What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Wednesday. We've seen the first three episodes, but my wife was distracted. We may re-watch at least the last one so she can be caught up.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Wednesday. We've seen the first three episodes, but my wife was distracted. We may re-watch at least the last one so she can be caught up.

I have loved some of the Addams Family cartoons over the years, but was never sure could handle the graphic immediacy of some of the video/film spinoffs since then, even if they have tended to highlight comedic aspects rather than sheer horror. Maybe it's time to make an exception.. ?

lizkat

Reaction score
Making headway through watchlists now that winter's setting in.

Finally started Slow Horses (Apple TV), only because I was actually jolted to see mention of Season 2 in the WSJ yesterday. I was like "uh..." since when I had originally put the show on a universal watchlist that I keep on my laptop, it was on strength of some preview mention of Season 1. 🤣

Man. I will never catch up with everything. Giving it a go now though. And I do like this show.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Finally started Slow Horses (Apple TV), only because I was actually jolted to see mention of Season 2 in the WSJ yesterday.

And I do like this show.
I definitely enjoyed Slow Horses. As I've said elsewhere on the fora, ATV+ really hit it out of the park this season with their offerings.

Now watching the 3rd and final season of His Dark Materials. HBO released the first two episodes as of yesterday. I had to force myself to wait until tonight to watch episode 2.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I definitely enjoyed Slow Horses. As I've said elsewhere on the fora, ATV+ really hit it out of the park this season with their offerings.

Now watching the 3rd and final season of His Dark Materials. HBO released the first two episodes as of yesterday. I had to force myself to wait until tonight to watch episode 2.
We just finished episode 1. I said we had to wait for tomorrow to watch 2.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Harry and Meghan (2022 Netflix docu-series)- Excellent and balanced. The topic is highly charged. Imo Meghan has been a victim of the British tabloids, and as a result, there is a group of UK citizens who appear to hate her guts possibly based mostly on exaggerations and outright falsehoods. My wife spars with them on Facebook on a weekly basis. :)

I would also image racism, zenophobia, immigration issues, & nationalism plays a part, although I also believe she is not disliked by all, loved (as much as strangers can love a famous personality), and loved/liked but dissapointed by some because of the couples decision to bail on the caustic environment they found themselves in. And others who don’t blame them, including myself and like the couple without conditions. They appear to be decent people.

And why should she be hated? …other than she did not always follow protocol, heinously stole one of our princes away, and she’s a mixed breed, and our monarchy is lily white.. :unsure:

B6E86E42-284B-428E-9B2B-51FBC70F3B06.jpeg

Last edited:

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wednesday (of the Adam’s Family; Netflix 2022-)- Outcasts, werewolves, vampires, sirens and other dark creatures need an education too! A monster (beyond the students), a murder mystery at Nevermore Academy.

C53E78E7-3D2B-435E-A270-82F4A500030D.png

My intent is not to ping on Jenna Ortega unfairly. She was tasked with playing a character who keeps hers emotions tightly in-check, who goes through an entire story (so far) with one expression, never blinking, actually bravo for that, yet it feels a bit one dimensional which I imagine was the assignment. However it gets old after 5 episodes where we are at. You can decern though her actions who she likes and dislikes while projecting an anti-social, loner, robot like quality. Data (StarTrek) with his emotion chip turned off has more personality. :)

However, I won’t say I dislike the portrayal, as I said, I think she is doing exactly what she was tasked to do, to portray this character, I just have not warmed up to her. And the story is interesting enough to hold my wife and I’s interest, but it is fair as this review describes it as goth Wednesday a variation on Hogwarts, with a continuous stream of droll observations coming from the main character, but little bite in the story, even as multiple people have been murdered.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
I have loved some of the Addams Family cartoons over the years, but was never sure could handle the graphic immediacy of some of the video/film spinoffs since then, even if they have tended to highlight comedic aspects rather than sheer horror. Maybe it's time to make an exception.. ?
Wednesday (of the Adam’s Family; Netflix 2022-)- Outcasts, werewolves, vampires, sirens and other dark creatures need an education too! A monster (beyond the students), a murder mystery at Nevermore Academy.

My intent is not to ping on Jenna Ortega unfairly. She was tasked with playing a character who keeps hers emotions tightly in-check, who goes through an entire story (so far) with one expression, never blinking, actually bravo for that, yet it feels a bit one dimensional which I imagine was the assignment. However it gets old after 5 episodes where we are at. You can decern though her actions who she likes and dislikes while projecting an anti-social, loner, robot like quality. Data (StarTrek) with his emotion chip turned off has more personality. :)

However, I won’t say I dislike the portrayal, as I said, I think she is doing exactly what she was tasked to do, to portray this character, I just have not warmed up to her. And the story is interesting enough to hold my wife and I’s interest, but it is fair as this review describes it as goth Wednesday a variation on Hogwarts, with a continuous stream of droll observations coming from the main character, but little bite in the story, even as multiple people have been murdered.

I finished season 1 yesterday. Once I realized the series was very different from any prior Addams family version in film or on TV, I was hooked. It's basically a horror mystery, with Wednesday as the intrepid sleuth. Jenna Ortega, with her unblinking, deadpan facial expression and dry delivery, is excellent. Yes, she comes across as lacking in personality, but there's more to her that that. We're just not meant to see much of it yet. Apart from Thing, who's in every episode, many of the other Addams characters — Gomez, Morticia, Pugsley, and Lurch — aren't seen often. Uncle Fester does show up once.

Apparently, Wednesday has rivaled other Netflix hits for viewership, so it's likely a second season will be announced. I'm hoping to see more of Wednesday's family, including Grandmama, and Itt. I don't want to give anything away, but I suspect we'll see a different side to Wednesday when the series continues.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I finished season 1 yesterday. Once I realized the series was very different from any prior Addams family version in film or on TV, I was hooked. It's basically a horror mystery, with Wednesday as the intrepid sleuth. Jenna Ortega, with her unblinking, deadpan facial expression and dry delivery, is excellent. Yes, she comes across as lacking in personality, but there's more to her that that. We're just not meant to see much of it yet. Apart from Thing, who's in every episode, many of the other Addams characters — Gomez, Morticia, Pugsley, and Lurch — aren't seen often. Uncle Fester does show up once.

Apparently, Wednesday has rivaled other Netflix hits for viewership, so it's likely a second season will be announced. I'm hoping to see more of Wednesday's family, including Grandmama, and Itt. I don't want to give anything away, but I suspect we'll see a different side to Wednesday when the series continues.
Two episodes to go. Thing is my favorite character. :D

Last edited:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree with many of these picks. Including Better Things! Must I shout it from the rafters? It’s an incredible show.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Edit: Finished the season, thumbs up. :D

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Anyone else watching/finished season 2 of the White Lotus? OMG!

I can’t believe she basically took out the entire Italian syndicate, only wanted to know if her husband was seeing someone else, and then basically accidentally committed suicide!

Can’t wait for season three!

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

I can’t believe she basically took out the entire Italian syndicate, only wanted to know if her husband was seeing someone else, and then basically accidentally committed suicide!

Yes, I enjoyed this season alot.
That was such a derpy death, as Mike White put it. She drives me a bit nuts :LOL:

lizkat

Reaction score
Streaming on Starz: The 2017 mini-series Howards End, a co-production of the BBC and Starz, based on E.M.Forster's 1910 novel of the same name, and one I've read a few times. The series has four episodes, so almost twice as long as the 1992 Merchant-Ivory film version, which I enjoyed. I'll be interested to see how the series (written by Kenneth Lonergan) treats characters and settings of the book.

Lonergan wrote and directed a 2016 film I very much liked, Manchester by the Sea, so I'm hoping I will like the results of this earlier and very different project as well.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score

Because you mentioned this, we started and watched 3 episodes (The White Lotus) last night, I predict we will continue.. This is not my usual fare, but a human interaction dynamics with characters that are interesting and in some cases annoying enough to hold my interest. I just hope it leads to somewhere that makes it memorable. Although I worked in customer service for 30 years, I’ve learned I’d never want to be a hotel manager. :D

My understanding is that the cast changes in the second season as new customers to The White Lotus resort arrive, and that the show maybe cancelled? Not sure about that last part.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score

Just finished S1 and begun S2 late last night.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My understanding is that the cast changes in the second season as new customers to The White Lotus resort arrive, and that the show maybe cancelled? Not sure about that last part.
Season 2 changes not only cast, but venue. The White Lotus is a hotel chain, with properties all over the world.

The fun part is trying to guess out of all those noxious people (employees and guests) who is the body in episode 1, and what happened to the person. It’s great fun. Kinda like a big game of Clue.

Top Bottom
1 2