WH now actually at war with certain cities

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Why did Japan attack Pearl Harbor? It was primarily because the US stopped selling them oil. Economic measures can often be seen as acts of war.

First they came for New York City, but I was not a NewYorker, so I said nothing ...

U

User.45

⬆ Don’t think that thought hasn’t crossed my mind. 😡
These are the things that could actually make the USA fall apart. What's NY's benefit for all of this when federal taxing is a net negative for them? What if New England decided to leave the Union?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
These are the things that could actually make the USA fall apart... What if New England decided to leave the Union?
Don’t think that hasn’t crossed my mind either.

Texas may have a lot of oil, but the financial centers are in New York and Chicago, and the media are based out of California and New York.

If it came to this, at worst we’d be dependent on each other. And because of that I don’t think it would lead to actual civil war.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
East Coast America, West Coast America, and the red shit in between. How do you think middle America would do without the coasts? It’s not like NY and CA don’t have farmland.
In CA the farmlands are some of the most beautiful country you've ever seen.

U

User.45

East Coast America, West Coast America, and the red shit in between. How do you think middle America would do without the coasts? It’s not like NY and CA don’t have farmland.
Exactly. It sorta feels like an abusive relationship where the alcoholic judgmental husband lectures the wife 24/7 about fiscal responsibility and thinks his wife's life would end without him, when in reality the wife is the breadwinner and the husband spends most of the money.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
And according to climate studies, farmland is moving north. Today’s crops in Mississippi might be tomorrow’s crops in Illinois.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
The Earth's axis of rotation moves slowly over a period of many thousands of years (wobble). It is currently moving toward lesser tilt, which means that the line of the Tropic of Cancer (farthest north latitude at which the sun is directly overhead at noon on the summer solstice) is moving north, at about 100' a year. So, that could be having a (very small) effect on arability of some land.

U

User.45

The Earth's axis of rotation moves slowly over a period of many thousands of years (wobble). It is currently moving toward lesser tilt, which means that the line of the Tropic of Cancer (farthest north latitude at which the sun is directly overhead at noon on the summer solstice) is moving north, at about 100' a year. So, that could be having a (very small) effect on arability of some land.
And now in English?:)

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score

The big surprise in reduced arability of land all over the planet is going to be from the effect of millions of abandoned oil and gas wells, from which it has always been easier and waaaaay cheaper to walk away, rather than to treat properly by plugging with special muds and a welded cap.

The cost to plug just California’s deserted wells—an estimated 5,500—could reach $550 million, according to a report released earlier this year. While not an insignificant price tag, the real shock would come if the industry collapses and walks away for good. In that doomsday scenario, the costs to plug and decommission 107,000 active and idled wells could run to $9 billion. And yet so far in 2020, California has approved 1,679 new drilling permits.

Sure there are laws about measuring emissions and doing cleanups of capped but leaking wells, but by time you find out who dug that ol' well in your north 40 acres, five companies have bought and sold it, or been bought or sold themselves, or just moved on or plain gone bust.

Meanwhile such wells continue to emit methane. They also corrode over time, deep underground --we're talking a couple miles, not 30 feet-- and so will eventually corrupt and pollute groundwater aquifers. That's water on which farming will increasingly depend in areas where both oil and gas drilling and agriculture currently overlap, as climate change continues to take its toll.

Even when idled wells are plugged properly, the treatment is only good for 50-100 years per some estimates, because of all the pressure and heat that the earth itself exerts on materials a couple miles down from the surface. And the real kicker is that in the USA at least there's no law requiring emissions measurement once an idled well has been plugged and sealed.

But hey I'm sure in 50-100 years we'll have found a habitable planet we can all hop on over to. And oil and gas execs figure they'll be dead before then anyway, so this quarter's profits are still the main thing to focus on. That and making sure legislators don't get focused on any of this stuff.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
And now in English?:)
"Tropical" is creeping northward (or southward in that other, forgotten hemisphere). It is not entirely clear what that will ultimately mean. Deserts are likely, I think, to become desertier, marginal areas may trend toward desertification, and places that can stay in the path of wet may become junglier.

iLunar

Power User
Reaction score
The break up of the United States of America is possible in our lifetimes if we don't seek some unity. I'm not trying to be alarmist, but "union busting" is a right-wing fascist wet-dream when it comes to both labor unions and government. If the peoples are divided, they're easier to control.

Trump/Barr are putting themselves and their personal power above country and our adversaries & enemies are taking advantage. Putin remembers the break-up of the Soviet Union. He's making sure the rest of the world experiences that pain (ie Brexit, USA, South American civil wars).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The break up of the United States of America is possible in our lifetimes if we don't seek some unity. I'm not trying to be alarmist, but "union busting" is a right-wing fascist wet-dream when it comes to both labor unions and government. If the peoples are divided, they're easier to control.

Trump/Barr are putting themselves and their personal power above country and our adversaries & enemies are taking advantage. Putin remembers the break-up of the Soviet Union. He's making sure the rest of the world experiences that pain (ie Brexit, USA, South American civil wars).
You have to wonder if there's precedent for an AG essentially being the president's personal attorney like this, it's nothing I've ever witnessed in my lifetime.

U

User.45

While I agree with the first part, I'd say absolutely fuck the Soviet Union. That shit should have fallen apart decades sooner. Those lovely "liberators" entering from the east in their tanks that forgot to leave for half a century. Fuck them!

:D Yup. Baggage. But that aside, Russians may have fond memories of this but most others in the western part of the Soviet Union don't.

That said, this takes us back to my breadwinning wife analogy. She'll take the abuse from her no good husband for the sake of the kids.

Top Bottom
1 2