West Virginia public school forces Christianity on students

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Whatever happened to separation of church and state?

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. -- Between calculus and European history classes at a West Virginia public high school, 16-year-old Cameron Mays and his classmates were told by their teacher to go to an evangelical Christian revival assembly.

When students arrived at the event in the school's auditorium, they were instructed to close their eyes and raise their arms in prayer, Mays said. The teens were asked to give their lives over to Jesus to find purpose and salvation. Those who did not follow the Bible would go to hell when they died, they were told.

Kudos to the kids who staged a walkout in response.

Nibert and other Huntington students staged a walkout during their homeroom period Wednesday to protest the assembly. More than 100 students left their classrooms chanting, “Separate the church and state" and, “My faith, my choice.”

School security turned away reporters who tried to cover the demonstration.

“I don’t think any kind of religious official should be hosted in a taxpayer-funded building with the express purpose of trying to convince minors to become baptized after school hours,” Nibert said. During the walkout, he held a sign reading, “My rights are non-negotiable.”

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Whatever happened to separation of church and state?

Kudos to the kids who staged a walkout in response.
From the Right Wing Christian power centers that has been the agenda from the beginning, a Christian Theocracy, not only that but led by Beelzebub hisself. :oops:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m willing to make a compromise with these people. I’m willing to entertain their view that this is a Christian country when they admit it’s also racist. Students can have back to back Christian and CRT studies. We’ll start believing in things that happened over 2,000 years ago when you believe in things that happened less than 100.

Deal?

mac_in_tosh

Site Champ
Reaction score
I’m willing to make a compromise with these people. I’m willing to entertain their view that this is a Christian country when they admit it’s also racist. Students can have back to back Christian and CRT studies. We’ll start believing in things that happened over 2,000 years ago when you believe in things that happened less than 100.

Deal?
It's usually not enough for people like that to hold their beliefs in private. They have to try to impose them on others. Imagine how uncomfortable, even threatened, a non-Christian student must have felt during that assembly. They should play a Christopher Hitchens video at their next one.

D

Deleted member 215

What I heard is that this group was holding a revival there, it was optional for anyone to attend, but some of the teachers misunderstood and thought it was a mandatory assembly. As for the group even being on public school grounds holding such an event in the first place…yeah, definitely feels like a line was crossed.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
What I heard is that this group was holding a revival there, it was optional for anyone to attend, but some of the teachers misunderstood and thought it was a mandatory assembly. As for the group even being on public school grounds holding such an event in the first place…yeah, definitely feels like a line was crossed.
Religious programs in the school should be optional, student-led, and not during regular hours from what I understand of the 2001 case. None of these rules were seem to have been followed.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The Supreme Court heard arguments today about a high school football coach that publicly prayed after football games, with many students joining in.

Some saw it as protected religious practice. Others saw it as the school endorsing a religion.

I think this coach had a goal of getting attention and/or proselytizing.

Temporarily putting aside legal issues: As a Christian, should he not have lived by the following teaching?

And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
Bible - Matthew chapter 6

PS - Why is it encouraged for white people to take a knee after a game, and not for black people to take a knee before the game?

Top Bottom
1 2