What’s on TV?

Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
EA7B3CD1-57D4-48FE-851B-81471B2BD9C6.jpeg

It’s described as a alternate reality story where the space race of the 1960s never ends. Then the first episode throws a zinger up front placing it without doubt solidly in the realm of Alternate Reality. I’m still on Episode One and wondering how intriguing will this story will be, can it be?

I’m reminded of the Philip Dick story, Man in the High Castle, where alternate realities, basically parallel universes exist side by side. That has a lot of intrigue, because both were possibilities, and it was painful watching an America run by Nazis.

Is anyone a fan of this? Would love to hear about it with minimal spoilers.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score

It’s described as a alternate reality story where the space race of the 1960s never ends. Then the first episode throws a zinger up front placing it without doubt solidly in the realm of Alternate Reality. I’m still on Episode One and wondering how intriguing will this story will be, can it be?

I’m reminded of the Philip Dick story, Man in the High Castle, where alternate realities, basically parallel universes exist side by side. That has a lot of intrigue, because both were possibilities, and it was painful watching an America run by Nazis.

Is anyone a fan of this? Would love to hear about it with minimal spoilers.
I’m 2 eps in and will slowly keep going. Pretty well done.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I caught the first episode of Debris. It made me think of the character interaction between Mulder and Sculley...and how it's missing in this show.

The premise is weird enough to be an X Files storyline, though, so I'll continue to follow it for now.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I caught the first episode of Debris. It made me think of the character interaction between Mulder and Sculley...and how it's missing in this show.

The premise is weird enough to be an X Files storyline, though, so I'll continue to follow it for now.
I‘m not sure these partners will ever get to Mulder Sculley, if only because they’re from opposite agencies.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’m now 5 episodes into For All Mankind and liking this. I had to first get over the indignation that the Russians beat us to the moon, and continuously telling myself this is not real, but now that I am acclimated to the series, I am enjoying the characters including the Women of Apollo and can go with the parallel universe nature of this story. :)There are some interesting historical samples that relate to real history and it does a great job of replicating the late 60s-70s. I love all of the astronaut’s Vettes.😄

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
...Totally new concept as far as plot goes.
Not to be obnoxious/contradictory, but I can think of a few other shows that fall into this same vein.

Warehouse 13 was about an agency that traced (IIRC) alien artifacts as well as occult objects, though it had a more comedic bent. Torchwood was literally about alien objects (and creatures) that fell through a rift in space and onto Earth, although the Torchwood hub pretty much understood how these objects worked, if not necessarily why. And the most recent show with a similar concept was Tales from the Loop, which even had an enigmatic alien artifact that resembled the one in the pilot of Debris.

It doesn't take anything away from Debris, though. I'm anxious to see where they go with this.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not to be obnoxious/contradictory, but I can think of a few other shows that fall into this same vein.

Warehouse 13 was about an agency that traced (IIRC) alien artifacts as well as occult objects, though it had a more comedic bent. Torchwood was literally about alien objects (and creatures) that fell through a rift in space and onto Earth, although the Torchwood hub pretty much understood how these objects worked, if not necessarily why. And the most recent show with a similar concept was Tales from the Loop, which even had an enigmatic alien artifact that resembled the one in the pilot of Debris.

It doesn't take anything away from Debris, though. I'm anxious to see where they go with this.
Two of my favorite shows ever, Torchwood and Warehouse 13. Tales from the Loop was so far out there I was never even sure they were living in our reality.

But you have a point. It's not so much about the artifacts in Debris, as the origin and the purpose.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
re: People dealing with alien artifacts, cursed objects, etc., do you remember the Friday the 13th Series? Absolutely __zero__ to do with the slasher/Jason flicks:

I haven't seen it streaming anywhere either, surprised this hasn't shown up on Netflix, Prime or even Shudder. It appears to be CBS/Paramount so maybe it'll make it on the new P+ service.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Episode 9 of WandaVision. Oh my!
I agree. Great limited series, creative story, and we know about the future of Vision, at least we suspect. ;) :) Now I get what @DT said about the second post credit scene. Happy to see a Skrull and almost missed the second scene. :D So this will be the new standard I suppose...

17952CD7-9331-451A-A760-9E8AEFBAA37C.jpeg

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
When you say For All Mankind, I think of a 30-year-old movie comprised entirely of NASA footage, with a perfect Brian Eno ambient soundtrack. They had 600 hours of footage to go through – there is one short scene from the camera inside the second-stage separation-ring as it slowly tumbles away from staging – to make a theater-length movie. We got to the theater a bit late, just at launch, and holy crap, a Saturn V launch on a big screen will take your breath. If you have the time, I highly recommend the quiet (and loud) beauty of this movie.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Debris was really intense last night.

Based on the three episodes aired thusfar, the plots seem to have formed a nice marriage between otherworldly horror and human relationships.

It’s kind of odd, though, that for the third week in a row the guest stars seem to me to be more likable than the two main characters. Maybe it’s just the actors I don’t like.

That portal, though, was freaking me out. It was a great idea, well-realized.

Top Bottom
1 2