Welcome new members!

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I was an early adopter of Oculus. Had version #1 dev kit in 2013. I modded Skyrim for VR, and spent the rest of the day with a bucket next to me:D (turns out FOV setting matter a lot:D). I have a HTC Vive, love it but never have time to use it with the kids around.
View attachment 5108

I've not gotten sick or felt sick. Yet. But there's been a few vertigo inducing moments where I've just said Oh hell no!!! But that's getting better every time I try. I can play The Climb now (sitting) and not be afraid to look down. Richie's Plank Experience however, I've been out there once. So I can say I did it. That feels good enough for now.

I do like that the Quest 2 is completely stand-alone now. Most of the people I talked to thought it needed to be hooked up to a PC.

U

User.45

I've not gotten sick or felt sick. Yet. But there's been a few vertigo inducing moments where I've just said Oh hell no!!! But that's getting better every time I try. I can play The Climb now (sitting) and not be afraid to look down. Richie's Plank Experience however, I've been out there once. So I can say I did it. That feels good enough for now.

I do like that the Quest 2 is completely stand-alone now. Most of the people I talked to thought it needed to be hooked up to a PC.
It was because head tracking was quite laggy initially so there was a slight but significant delay and discrepancy between head movement and the picture, which was later solved by the introduction of base stations. It took some time for it to be perfected w/o those. I also messed up the FOV and I think I set it to 130 degrees, which is waaaay too much and can cause kinetosis on it own.:D That was also before I discovered the beauties of ondansetron (the best anti-nausea drug out there). With the Vive these issues were mostly mitigated, except for in Fallout that still gives me some nausea after 30 min. But that's the engine really, it did that to me even w/o VR.

Stand alone VR googles are appealing to me, but Oculus being owned by Zuckerberg is a hard pass:(

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Thanks for the invite! I've been very busy, but I'm happy to be here. The name is Mark just in case you're interested.

Now, just like how I head straight to PRSI on the other site, I'm heading straight for the tech forum here. :ROFLMAO:
Welcome to the site. If you refresh the home page you'll see everything now.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Stand alone VR googles are appealing to me, but Oculus being owned by Zuckerberg is a hard pass:(

Yeah, that bugs me too. I didn't realize it when we picked it up. If you don't do Facebook, I think you don't do Oculus. It sucks. Fortunately, I have an account I rarely use, so I was fine. But this is one time when the price of the "free" service is worth given up a little personal information for. $300 for a full-blown VR system is hard to pass up. Especially since I'm on a Mac. I'm not sure any of the PC VR stuff works on a Mac and I'd rather not jump ship back to Windows to expand my horizons at this point. So for now, it is what it is.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi. So this is where you're all hanging out!

Thanks for the invite! I've been very busy, but I'm happy to be here. The name is Mark just in case you're interested.

Now, just like how I head straight to PRSI on the other site, I'm heading straight for the tech forum here. :ROFLMAO:

Welcome, you guys!

Since you’re new here, I’ll give you the same advice I give everyone. If you don’t wanna end up somebody’s bitch, act like the craziest mutha-fucka in the room. It’s the only way to get them to respect you.

...what's that stank?

Oh yeah, that. We have MR moderators lurking here every now and then, and the Renuzit doesn’t really cover the smell.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
So glad to see you over here!
I still don't trust all that smart home stuff. The last thing I'll want to deal with after a long day are my lights and appliances freaking out because the neighbor's nogoodnik kids guessed my wifi password.
We just got back into town. Halfway here I turned on all the lights. I wish I'd known hubby had turned the AC up to 79 before we left cause I would have addressed that, too. Turned on and off lights while we were away same as if we were home. We've had no problems. (Knock wood.)

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
@bunnspecial: Please feel free to start threads and discussions on areas of interest to you (such as watches, and pens, to name but two that occur to me).

This is a fairly new site, and is being built up and put together at a pleasant, relaxed pace; however, suggestions and ideas from members as to areas that they would like to see discussed are always welcome.

bunnspecial

Site Champ
Reaction score
Terrific to see you here, and you are most welcome.

Thank you for the welcome and I enjoy seeing a lot of familiar faces.

I know my political leanings are rather different than a lot here, but I welcome good unrestricted debate at least on issues about which I'm at least somewhat educated. I tend to stay away from debates or discussions where I don't know enough to have a good conversation, but I hope you all will respect that. From what I've seen, I think that will be the case.

I'm happy too to stimulate some discussion about non-political topics where I can. I know you and I certainly share some interests!

bunnspecial

Site Champ
Reaction score
BTW, I know my last response was directed at ScepticalScribe specifically because I feel like I have conversed with her more on MR than some of the rest of you, but I appreciate the welcome from all of you. I've mostly been reading here the last few days to get the "lay of the land" but am looking forward to participating more.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome and I enjoy seeing a lot of familiar faces.

I know my political leanings are rather different than a lot here, but I welcome good unrestricted debate at least on issues about which I'm at least somewhat educated. I tend to stay away from debates or discussions where I don't know enough to have a good conversation, but I hope you all will respect that. From what I've seen, I think that will be the case.

I'm happy too to stimulate some discussion about non-political topics where I can. I know you and I certainly share some interests!
Some of the non-political topics get lots of traffic as you might have noticed. I like that because even if we have political disagreements, we realize we have more in common than we have differences.

bunnspecial

Site Champ
Reaction score
Some of the non-political topics get lots of traffic as you might have noticed. I like that because even if we have political disagreements, we realize we have more in common than we have differences.

That is very, very true and I think it's a reason why a lot of the special interest forums I join don't allow political discussions.

One of the things that really disheartens me is how incredibly polarizing politics has become in the past few years. Yes, I think Trump can be blamed for a lot of that, but both sides can be guilty of universally seeing the other side as bad, terrible, awful, or whatever adjective you want to use to describe. Even in politics, I think there's more common ground than many people realize, and the "all or nothing" take to me is a bad thing. I also get incredibly frustrated by projecting assumptions about a person based on their like or dislike of a certain candidate.

Top Bottom
1 2