What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I pay the $10/month for Peacock and am somehow not annoyed about paying it. We love the NBC comedies and they have BSG and Dr Death was entertaining. Pretty polished streaming service out of the gate.
Wish I had the extra dough laying around but paying off one surgery and have another scheduled for 11/19 plus still need to upgrade my iPhone 6. I already dropped HBO Max and Starz. I now tend to binge and then drop a service for another. I like the freedom of the ala carte method anyway.

U

User.45

I watched the first 3 episodes of The Morning Show and Foundation. I am really enjoying both. Foundation really feels like it’s going to be epic. For the Morning Show, the character played by Steve Carell (which is clearly based on Matt Lauer) is in a disgraced exile after revelations of sexual misconduct, and it’s interesting to see what he chooses to do with his life going forward. It’s just a side story, but with the rest of the show being about the war to win in the cutthroat news business, it’s a really good side story that rounds the show out a bit.
Just into episode #1 of Foundation but am already very unsure what I'm watching. I've seen more emotion in the first 10 minutes than in an entire Asimov book. I've read these books 15 years ago, but other than the names of places and characters, I recognize nothing of the story from the books.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Just into episode #1 of Foundation but am already very unsure what I'm watching. I've seen more emotion in the first 10 minutes than in an entire Asimov book. I've read these books 15 years ago, but other than the names of places and characters, I recognize nothing of the story from the books.
It has been a long time since I read the books, so I’m basically going into the series blind. The first episode covers a lot of territory, but things slow down a bit in episodes 3-5…

U

User.45

It has been a long time since I read the books, so I’m basically going into the series blind. The first episode covers a lot of territory, but things slow down a bit in episodes 3-5…
The visual language pulls a lot from Dune to The Expanse. Which is generally a good thing. The irony is that the way Trentor was described mirrors Kamino from Star Wars (I think Lucas may have borrowed the visuals from those descriptions).

U

User.45

Oh the end of the first episode was pretty decent, It managed to return to some of the books' plot so I'm not as annoyed as I was. The other irony about the Foundation is that we have the AI tech Asimov called Psychohistory. It's called Facebook and it's used to achieve the exact opposite of what Asimov thought it should do.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Same for me. I remember reading the books, but not much detail. I've watched episodes 1-3 so far and like the show enough to keep watching, though there's a lot that doesn't make sense. One reason why I loved Arthur C. Clarke's writing was that the stories always seemed plausible. I wish someone had done something with the Rama series on film or TV.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
After this last episode I think I figured out why it’s disconcerting to those of us who read the Foundation series. They are not going in chronological order of the books. They’re jumping around. I would like to suggest this is messing with my psyche-history!

U

User.45

Same for me. I remember reading the books, but not much detail. I've watched episodes 1-3 so far and like the show enough to keep watching, though there's a lot that doesn't make sense. One reason why I loved Arthur C. Clarke's writing was that the stories always seemed plausible. I wish someone had done something with the Rama series on film or TV.
ACK was a magnificent writer. I've read Rendezvous with Rama right after giving up on the last Foundation book about 16 years ago. Switching from Asimov to Clarke I found him much harder to read and too wordy with his description, but enjoyed the Rama book regardless. I got a great kick out of the description of Tripedal Locomotion. About 5 years later I started Rendezvous with Rama as an audiobook a few years later and I was dumbfounded how much I failed to appreciate the logic and coherence in ACK's writing.

Did any of you read Solaris from Lem?

U

User.45

After this last episode I think I figured out why it’s disconcerting to those of us who read the Foundation series. They are not going in chronological order of the books. They’re jumping around. I would like to suggest this is messing with my psyche-history!
The books aren't written sequentially either. I've read them in the book's chronology but Asimov went back and forth:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
But he didn’t reference Prelude in, say, Foundation and Empire. I actually read the original trilogy as a single bound book first, followed immediately by Foundation’s Edge. The only reason I remember exactly is because I read them while pregnant and right after the birth of my son in 1983. The others I read as they were released.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I’m two episodes in on Scenes From a Marriage. I’m liking it, the second ep was pretty brutal but felt real.

Finally getting around to watching the downloaded episodes... I'm liking it very much.

EDIT: (finished watching all the episodes. Worth it, definitely. And I'm gonna stay single).

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2