find Kelly (a former Californian) staring in rapture at the crystal fog swirling in the glow of the streetlights. I stood next to her and gazed at it as well, because, really, one does not see it all that often, and it is quite relaxing to watch that massive swarm of glittering minutiae. Then, of course, everyone else came out and started their cars to go home, the warm, wet clouds of exhaust driving out of the sky. "Oh, damn," she said softly.

That is what it makes snow out of, only, way up in the cloud tops.

lizkat

Reaction score
I have seen the stuff. One Saturday morning, as we finished up about 3am, I went out to the parking lot to find Kelly (a former Californian) staring in rapture at the crystal fog swirling in the glow of the streetlights. I stood next to her and gazed at it as well, because, really, one does not see it all that often, and it is quite relaxing to watch that massive swarm of glittering minutiae. Then, of course, everyone else came out and started their cars to go home, the warm, wet clouds of exhaust driving out of the sky. "Oh, damn," she said softly.

That is what it makes snow out of, only, way up in the cloud tops.

Back in the day we used to put trays out to catch snowfall and make icy desserts out of it. There was a time I figured with the EPA regulations we'd be able to do that again. Now I dunno... but I don't set out trays to catch the stuff any more.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
It’s not even Dec. 1 yet and we’re experiencing what could be a real winter blast. Six-15” of snow is what they’re saying, depending on where you live.

it’s too early for this crap. 😖

Top Bottom
1 2