Welcome new members!

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
No need for a meltdown, we’re all friends here. Chernobyl is actually high on my list of places to visit someday once the pandemic is over and I’ve decided to not have more children.

And now we've reached that point in the conversation where I'm not sure if you know I'm joking or not.

...this happens to me a lot.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
No need for a meltdown, we’re all friends here. Chernobyl is actually high on my list of places to visit someday once the pandemic is over and I’ve decided to not have more children.

Do we have a Chernobyl thread yet?

Well, for what it is worth, I paid a visit to Chernobyl in 2013; fascinating.

Actually, I did buy some fridge magnets (and my fridge is home to some interesting fridge magnets), from a small shop in the place; granted, the alphabet is Cyrillic, but, suffice to say, they are a topic of conversation whenever a guest (eventually) cottons on to what they really represent.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Did you actually get to explore a bit around Pripyat itself, or was it a guided tour?

It is a place where access is exceptionally strictly controlled, hence, all visits take the form of tours that are guided.

However, I went with friends who themselves had been there before, so they had some pointers and suggestions as to what to look out for.

A very strange and unsettling place.

MarkusL

Power User
Reaction score
It is a place where access is exceptionally strictly controlled, hence, all visits take the form of tours that are guided.

However, I went with friends who themselves had been there before, so they had some pointers and suggestions as to what to look out for.

A very strange and unsettling place.

There can be a bit of a difference between the written rules and what the tour guide will allow. When I was there in 2019 our guide gave us 30 minutes in one of the apartment buildings in Pripyat even though it was formally banned to enter any of the buildings at that time. He asked us to get off the roof and hide in the stairwells if we heard any helicopters. If anyone is interested in going there I would recommend doing it sooner rather than later. Pripyat is crumbling and the enforcement of the rules will only get stricter with time. There is also the issue with the amount of tourists which is expected to grow. In 2013 when you went there it would have been less crowded than in 2019, but the different tour companies are coordinating so that not everyone is in the same place at the same time.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
There can be a bit of a difference between the written rules and what the tour guide will allow. When I was there in 2019 our guide gave us 30 minutes in one of the apartment buildings in Pripyat even though it was formally banned to enter any of the buildings at that time. He asked us to get off the roof and hide in the stairwells if we heard any helicopters. If anyone is interested in going there I would recommend doing it sooner rather than later. Pripyat is crumbling and the enforcement of the rules will only get stricter with time. There is also the issue with the amount of tourists which is expected to grow. In 2013 when you went there it would have been less crowded than in 2019, but the different tour companies are coordinating so that not everyone is in the same place at the same time.

I was there in winter (early February), which curtailed extensive prowling - at least on my part, - as I loathe snow, and am not remotely comfortable (let alone very mobile) when dealing with such wintry conditions; the friends who had accompanied me there (to Chernobyl) had paid an earlier visit, in summer, a year or two earlier, and, I think, were able to see quite a bit more.

MarkusL

Power User
Reaction score
I was there in winter (early February), which curtailed extensive prowling - at least on my part, - as I loathe snow, and am not remotely comfortable (let alone very mobile) when dealing with such wintry conditions; the friends who had accompanied me there (to Chernobyl) had paid an earlier visit, in summer, a year or two earlier, and, I think, were able to see quite a bit more.
That's probably true. I was there in the scorching heat in August (around the same time as Rudy went to Kiev to get dirt on Joe Biden, but I did not bump into him). I don't think the guide would have let us go up on the roof if it had been cold and icy.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Hi. So this is where you're all hanging out!
All the cool kids! And party animals. Smell you later!

This is where we landed when we got banned from the MR forums. So, just be warned that you are in a den of scum and villainy. ;)
True, plenty of hardened forum criminals here. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Hi. So this is where you're all hanging out!

You are very welcome, and it is wonderful to see you here.

Please feel free to make yourself at home, and yes, you will doubtless recognise a great many familiar faces - or avatars - not to mention some very familiar names.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
This is where we landed when we got banned from the MR forums. So, just be warned that you are in a den of scum and villainy. ;)
WeeEnchantingIzuthrush-size_restricted.gif

Top Bottom
1 2